What to expect from Rawls upon his return?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1vnue6bz said:
I'm expecting more of what we saw earlier in the year. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for some drastic change in the success of the running game.

I'm thinking this return is better-timed than the first one, as to OL run blocking is finally showing signs of life. I refuse to attribute the run game success to NE's weak run D, because we've done poorly against some pretty crappy run D's this season. When Rawls return the 1st time, that 'ish' was non-existent and I don't think he had fully recovered anyway.

To entire OL owes their success against NE to me! I tweet to Justin Britt that he's doing good, but needs to concentrate on getting his unit's run blocking properly targeted. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He hasn't thanked me yet...prolly because he's too busy...yep :stirthepot:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3rdjsy57 said:
It's week 11. There is no "easing". He's ready to play or he's not.

I expect him to come in and play a lot, play well, with a good mix of prosise.

Of course there's easing, unless it's a QB who HAS to play every snap. You don't put a player like Rawls in after coming off two major injuries and hand it to him 30 times Sunday.

My guess is he'll split carries with Prosise, maybe 3-4 series Sunday.............then hopefully if he comes out healthy and strong more next week.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Keep in mind Philadelphia has a proper front 7 so rushing against them is not going to be easy to begin with. Don't be disappointed if we go away from the rush, or if our rushing isn't very successful. We don't play in a vacuum - there's another team on the field. Besides, playing in a vacuum would suck. Badum-bum.

I do echo the sentiment about having Prosise and Rawls in the backfield with Graham, Baldwin, and Lockett on the line being an absolute nightmare to defend. The options there are multitudinous, and all of the weapons are legitimate threats. Both backs are legit receivers, as is the TE, and both backs and the QB are legit runners. Rawls would make a decent lead blocker or additional protection for Wilson opening up Graham to go downfield.

And what do you defend it with? If you don't go nickel, then you have Prosise on a linebacker, and Wilson is taking that mismatch every time. If you go nickel you don't have the linebacker to stop Rawls or to spy Wilson. Blitz at your own risk, keeping in mind Wilson's efficiency actually increases against the blitz, and the hot reads will burn you because both backs are very good receivers out of the backfield.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm hoping Pope gets a few carries so Prosise doesn't have to be the main guy while we integrate Rawls into football again.

I don't want Prosise broken for the December run. He looks to be a valuable piece.

Rawls is going to have to prove it again.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1kd6y5ho said:
Keep in mind Philadelphia has a proper front 7 so rushing against them is not going to be easy to begin with. Don't be disappointed if we go away from the rush, or if our rushing isn't very successful. We don't play in a vacuum - there's another team on the field. Besides, playing in a vacuum would suck. Badum-bum.

I do echo the sentiment about having Prosise and Rawls in the backfield with Graham, Baldwin, and Lockett on the line being an absolute nightmare to defend. The options there are multitudinous, and all of the weapons are legitimate threats. Both backs are legit receivers, as is the TE, and both backs and the QB are legit runners. Rawls would make a decent lead blocker or additional protection for Wilson opening up Graham to go downfield.

And what do you defend it with? If you don't go nickel, then you have Prosise on a linebacker, and Wilson is taking that mismatch every time. If you go nickel you don't have the linebacker to stop Rawls or to spy Wilson. Blitz at your own risk, keeping in mind Wilson's efficiency actually increases against the blitz, and the hot reads will burn you because both backs are very good receivers out of the backfield.

You defend it with a pass rush on everything. We won New England but there were two drives that ended because on 3 and 2 we attempted 400 mile passes. Teams don't beat us, we outsmart ourselves sometimes.

With a return of staff to the backfield maybe some three and outs can be managed or avoided differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichNhansom

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":or1tly32 said:

It's impressive to think about isn't it?

Now add in Lockett on a jet sweep and Prosise on a couple screens.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Honestly I am hoping they ease him in. He has proven a valuable tool under not the greatest of circumstance, just the health issue persists, until it no longer does...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hope to see last year's Thomas Rawls, instead of the pale version seen early this season.

I just hope he's ready this time and the team breaks him in at a pace his body can handle. Problem is he wants to play and hit someone and is his own worst enemy. Normally the team would restrict his touches to begin with so he can work himself back.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1x83ti4e said:

I just want to give props for use of "multitudinous". Rarely have I seen/heard that used, and it's a phenomenal word. :irishdrinkers:

Jville

Reaction score
“I just feel like we can bring more energy, more passion to the run game,” Rawls said. “Being a physical run team and being a physical back is so important because of what it does to other people, what it does to the defense, what it does to the offensive line. When sometimes the blocks aren’t perfect and offensive linemen, if they can’t get the push, sometimes you have to run it up them. You have to make them mad. But guess what, they’re not going to fight me. They’re going to fight the defense, they’re going to fight them. You got to have different techniques, I feel like, being a running back, and you want to get the most out of it. Not just for yourself, and I think that’s what it is—just being unselfish. We got to find a way to get everybody involved, because sometimes some guys may not have it on that day. I think that’s a little bit of what I can possibly bring.”

Seahawks Running Back Thomas Rawls Excited About Return >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/11/17/seahawks-running-back-thomas-rawls-excited-about-return-leg-injury[/urltargetblank]

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If he's cleared to play I do expect quite a few carries but not letting Prosise do his thing now would be a waste. I think Rawls gets around 10 carries to get up to speed and to see in what form he's in. He'll possibly get more carries next week if he performs well.

cosmicdebris

Reaction score
This is something I've been thinking about all week. How many carries will he get? I think 10 is reasonable but if Prosise is getting it done, we shouldn't force too much out of him. Just get him back up to game speed and Let him feel the joy of pounding a corner into the ground on the sideline.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Just now listened to the Rawls presser from yesterday. Towards the end he talks about passion and breaking brick walls and the presser finished with a reporter remarking after the last answer from Rawls, "I thought you were about to run over me." Rawls apologized but with a grin.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
PC in his presser today suggested there is no such thing as Rawls being 'eased in.' Said instead 'he will be cut loose.'

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Since most here are into prognostications, I might as well "take a whack at it". Seems to me that if he hits four straight "walls" and makes only 8 yards, he will be yanked. However, should he hit four seams and makes 20 yards or more, he will be asked to carry the ball about 12 times.

Latest posts