Trey Lance demoted to 3rd string after draft

bileever

Reaction score
Geno Smith is a one year wonder who started off hot but became mediocre as the season went on.

Purdy got better as the season went on even though teams were doing their best to blitz / confuse Mr. Relevant. He played well in games where he didn't practice all week due to rib injuries. He made off schedule plays, threw from different arm angles, all the stuff you want a QB to do. It reminded me a little of Montana *makes sign of cross*.
I will admit that Brock Purdy had a pretty impressive debut last year. But he was ranked 13th according to PFF metrics last year. That's hardly elite. It's also based on a fairly small sample, 5 games started and 170 pass attempts. I wonder how he'll do now that teams have more tape on him this year.

Sam Darnold, btw, was ranked 31st among QBs last year, so just keep drinking that Kool Aid and convince yourself that the 49ers are okay at that position. There's a chance that Purdy will be a competent QB, basically Jimmy 2.0, but there's also a chance that by the end of the year he will go the way of other QB flash-in-the-pans, like Matt Flynn, Frank Reich or Scott Mitchell.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ranked 13th from Mr. Irrelevant, I would say his rocketing numbers are elite. 49ers are looking at it as such I imagine also.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
When was the last 49er quarterback that has thrown for over 4,000? Jeff Garcia? Lol
You’re paying a bum that busted out after 3 years virtually the same salary as our starter. Darnold ain’t bad tbh but he’s not on Geno’s level has never posted numbers like Geno.
Who cares if the QB throws for 4,000 yards? Jittery Jeff never got the 49ers to a superbowl. Saying the Darnold and Smith's contracts are comparable is so completely wrong! Darnold 1 year 4.5 mill with 3.5 guaranteed. Smith... I can hardly keep a straight face here... 10 mil next year with 40 Mil guaranteed. Dude.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I will admit that Brock Purdy had a pretty impressive debut last year. But he was ranked 13th according to PFF metrics last year. That's hardly elite. It's also based on a fairly small sample, 5 games started and 170 pass attempts. I wonder how he'll do now that teams have more tape on him this year.

Sam Darnold, btw, was ranked 31st among QBs last year, so just keep drinking that Kool Aid and convince yourself that the 49ers are okay at that position. There's a chance that Purdy will be a competent QB, basically Jimmy 2.0, but there's also a chance that by the end of the year he will go the way of other QB flash-in-the-pans, like Matt Flynn, Frank Reich or Scott Mitchell.
'reminded me a little of Montana' does not equal 'elite'. Obviously that won't be known for years. Purdy is already better than JG. Not even close. Geno Smith wasn't even ranked by PFF in 2021. or 2020. or 2019. or 2018.

bileever

Reaction score
All I can say is that you 49er fans are far more optimistic than Seahawks fans. You just go on believin', man @94Smith and @49fansinceBrodie. We appreciate your ability to dream big--Brock Purdy for Super Bowl MVP!!!

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
there was also an article about that from a reputable site (the athletic); paywall but well worth the money. A lot of work has gone into fixing mechanical flaws. Of course nobody knows what Lance will be but he's putting in the work.

the athletic

Ok, so Christensen had him in for four days and all the sudden the hairline finger thing is disclosed. Not a problem. His noodle arm, not a problem. Because Christensen is always gonna say the best about his clients.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score

Ok, so Christensen had him in for four days and all the sudden the hairline finger thing is disclosed. Not a problem. His noodle arm, not a problem. Because Christensen is always gonna say the best about his clients.
1) typically football players do not disclose the extent of their injuries 2) Christensen worked with Lance for at least 7 days which is stated clearly in the article you linked which I presume is some way of getting around the athletic pay wall because who can afford 25 bucks a year 3) noodle arm? even with the flaws he's throwing it 30 - 40 yards on a line. 4) He had a lot of best to say.

Weadoption

Reaction score
i don’t know about overconfident. I know for a fact if we stay reasonably healthy we are a legit top 4 NFC team. Shanahan will figure it out, can’t possibly have worse luck with qb position than last year.
hopium perhaps. It also looks like the Seahawks have some swagger back and are legit on the upswing.
it’s gonna be fun

bileever

Reaction score
i don’t know about overconfident. I know for a fact if we stay reasonably healthy we are a legit top 4 NFC team. Shanahan will figure it out, can’t possibly have worse luck with qb position than last year.
hopium perhaps. It also looks like the Seahawks have some swagger back and are legit on the upswing.
it’s gonna be fun
I think four things will determine whether the 49ers will win the NFC:

1) Will Brock Purdy play as well or better than he did last year? How will the surgery affect him? And was he a flash-in-the-pan last year?

2) Is the addition of Hargrave enough for the 49ers overcome all the losses the defense had--Omenihu, Ward, Ebukam, Al-Shaair and Moseley (not to mention Tarvarius Moore and Hassan Ridgeway)? None of these guys were superstars, but still important pieces on a really good team last year.

3) And can the defense overcome the loss of DC DeMeco Ryans while replacing him in an unusual way by hiring Steve Wilks but not letting him bring any of his own people? 49er fans are unconcerned about this because there was no drop-off when Ryans took over from Salah, but Ryans was actually a better coach than Salah and he came from in-house. Wilks is a good coach, but he is not the motivator that Ryans or Salah are, nor would anyone mistake him as any kind of defensive mastermind.

4) Will the offensive line be as effective with the loss of McGlinchey and Trent Williams turning 35? Yes, Williams was still elite last year, but with the exception of Andrew Whitworth, not many offensive linemen remain effective past age 34.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Hairline fracture was revealed right after it happened. It was preseason game rookie year vs Raiders.

Shanahan just revealed a week or so ago at a Dwight Clark event that the injury didn't heal right and that he looks better than he ever has.

The QB coach thing has nothing to do with the injury.

"Noodle Arm". Um...what? If anything he's been accused of throwing the ball too hard and that's why there are so many drops in preseason games.

Marvin49

Reaction score
At the end of the day the Hawks are going to more than likely take over the west again next year. What’s the rebuild plan for your 49ers after this year? Many project Seattle takes over
Why do they need a "rebuild plan"? They have arguably the best roster in the NFL, They aren't paying an expensive QB so will be able to keep them together, they will have all their picks back next year and AGAIN will have 3 3rd rounders.

Not seeing the cliff you seem to think they'll fall down.

They are over the cap next year, but just 2 or 3 simple restructures (Deebo, Armstead, a few others) gets them way under and they'll be able to add.

94Smith

Reaction score
2) Is the addition of Hargrave enough for the 49ers overcome all the losses the defense had--Omenihu, Ward, Ebukam, Al-Shaair and Moseley (not to mention Tarvarius Moore and Hassan Ridgeway)? None of these guys were superstars, but still important pieces on a really good team last year.
The only player of note on that list is Ward. Moseley is ok as well but he was injured all last year. When you have all pros at each level of the defense - Bosa, Warner, Hufunga it elevates the other players.

Now if you said will Bosa stay healthy or will Hufunga have drop off like he did in the second half of the season, sure

Hargrave was the consensus number one defensive free agent

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Hairline fracture was revealed right after it happened. It was preseason game rookie year vs Raiders.

Shanahan just revealed a week or so ago at a Dwight Clark event that the injury didn't heal right and that he looks better than he ever has.

The QB coach thing has nothing to do with the injury.

"Noodle Arm". Um...what? If anything he's been accused of throwing the ball too hard and that's why there are so many drops in preseason games.

He had a finger injury going into 2022 that kept him from gripping properly. No wonder they signed JimmyG back so fast. Kinda bs to me.

bileever

Reaction score
The only player of note on that list is Ward. Moseley is ok as well but he was injured all last year. When you have all pros at each level of the defense - Bosa, Warner, Hufunga it elevates the other players.

Now if you said will Bosa stay healthy or will Hufunga have drop off like he did in the second half of the season, sure

Hargrave was the consensus number one defensive free agent
Wow, so you 49er fans have no concerns going into the season? And you think Hargrave will be worth the $80 million contract he signed. That's the difference between 49er fans and Seahawks fans. Seahawk fans complain about the one-year $3.5 million contract Devin Bush got.