What WR's make the team this year?

chris98251

Reaction score
With the depth we have I could see a pick traded if another WR somewhere say Cleveland went down or got busted and or suspended, Kearse, Rice,being the main two, possibly Baldwin.

Not that I want it, also I think the Rice situation has been hedged with Norwood as well if he plays like the front office thinks he can.We protected ourselves with Richardson with Harvin.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
KPA":20rkkemi said:
The 4 things I believe on offence are:

1. Pryor & TJack are battling for #2. Whoever loses is cut.

2. Price will be on the PS.

3. Turbin will be cut, moving C. Mike to #2.

4. S. Rice & Lockett will not make the final cut.

I agree with all of this. I think TJack is fighting for his life; Pryor's athleticism is pure upside.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think some people are really going to be surprised by Matthews

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
chris98251":35tf4g9w said:
With the depth we have I could see a pick traded if another WR somewhere say Cleveland went down or got busted and or suspended, Kearse, Rice,being the main two, possibly Baldwin.

Not that I want it, also I think the Rice situation has been hedged with Norwood as well if he plays like the front office thinks he can.We protected ourselves with Richardson with Harvin.
I definitely see the possibility of a trade. Another trade candidate I could see is Turbin.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
razgriz737":2h2zykjr said:
If you watch Schneider's post-draft interviews he really gushes over Norwood. I have a hard time believing he won't make the roster, barring a terrible preseason. I know we cut Harper last year but IIRC he was really raw and had only played at WR for part of his college career. Norwood seems much more polished.
Bingo! To compare Harper and Norwood is ridiculous. 1- because Harper was raw as a converted QB would be. 2- people make it it out like Harper was a complete failure, when in fact he was to BE added to the practice squad until the 49ers stole him away (he's now on the Packers roster) it not like he was Mark Legree or EJ Wilson, who were outright let go, Harper had a future with this team.
Norwood is a much more polished prospect - I've seen him play numerous times over the past few years and I've thought more than few tines that I wished Seattle had him.
But more to the point I see Norwood as eventual replacement for kearse. Kearse will be gone after next year (can't afford everyone) , need to find a suitable replacement.
My hope/guess
Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson, Norwood, Rice

themunn

Reaction score
Rice is a lock if he is healthy, if it looks like he's still struggling with injury he's gone. It's that simple.

With that in mind, Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse and Richardson are locks.

The battle for the 6th position is between Lockette and Norwood, and hinges on Norwood's ability to play ST. Otherwise we Chris Harper him to the PS and probably watch the Niners pick him up... That said, I think Norwood wins that battle, especially as he has 3.5 years on Loxkette... who also has this whole Kaepernick/drunk girl thing swirling around

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Don't have much input to how I think it pans out but I just wanted to say that I had already totally forgotton about that big 6'5" Mathews guy that they got from Canada. This has got to be the most intriguing aspect of the team right now.. how it all pans out in the end.

JMR

Reaction score
I can see Rice starting the season on the PUP, which would ease some pressure off what looks like a pretty tough decision on final rosters spots. That would give the team a chance to avoid exposing someone to getting signed off the practice squad, and it may also give Rice the proper amount of time he needs to be at 100%.

CEHawk

Reaction score
I don't see the Seahawks carrying more than 5 WRs since they never have before. I will also never understand why people on this board still stick up for Sidney Rice, he is one of the most injury prone players in the NFL. There is no way I can see John and Pete cutting some of the talent we have at WR for such a horrible bet on Sidney Rice. Judging by his past, 71% of the time he misses more than 3 games due to injury and 43% of the time he misses half the season. Not a risk I would take.

I think the only locks are:
Percy
Baldwin
Kearse

Likely:
Richardson

Battle:
Norwood
Lockette
Matthews

The rest are long shots..

Basis4day

Reaction score
CEHawk":30a0yf9p said:
I don't see the Seahawks carrying more than 5 WRs since they never have before. I will also never understand why people on this board still stick up for Sidney Rice, he is one of the most injury prone players in the NFL. There is no way I can see John and Pete cutting some of the talent we have at WR for such a horrible bet on Sidney Rice. Judging by his past, 71% of the time he misses more than 3 games due to injury and 43% of the time he misses half the season. Not a risk I would take.

Percy
Baldwin
Kearse

Likely:
Richardson

Battle:
Norwood
Lockette
Matthews

They did carry 6 to begin 2012 ( Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Braylon Edwards, Ben Obomanu, Charly Martin), but 5-6 is still the best estimate.

Poster who mentioned Rice to PUP seems likely scenario. See where we are after week 6.

1. Harvin
2. Baldwin
3. Kearse
4. Richardson
5. Norwood
6. Lockette or EDIT Matthews (Not sure where i got the name Williams, meant Matthews the whole time)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I really wish we could keep seven WRs, but there just isn't any way.

I think that unless Norwood ends up "flashing" like Chris Harper did ("unflashing?"), he's pretty much a lock.

We're keeping Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson, Norwood, and Rice IMO. I'd love to keep Lockette around just in case one of the six gets hurt (which seems like a good possibility), but I doubt it will happen.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Just to stir the pot a bit. I think Norwood is Baldwin insurance! If Dougie gets a better offer somewhere else next year, we have his replacement in hand. A guy who can block, work back to the Qb, find holes in zones. Not a burner, not a freak, just a guy who knows how to get open and make the catch when it counts.

CEHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":297fwara said:
CEHawk":297fwara said:

Percy
Baldwin
Kearse

Likely:
Richardson

Battle:
Norwood
Lockette
Matthews

They did carry 6 to begin 2012 ( Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Braylon Edwards, Ben Obomanu, Charly Martin), but 5-6 is still the best estimate.

Poster who mentioned Rice to PUP seems likely scenario. See where we are after week 6.

1. Harvin
2. Baldwin
3. Kearse
4. Richardson
5. Norwood
6. Lockette or Williams

Aww that's true, but weren't their circumstances behind that? I don't think they have carried 6 receivers through the season under Pete Carroll.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CEHawk":ep04izqk said:
Aww that's true, but weren't their circumstances behind that? I don't think they have carried 6 receivers through the season under Pete Carroll.

There is so much shuffling on the roster that it's not too meaningful to see what positions they carried the whole year. There would be FA signings mid season like Stokely, cuts like Brandon Edwards, and IR like Sidney Rice.

I did go back and look at what they kept under Pete to start the year:

2010: 5 (Deion Branch, Mike Williams, Golden Tate, Deon Butler, Benjamin Obamanu)
2011: 6 (Sidney Rice, Mike Williams, Ben Obomanu, Golden Tate, Kris Durham, Doug Baldwin).
2012: 6 (Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Braylon Edwards, Ben Obomanu, Charly Martin)
2013: 5 (Golden Tate, Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Stephen Williams)

I really wonder what would have happened if Harvin was healthy during cutdowns in 2013. Stephen Williams was a preseason hero, but suffered a concussion and didn't play special teams.

5-6 is going to be the most likely scenario. Keeping 7 on the active roster is pretty wishful thinking. They're always going to go heavy at O-Line and RB/FB. Even if they did keep 7, there is no way all 7 would be on the 46 man roster week in week out.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1b5ulmhm said:
Been reading this conversation take places multiple places online. Two thoughts:

1) The average Seahawks fan highly underestimates/undervalues Sidney Rice. And I'm not talking from an injury standpoint. Many seem to consider him a whatever, expendable player. Taking the injury recovery factor out of things, that couldn't be more off-base. But he is coming back from injury, so that will be the factor. If he's healthy, he makes this team. Period. He's not making much on the new deal, and he offers something that the Hawks don't have, at a skill level they don't have. When he went down last year, teams immediately started playing the other Hawks wr's differently. It just so coincided with a period where the Hawks were having trouble with their passing game, and when a lot of fans starting jumping on the "The wr's aren't getting separation" train. It's really dumb that it even needs to be pointed out. Some fans really need to get over the expectations that came with his big deal when he was originally signed. None of that matters in terms of the player he is, and the contract he's under.

2) The average Seahawks fan highly overrates Ricardo Lockette as a special teams ace. This new opinion is solely based on a couple of big hits he had at the end of last year. One of which, was penalized. Don't get me wrong. Dude is big and very fast. And that can lead to some big highlight plays on special teams. But that's not the most important aspect to playing special teams. Consistency factors a lot more over highlights. Lockette isn't exactly the most sound tackler. His two big plays were him recklessly flying a a guy looking up in the air. He's a solid to good gunner. But I don't feel he's good overall enough to keep on the roster over a young WR like Kevin Norwood with MUCH MUCH MUCH more upside as an actual wide receiver. In that regard, Lockette is what he is. Not much more than a guy who can burn down the field and catch a ball every once in a while. Not a player I'd keep over Rice or Norwood.

The way I see it:

Harvin
Baldwin
Kearse
Rice
Richardson
Norwood

A lot of people seem to think that the new rooks might spell the end of Doug Baldwin when his deal is up. I'm not so sure about that. I think the Hawks value Baldwin, and that his price won't exactly be a killer that they'll have to pass on like they did with Tate. No, the guy I think it might signal won't be extended is Jermaine Kearse. I don't know when his contract is up. But the big plays he's made for this team in the playoffs and Super Bowl has to have upped his profile. And for someone who isn't exactly a focal point of the Hawks offense, I have a hard time seeing the Hawks able to pay him what some other team will likely offer a young guy like him with upside. I think it's going to come down to Baldwin or Kearse, with Baldwin being the guy they view as more vital to RW.

Don't think Rice makes the team, it would very hard for him coming off the injury and outplay the WR we have, I like Rice and was good when he played, but hurt way too much. Time to move on.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":pouim5hc said:
Don't think Rice makes the team, it would very hard for him coming off the injury and outplay the WR we have, I like Rice and was good when he played, but hurt way too much. Time to move on.

I tend to agree if he makes the 53 man roster or practices during training camp and shows wear. No reason not to stash him on PUP as insurance if hes eligible.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Folks on here are REALLY underestimating Bates as a factor. There is a reason why the coaches have kept him around on the PS that last two years, and have been gushing about his development in interviews. He also offers a different body-type (bigger, strong, Boldin type) than some of the other WR options at the back end of the roster. I'm not saying he's going to make the final 53, but I think he's in contention for the last roster spot as much as Rice and Lockette (I'm counting Norwood as a lock).

drdiags

Reaction score
I thought there was talk of converting Phil Bates to FB late in pre-season last year? I like him but I don't think he makes the final 53. I could see the team thinking about trading Baldwin on the cut-down to 53. The RFA contract issue hasn't been resolved and it seems Doug is pushing for a long-term contract. I am starting to think the team doesn't want to go in that direction.

I think they would prefer he sign the tender, they re-negotiate it down to a reasonable 1 yr deal and call it a day. Doug is a proud man, he would like to be rewarded now and not have to wait until next year to get a new deal. Tate moving on may have been the best thing for Doug if you listen to Hawkblogger (took him off my twitter feed, so I may have to re-connect just to see what he is spewing lately).