Tre Flowers (I Need An Explanation)

Fade

Reaction score
Tre Flowers played okay today. The Colts shockingly didn't target him very often.

But I have a question on the TD he gave up.

It was Man Zero. Tre played outside leverage having no help inside, he had no chance on that play.

So was he coached to do that, or was it him? It seems you would want to play inside out and use the boundary when on an island with zero safety help.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Fade":13l873r4 said:
Tre Flowers played okay today. The Colts shockingly didn't target him very often.

It was Man Zero. Tre played outside leverage with no help inside, he had no chance on that play.

So was he coached to do that, or was it him? It seems you would want to play inside out and use the boundary when on an island with zero safety help.

Other than a fumble recovery, Reed didn't do much either.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
That’s the problem I have with criticism of Flowers. I believe he plays exactly the way the coaches ask him to play. Thought he had a solid day with good tackling. That garbage TD doesn’t bother me.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I can’t give you an explanation but from my eyes Flowers played better than Reed.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
It all started at the line of scrimmage when he completely missed the press and was essentially going the wrong direction while his wr was flying the other way down the field into the endzone for an easy 6.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I would play with inner leverage to outer like you are saying. Bottom line...man on man goal line...there isnt a corner in the league who can stop that anymore. There used to be many of them. It's the way they are teaching dbs now a days.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":hq8jdg99 said:
I would play with inner leverage to outer like you are saying. Bottom line...man on man goal line...there isnt a corner in the league who can stop that anymore. There used to be many of them. It's the way they are teaching dbs now a days.

Exactly, you witnessed DK absolutely abuse the corner on a similar move. Without help that is a losing battle 9/10

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Fade":285ugoxr said:

It was Man Zero. Tre played outside leverage having no help inside, he had no chance on that play.

On that TD play Flowers was in solid position until the receiver pushed off and created space. It wasn't called...like it was in the SB game vs Pitt where they called it against us but not against Pitt.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I didn't replay it, but it looked like Quandre rushed the QB, completely abandoning his position. Did Norton call that? Or did Diggs make a mistake?

Flowers had no chance on that play with the whole middle of the field open. Still, like you mentioned, maybe he was supposed to play with outside leverage and thought there would be a FS in the middle.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I love the discussions of formations tactics plays etc.

Did Flowers play it like he was supposed to and it just got beat or did he do it wrong and mess up?

Not sure why any other player not in the play needs to be added.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":2nzjfg3y said:

I thought it was a busted coverage that was my initial reaction.. he should have had safety help... but then I have no idea what was called...

LTH

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
LTH":3ohg581z said:
Fade":3ohg581z said:

I thought it was a busted coverage that was my initial reaction.. he should have had safety help... but then I have no idea what was called...

LTH

We'll need someone who has more inside info and access that covers the team like the Maven, to find out on this specific play, I hope it gets brought up during the week.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Re-watching the play it seemed like a blown coverage. Both CBs were playing off and it looked like a semi cover 3 with man principles pre snap. Flowers came down late to press the WR and played with outside leverage as if he expecting help inside. Reed played off because he was on the outer hash and there were 2 WRs to that side. Blair played under and Reed played high to avoid a rub.

Here is what we don't know. Post-snap, Jamal Adams was sitting right in the middle as if he was playing as a spy. Reed/Blair plastered to their guys which to my untrained eyes signals man-to-man. Adams showed no indications of zone help. His eyes were on Wentz the whole time, which tells me that he was spying the whole way.

So maybe Tre thought they changed the play and he was suppose to funnel the WR inside, which he did. Adams was in that alignment and but had come down too much and It was too late at that point. So...either Adams blew the coverage or Flowers blew the coverage. That's what it looked like to me.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
He did way better then Shaq today. Lol.

Crazy how DBs looked better with a pass rush.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
With no safety help, as long as the throw is on target, every corner gets burned on that play.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":16eq55zu said:
With no safety help, as long as the throw is on target, every corner gets burned on that play.

It's an epidemic of confirmation bias right now. Every time Flowers allows a catch, regardless of context or situation, expect a chorus of loud affirmation of priors.

keasley45

Reaction score
The only mistake you can say Flowers made for certain is not getting a better jam off the line. Can't let the receiver get off like that. Agree with whoever said he should have played outside leverage, but he might have been doing it the way it was drawn up.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":nd0xjv2p said:
That’s the problem I have with criticism of Flowers. I believe he plays exactly the way the coaches ask him to play. Thought he had a solid day with good tackling. That garbage TD doesn’t bother me.
I believe also that he plays the way he’s coached, and that’s why he gets the praise that he gets from the coaches/Pete.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
keasley45":1e5u7opt said:
The only mistake you can say Flowers made for certain is not getting a better jam off the line. Can't let the receiver get off like that. Agree with whoever said he should have played outside leverage, but he might have been doing it the way it was drawn up.

We're living in the past with this "jam off the line" narrative. They changed the rules because of the LOB & is almost impossible to do effectively without taking a penalty.

keasley45

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":15x7yhcn said:
keasley45":15x7yhcn said:

We're living in the past with this "jam off the line" narrative. They changed the rules because of the LOB & is almost impossible to do effectively without taking a penalty.

Well aware of the rule change. You can still slow the wr down off the line. Our CBs used to fight them off the line for the first 5 yards - lots of redirection, jabbing, (grabbing when they could get away with it) and the like. That's what the NFL disallowed.

Tre just backpedaled and turned late in pursuit.