Trey Lance demoted to 3rd string after draft

94Smith

Reaction score
Bashing the back up , meanwhile the starter lays a 41 burger on them in the playoffs

Marvin49

Reaction score

bileever

Reaction score
Unfortunately for us, Brock Purdy is exactly the kind of QB that makes Kyle Shanahan the most successful, not unlike Matt Ryan or Jimmy Garoppolo. With QBs like RGIII and Trey Lance, Kyle gets stars in his eyes and envisions a world where mismatches are created by running QBs and WRs. Despite Shanahan's insistence that he doesn't see Lance as a Lamar Jackson type running QB, before Lance was hurt last year, he had more rushing attempts than completed passes (16 to 15) and 37 carries over his last three games. So I say, get healthy, Trey, and go back to being QB1 for the 49ers.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Unfortunately for us, Brock Purdy is exactly the kind of QB that makes Kyle Shanahan the most successful, not unlike Matt Ryan or Jimmy Garoppolo. With QBs like RGIII and Trey Lance, Kyle gets stars in his eyes and envisions a world where mismatches are created by running QBs and WRs. Despite Shanahan's insistence that he doesn't see Lance as a Lamar Jackson type running QB, before Lance was hurt last year, he had more rushing attempts than completed passes (16 to 15) and 37 carries over his last three games. So I say, get healthy, Trey, and go back to being QB1 for the 49ers.

LOL.

In fairness, alot of Treys runs were actually scrambles, particularly in the Monsoon in Chicago.

Point is taken tho....Shanahan LOVES the idea that the defense has to account for the QB as a runner even if he isn't getting the ball.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
....and your point is...what?

A hairline finger fracture is a routine injury, not something that would hamper A qb for two years. And ksjl are saying that now that the finger is ok, let’s not worry about the repaired shattered ankle that required two surgeries…

Marvin49

Reaction score
A hairline finger fracture is a routine injury, not something that would hamper A qb for two years. And ksjl are saying that now that the finger is ok, let’s not worry about the repaired shattered ankle that required two surgeries…

If you were really paying attention, he specifically said that the injury didn't heal correctly and that he hasn't been able to bend the finger when passing till THIS offseason.

That was the entire point. I still don't know what that has to do with Trey supposedly running a 4.92. LOL. "Its on the internet". As if everything on the internet is true and as if the SAME LINK doesn't list 3 different 40 times when he was never timed in the leadup to the draft.

bileever

Reaction score
LOL.

In fairness, alot of Treys runs were actually scrambles, particularly in the Monsoon in Chicago.

Point is taken tho....Shanahan LOVES the idea that the defense has to account for the QB as a runner even if he isn't getting the ball.
Don't get me wrong--I have a healthy fear of Kyle Shanahan and sometimes think he might be a genius, even more so than McVay. But I think he throws caution to the winds when he has a running QB and it makes him go slightly crazy. He's had his most successful seasons when he doesn't have a dual threat QB. I also think the 49ers are better off in the long run if he stops using Deebo as a runner.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--I have a healthy fear of Kyle Shanahan and sometimes think he might be a genius, even more so than McVay. But I think he throws caution to the winds when he has a running QB and it makes him go slightly crazy. He's had his most successful seasons when he doesn't have a dual threat QB. I also think the 49ers are better off in the long run if he stops using Deebo as a runner.
RE: Running QBS - Fair.

RE: Deebo - I think we'll see less of that. Really started 2 years ago when they had so many injury issues at RB, but you saw ALOT less of that once they traded for CMC.

bileever

Reaction score
RE: Running QBS - Fair.

RE: Deebo - I think we'll see less of that. Really started 2 years ago when they had so many injury issues at RB, but you saw ALOT less of that once they traded for CMC.
Or maybe Deebo expressed his concerns about running as much as he did in 2021. I suspect it came up during contract negotiations, and some promises must have been made before Deebo agreed to sign.

As far as CMC goes, you'd better make 2023 the year you go all the way, because how is it going to work in 2024 or 25, using $14 million in cap space for a RB?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Or maybe Deebo expressed his concerns about running as much as he did in 2021. I suspect it came up during contract negotiations, and some promises must have been made before Deebo agreed to sign.

As far as CMC goes, you'd better make 2023 the year you go all the way, because how is it going to work in 2024 or 25, using $14 million in cap space for a RB?
Actually, Deebo makes more money if he gets more rush yards, so they incentivized it.

He will always get carries....I'm just saying I don't think they will ever lean as heavily on him to run the ball as they did year before last.

They were crushed that year by injuries at RB.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Dude, that’s from a 49ers site…
Dude, based on the URL and the byline that's a Grant Cohn (Captain Clickbait) article from MSN sports, not a 49ers site. This is just more spin from the old news Rapaport stuff, which was all pretty murky to start with (no direct quotes or anything).

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Dude, based on the URL and the byline that's a Grant Cohn (Captain Clickbait) article from MSN sports, not a 49ers site. This is just more spin from the old news Rapaport stuff, which was all pretty murky to start with (no direct quotes or anything).

Dude, Cohn is a 49ers writer as much as Kawakami is. Yeah, Cohn gets contrarian but so did K, and Maiucco is even out singing Darnolds praises.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Dude, Cohn is a 49ers writer as much as Kawakami is. Yeah, Cohn gets contrarian but so did K, and Maiucco is even out singing Darnolds praises.
Cohn as he exists today will never get an article in the Athletic or a mainstream newspaper (unless in some kind of blog thing). He's the Kilgore Trout of sportswriters.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Cohn as he exists today will never get an article in the Athletic or a mainstream newspaper (unless in some kind of blog thing). He's the Kilgore Trout of sportswriters.

He was on the Santa Rosa Press Democrat before he went to sports illustrated. I get that he is irritating but he is sometimes proven right.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Grant Cohn is a legend. I’m talking about the old man not the son, even though the son writes for SI, he’s normally spot on. The son is more of a homer and hated Jimmy for some reason. All Jimmy did was win and move the sticks. If Trey had half the career and numbers Jimmy has put up it would be considered a success