Was the Niners roughing the passer penalty the right call?

Was Niners roughing the passer penalty the right call?

• Yes

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 50.8%

• Total voters

rjdriver

Reaction score
I was happy as hell the Niners lost, let that be clear. However, I think without that roughing call (and fumble recovery) the Niners win. I know it was close, but I was wondering what your honest opinions are. I was also wondering if that same call would have been made if it was not Drew Brees, but Ponder or some other mediocre QB.

To be honest, I thought it was a legit sack. Hard but legal. Seems like after a couple flags against us last week and Earl's roughing call in Miami last year it is becoming almost impossible to make a play on the QB without fear of a flag.

Again, do you guys feel it was the correct call? Not are you happy with the call, but was it right?

SF49r

Reaction score
822474023.gif

That was called for roughing the passer

chris98251

Reaction score
No not in slow motion, but the refs are calling anything at the Knees and from shoulders on up these days.

Well unless your the Seahawks, then you can headslap the QB anytime you want as we saw last week.

Brees Manning and Luck get a special cushion as well, you must lay down pillows and gently help them to the ground if you plan on tackleing them.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
SF49r":8xuhy3bd said:
822474023.gif

Pretty much know how you voted SF49r. Tough loss in an important road game. It's tough to get over personal foul calls that cost a game, warranted or not.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2kauvvua said:
Bad call for sure. Seahawks have any bad calls go against them this season?
nope none at all. We've been extremely lucky in that regard

SF49r

Reaction score
rjdriver":1ii1pufg said:
SF49r":1ii1pufg said:
822474023.gif

Pretty much know how you voted SF49r. Tough loss in an important road game. It's tough to get over personal foul calls that cost a game, warranted or not.

Yeah there's nothing we can really do about it, at the end of the day saints still came out with the W

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
chris98251":bw973dgy said:
Brees Manning and Luck get a special cushion as well, you must lay down pillows and gently help them to the ground if you plan on tackleing them.

That's my big concern on Monday Chris. We have an earned reputation as an aggressive, physical defense and are one of the most penalized teams in the league. Drew definitely has that special cushion. Just better not be Carey refereeing the game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rjdriver":1su0q75r said:
.........Just better not be Carey refereeing the game.
Especially with a Monday night audience in a game with huge playoff implications. That peacock will spend the ENTIRE night looking for ways to get in front of the camera more often.

bigwrm

Reaction score
The niners seemed to catch a lot of breaks today so I don't think you can be that upset if you're a niners fan. Muffed punt at the 10 yard line, a pick-6 somehow turned into a touchback, and what looked like it should have been a safety for intentional grounding.

OrFan

Reaction score
It is the head and neck area, not just the head, that counts.

hawk45

Reaction score
I voted no based on the replay. In real-time though I would have sworn it was a penalty so I see why it was called.

rjas77

Reaction score
To answer the question..No..bad call...

That said, that call didn't cost them the game. QB play and coaching is really to blame.

OrFan

Reaction score
That is pretty funny when you watch it. Brees looks like a turtle stretching his neck out! I swear his neck doubled in length!

HawkWow

Reaction score
I can only say I didn't like the call. I have no idea what's legal or illegal anymore. Rules, and interpretations of the rules, seem to change week to week, team to team, these days.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
HawkWow":3nad3a1b said:
I can only say I didn't like the call. I have no idea what's legal or illegal anymore. Rules, and interpretations of the rules, seem to change week to week, team to team, these days.

True.

as for the game itself, poor play aside and even poorer coaching/playcalling aside, that was a garbage call that completely swung the game around.

Btw, if Brooks had "hit the neck of the QB" like that clueless ref described, Brooks would have killed Brees.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
look@dafilm":1zp2typ6 said:
HawkWow":1zp2typ6 said:

True.

as for the game itself, poor play aside and even poorer coaching/playcalling aside, that was a garbage call that completely swung the game around.

Btw, if Brooks had "hit the neck of the QB" like that clueless ref described, Brooks would have killed Brees.

Borderline call but its ludicrous to say that it was "game altering". The odds of the putrid 9ers offense (who had negative yardage in the quarter I believe), doing anything but handing the ball back to NO after a quick 3 and out was extremely low.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1zyka1n4 said:
look@dafilm":1zyka1n4 said:
HawkWow":1zyka1n4 said:

True.

Borderline call but its ludicrous to say that it was "game altering". The odds of the putrid 9ers offense (who had negative yardage in the quarter I believe), doing anything but handing the ball back to NO after a quick 3 and out was extremely low.

lol, I'm not going to get into a pissing match here but I will say this. if you don't think a 4th turnover like that, when the opposing team is in field goal range and is knocking on the door to tie the game with only a few precious minutes left, getting overturned based a godawful call is "game altering" then please, enlighten me and tell me what is.