Walter Jones as OL Coach?

seabowl

Reaction score
Playing and coaching are 2 totally different things. It takes a certain type of person to coach. Also I'm not saying that you have to be loud but Walt comes across as a nice guy and not sure he is the take charge type of person. It is intriguing though.

Mojambo

Reaction score
i wish Seattle would dump Cable and switch to a simpler man blocking scheme. If Jones could be a part of that, fine, but I really just want Cable gone.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Seanhawk":fexe2obp said:
But would he show up for training camp as a coach?
LOL! Seriously though the best players are usually the worst coaches. Not always but sometimes the most naturally gifted athletes haven't received the amount of coaching the ones that have to work harder recieve. This is why the Michael Jordans of the world aren't coaches, this is also why the Pete Carroll's are coaches. They loved the game and studied it but weren't the best at playing it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love Walt, but coaching is so much different from playing the game. This man had more talent than our entire roster of OL combined - its hard to coach up talent thats just not there. That said, I'd love to have him on the staff in some capacity.

But what I really want to see is Tom Cable coach up actual offensive linemen for a change. Not converts from mid school. Not former tight ends and defensive tackles. Not a center the same size as our vertically challenged quarterback. Not random stiffs from another practice squad. ACTUAL offensive linemen.

If our line still stinks with that, then Cable is the root of the problem and should be let go. And maybe then you entertain the idea of promoting Walt to OL coach. Aside from that, I really think this is a personnel issue more than Tom Cable not being able to coach.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Cartire":o7mdqo4n said:
"Walt, Teach me your ways"

"Be super big, strong, and agile like a mother.."

Fant: I'm having trouble handling these guys off the edge; they seem to just be able to get right around and through me.

Jones: It's simple, anybody can do it. Just be a freak elite athlete, have amazing natural technique, and be able to make really good decisions really fast.

Fant: 920x920

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Just because you are great at something doesn't make you a great coach.

Do you think Michael Jordan would be a great NBA coach just because he was one of the best to ever play?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Stop ignoring the fact that Walter already has coached at his camps. He CAN do it. Just how good would he be? Sheesh.

mrt144

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1up7lf1d said:
Stop ignoring the fact that Walter already has coached at his camps. He CAN do it. Just how good would he be? Sheesh.

I was wondering how long we'd go before someone, anyone, pointed this out.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3oi1c2iv said:
I love Walt, but coaching is so much different from playing the game. This man had more talent than our entire roster of OL combined - its hard to coach up talent thats just not there. That said, I'd love to have him on the staff in some capacity.

But what I really want to see is Tom Cable coach up actual offensive linemen for a change. Not converts from mid school. Not former tight ends and defensive tackles. Not a center the same size as our vertically challenged quarterback. Not random stiffs from another practice squad. ACTUAL offensive linemen.

If our line still stinks with that, then Cable is the root of the problem and should be let go. And maybe then you entertain the idea of promoting Walt to OL coach. Aside from that, I really think this is a personnel issue more than Tom Cable not being able to coach.

Walt can do the job and provide an instant spark to the organization in this capacity. Cable had actual offensive lineman to coach but didn't really coach them up when they were here. Okung and Carpenter were first round picks, and Moffitt was a 3rd rounder. Britt was a 2nd round pick but couldn't play well as tackle or guard so he's in his 3rd position in 3 years. These are all college offensive lineman so he does have those. Cable is a bad coach. Players seem to do better after they leave the Seahawks rather than while they are here. That suggests that the player was good to begin with and Cable's scheme is what is holding them down.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3197rmzv said:
The greatest players don't often make the greatest coaches.
This might be true, but Walter Jones has "Been There, Done That" & I would wager that a HOF'er with his EXPERTISE would know how to get young O-Linemen to maximize their physical and mental abilities.
I also don't see that it would be a conflict of interest to have him helping Cable to better Coach UP the Seahawks.
I just don't see a downside here. and it would be better than the status quo, eh? :2thumbs:

stizz19

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":24yky9p0 said:
The greatest players don't often make the greatest coaches.
Yeah but worst case scenario with hiring big Walt is we will still be the worst OL, can't go down from here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3rv6t93d said:

Hmm, so you're saying that just because Walter Jones was magnificent and knew exactly how to play the LT position to HOF standards, wouldn't know how to maybe Coach up or improve on a suck-butt O-Line?
It's easy to speculate, but my money is on WJ, who believes that he could help, his Tweets says that he believes he can, and sorry, but words from a HOF LT or posts by some Seahawks fans?, no contest.

stizz19

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":269q6zan said:

Do you think Michael Jordan would be a great NBA coach just because he was one of the best to ever play?
Like Wayne Gretzky, arguably the best athlete in history at his sport and he was a terrible coach.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Lol at the people doubting Walter Jones as a coach.

Don't you think he knows how to communicate effectively at how to be awesome on the line?

Give it a rest.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I would think a lot of the great players turned coaches were great because of their complete understanding of their job and responsibilities.

Along this line of thinking I would assume being a position coach for the position you played would be ideal. A great head coach or even a coordinator has to have that understanding of everything.

I think Walt would be great as the OL coach, and bring in Rex Ryan to be the the D-line/Assistant HC

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't believe there's reason to think Walter would be 1/1000th the coach that he was as the player, but at this point if all he did was come in and simplify the stupid scheme he'd be an improvement.

rigelian

Reaction score
Bill Russell was a great player and a marginal coach of young players. He couldn't stand the lack of effort from more modern athletes and had a difficult time dealing with them. Being great doesn't make you a great coach.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

edogg23

Reaction score
How the hell is he not already working for the Seahawks?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rigelian":65tvgk1j said:
Bill Russell was a great player and a marginal coach of young players. He couldn't stand the lack of effort from more modern athletes and had a difficult time dealing with them. Being great doesn't make you a great coach.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

And your proof that your wisdom, and CONJECTURE is foolproof?, & Walter Jones COULDN'T cut it?......Yeah, That's what I thought too :roll:
Speculation is open ended, and not a very sound argument ......Walter Jones has the credentials, & has offered that he BELIEVES he could help an extremely PATHETIC & anemic O-Line ,,,that's good enough for me :stirthepot:
What is the downside????, we move further into the abyss??????