Who does Seattle pick at #5? (Poll)

With the Fifth pick in the 2023 NFL draft the Seattle Seahawks select....

• Bryce Young

• CJ Stroud

• Will Anderson Jr

• Will Levis

• Jalen Carter

• Myles Murphy

• Tyree Wilson

• Bryan Bresee

• Other player

• None. They trade out

Results are only viewable after voting.

BASF

Reaction score
Oh I fully admit its a blind faith lol and it all could very well be false. I'm just trying to concince myself they won't screw up this position they're in for my mental health. In fact I honestly agree with everything you wrote.

I have been super critical of their drafting because outside of last year its just been flat out bad in my opinion even when factoring in the usual arguments like they pick low every year. My gut says this comes down to the power struggle between Pete and John on what they do and I'm in the minority but I think Pete could screw this up and set the franchise back and I hope that doesn't happen.
I actually think you are in the majority on this site (that villainizes Carroll as much as humanly possible) with the thought that he has been screwing up his underlings, especially in the draft. Personally the reports that have been saying that he gave his underlings a lot of input into who was drafted is telling. I don't consider it a coincidence that we finally got rid of Norton's influence (without him on staff, 2015-17, we drafted our best DLinemen in Clark and Reed and a pro bowl corner in Griffin) on the draft and our defensive drafting was the best in almost a decade (I think it will turn out to be our best in Seahawks history). The often stated report that Carroll vetoed picks comes directly from Me3's top shill in Colin Cowherd, who has hated on Pete Carroll for most of his career.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
If teams are concerned about Young's size, I could see him dropping to #5, with Stroud and Levis picked before him. Not likely probably, but certainly a possibility. If he's there at 5, do the Hawks pass?
I have Young as the 3rd QB taken. Young was a very good college QB but in many cases doesn’t translate to being a good pro. I feel if a QB is available JS will trade down especially if the trade includes a 2024 1st rd pick with Carolina being the target

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Consistency, I can appreciate that. And it's great entertainment value when fans think they know more than Pete and John. When in reality, no they don't, at all.
And people legit think they know more than the front office, and believe it. Good stuff.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I actually think you are in the majority on this site (that villainizes Carroll as much as humanly possible) with the thought that he has been screwing up his underlings, especially in the draft. Personally the reports that have been saying that he gave his underlings a lot of input into who was drafted is telling. I don't consider it a coincidence that we finally got rid of Norton's influence (without him on staff, 2015-17, we drafted our best DLinemen in Clark and Reed and a pro bowl corner in Griffin) on the draft and our defensive drafting was the best in almost a decade (I think it will turn out to be our best in Seahawks history). The often stated report that Carroll vetoed picks comes directly from Me3's top shill in Colin Cowherd, who has hated on Pete Carroll for most of his career.
But I don't want it to sound like I hate Pete Carrol either, I think he is an all time great coach and has helped bring us the greatest era of football in franchise history. Like most coaches though he has some strong points and weak points. I think he is near best all time at what he's good at and not so good in other areas. No coach in history has been great in every single area.

I get the disdain for cowherd but he's not the only one who has mentioned that Pete possibly has meddled in the drafting process and its causes at least a couple of bad picks. But to be fair it is all rumor and none of us truly know the truth of how that power dynamic actually plays out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have Young as the 3rd QB taken. Young was a very good college QB but in many cases doesn’t translate to being a good pro. I feel if a QB is available JS will trade down especially if the trade includes a 2024 1st rd pick with Carolina being the target
I've moved off Young a little. But watching him he was incredible. His size is almost unprecedented though and it has to be a factor.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I've moved off Young a little. But watching him he was incredible. His size is almost unprecedented though and it has to be a factor.
A thought I have had was how much different Young and Stenson Bennett are? Both about the same size and were successful with top programs 1 is thought to be the top pick in the draft where the other won’t be drafted before the 5th rd. I don’t think much separates them

KinesProf

Reaction score
but do you think that's pete's prerogative? to take somebody at #5 (he ain't lasting to #20) that raw at QB? a QB that needs serious 'molding'? at this stage of the franchise?
That's a really good point.

I suppose Pete is the only one who really knows if he's working within a fixed timeframe and is thinking about the end of the line. It could be something that we are just affixing to him due to his age/duration of tenure, but might not actually be part of his thought process. I'm not sure that, just because of age, it is necessarily a fair assumption of someone unless they've indicated as such themselves. He's been bucking typical age related convention for a while now, and I'm not sure he would have stuck around post-Russ trade / Wagner release if he wasn't up for doing it all over again.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I love Young's game, does everything at a high level. I have less concerns with height and more so with how slight he is. He is very, very light and there really isn't a precedent of success for someone with that build. Sam Bradford, if I recall, was equally slight but on a taller body and had a hard time surviving.

That said, I wouldn't put it past him to succeed. He's been overcoming for a while now.

Reaction score
Realistic:
#5 Myles Murphy
#20 Michael Mayer
#37 Hendon Hooker
#51 John Michael Schmitz

Hopeful:
#5 Jalen Carter
#20 Lukas Van Ness
#37 Siaki Ika
#51 Hendon Hooker

Aircrew

Reaction score
The draft is such a crap shoot I don't even put much thought into it until I see who they pick then how they play on the field.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Realistic:
#5 Myles Murphy
#20 Michael Mayer
#37 Hendon Hooker
#51 John Michael Schmitz

Hopeful:
#5 Jalen Carter
#20 Lukas Van Ness
#37 Siaki Ika
#51 Hendon Hooker
If the Seahawks draft a TE in the first round....then the FO needs to have their heads examined. I don't care if he's the top TE. That's the position that should be the least priority for adding to in the first round.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Anderson or Carter aren't there at 5, I think we trade down a couple spots and draft Wilson, Bresee or Murphy.

Not sure which guy Pete and John like out of these "not Anderson or Carter" guys, so hard to say. But I'd bet money we drop down, Schneider can't help himself.

Chawker

Reaction score
If Anderson or Carter aren't there at 5, I think we trade down a couple spots and draft Wilson, Bresee or Murphy.

Not sure which guy Pete and John like out of these "not Anderson or Carter" guys, so hard to say. But I'd bet money we drop down, Schneider can't help himself.
Totally agree Largent, I see us trading down to no. 9 and taking Bresee. Maybe at 20 also.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I know it will not be in first or second round but Pete definitely get a running back. Not sure why but we always seem to run through them every year. Even if KW3 and Penny are healthy we need another.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think it’s Anderson possibly trade up or their guy at QB. I think Carter as an interior guy won’t be the pick at 5. Could be wrong.