Training Camp Question for fan

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I reserved tickets for training camp Sunday August 13th. I'm pretty jacked about it, as this will be my first training camp since the Seahawks stopped doing training camp at Eastern Washington University.

My question: I'll be staying in Issaquah and my buddy will be driving us to the VMAC. What's the parking situation look like? Is there enough parking at the facility, or do they offer off-site parking areas?

Secondly, how does Pete Carroll run these practices? I only remember how Holmgren ran them with his air horn and whatnot. I've seen in prior videos that Pete keeps it light with music and stuff going on. Is it a good experience for the fans, and what do you look for?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Mods if this is the wrong forum please feel free to move it, although I feel this may be helpful for new comers going to training camp as well. I hope to see some of you there. This will be a great opportunity for some of you to punch me in the face.

Go Hawks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
For attending the training camps, Seahawks.com website has the following info - https://www.seahawks.com/training-camp/attend/

"All fans attending Seahawks Training Camp are required to pre-register, park at The Renton Landing and utilize team approved transportation to/from the Virginia Mason Athletic Center. A transportation fee of $15 per person will be charged at the time of registration. Only fans arriving at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center via the designated team shuttle will be allowed into practice. The Virginia Mason Athletic Center parking lot will be closed to the public and no individual drop offs, walk ups/outs or pick-ups will be allowed. Due to limited parking opportunities at The Renton Landing, the Seahawks are recommending that Training Camp guests use carpool and mass transit options."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
For attending the training camps, Seahawks.com website has the following info - https://www.seahawks.com/training-camp/attend/

"All fans attending Seahawks Training Camp are required to pre-register, park at The Renton Landing and utilize team approved transportation to/from the Virginia Mason Athletic Center. A transportation fee of $15 per person will be charged at the time of registration. Only fans arriving at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center via the designated team shuttle will be allowed into practice. The Virginia Mason Athletic Center parking lot will be closed to the public and no individual drop offs, walk ups/outs or pick-ups will be allowed. Due to limited parking opportunities at The Renton Landing, the Seahawks are recommending that Training Camp guests use carpool and mass transit options."
Thank you! Okay that was the part I was struggling with. So you park at the Renton Landing, then take the shuttle to the VMAC.

I already paid for the $16 tickets and all that. Perfect I appreciate that.

Like I said I was so used to the Cheney days, but that was many moons ago now.
Has anybody ridden on this transport before? If practice starts at 10:30 do you recommend we get to Renton Landing at like 8am or something?

I don't want to miss anything lol

chrispy

Reaction score
Yah, get there as early as comfortable. The buses aren't fancy. There will be a line to load the buses but it moves pretty fast. It's a 15 or 20 minute ride to VMAC. I never went to Cheney, but I've been told VMAC TC is much different. Seating is on a grassy hill overlooking 2 fields with the lake in the background. We've had Eagles or Osprey circling a few times. There will be a few vendors and sponsor tents behind/at the top of the hill. There's always, at least, one place to get food but many of the tents are freebie give-aways. There's a 3rd field off to the left that Special Teams uses for most of the day. (pro-tip: check out Dickson's warm-up) A few players will come out early and do some personal warm-ups. They'll start with team warm-up and drills and then position/group drills. Pete will run around like a 10 year old high-fiving anyone that has a free hand through all of this. Then they'll break up into O/D. My understanding is that they alternate fields so you may have either on the closer field... I'm not sure about this...only been told. Later there'll do some plays with both starting O and D, a set of downs or several. At the end they have some goofy made up thing like throwing into garbage can or punting distance where anyone:players/coaches can try. Once practice is over, several players will come over to the hill to sign autographs...maybe 15 or 20 but they'll be 3-5 at a time so it'll go on for 30-45 minutes.

There's a VIP section to your right when you're sitting which you'll pass as you start up the back of the hill. Sometimes you can ID some celebs or family of players. They also hang out near the Lake where there's usually a large awning/shade... near the DJ but behind the speakers. There will probably be SeaGals and Blitz if you or kids want pics. Porta Pottys are the bathroom option but they have increased the number to have plenty over years. Also, there's a pro-shop set up in front of the training building so there is ample opportunity to spend any amount of money you have with you.

I drive from Boise so I take everything I might need, but you could probably check the weather that morning. Take binoculars, sunscreen, hat, blanket (to sit on, not to stay warm), beach chairs (you'll want something to sit on and having a back is a benefit, however full size chairs block the view of the people behind you if they're sitting on the ground) raingear and snacks... and a little patience.

Returning to the Landing consists of everyone being funneled onto the buses which means it's a bigger line/crowd. Hanging out on the hill might be preferable to all the elbows in the crowd if you're not in a hurry. By the time all the players are done with autographs, the bus line is pretty smooth. When I took my son (check avatar) we were usually among the last to leave. (another pro-tip: Either on your way out or in, check out the players' cars parked around the back side of VMAC. If I remember, there's a gate and a security guard, but you can look past.)

All in all it's pretty impressive that they pull this off as seamlessly as they do. That said, remember to take a deep breath and that it does take some time to move that many people. Also, this literally is one of the only times when "We're all on the same team" is applicable so approach it with that in mind and you'll have a great time. There will be a few people that want their kid to have the best seat or elbow through for an autograph or a certain seat on the bus or.... so again... deep breath and all-on-the-same-team.... You'll love it and probably want to go again every year.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
@chrispy I sincerely appreciate your write up and advice. Super helpful and informative. Thank you very much!

Yes I will definitely take sunscreen and a chair or towel

Hope to see some of you there

AgentDib

Reaction score
Parking at the Renton Landing is heavily monitored and restricted to the parking garage next to the theater, or the Boeing lots (B10?) a few blocks south. There's also a few hotels (Hyatt, Hampton, Marriott) next to Coulon Beach park I've stayed at a few times when I've been able to go back to back days. Parking fills up fast but it's a straight shot down highway 900 from Issaquah, so I would either be there early and park in the garage, or park a few blocks east of 405 and then Uber over.

You aren't supposed to line up more than two hours in advance, but there will be a pretty good line right at 8:30 am. There's a Top Pot Doughnuts at the Landing which is a good detour if you have a second to save the spot in line. The hill at VMAC is moderately steep and it's first come first serve for the coveted spots (flatter area at the top, next to the fence at the bottom). If you're fine with sitting on a beach towel on a steeper slope or mostly walking around then you don't need to be early. It does get pretty hot with no shade so I recommend a hat.

Snacks at the top of the hill are movie theater style. Bottled soda/water, candy, stadium dogs or burgers.

There's also a new Top Golf location just south of the LA Fitness which might be fun to hit afterwards if that's your thing.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Just don't expect much. The teams might practice in easy sight, or be on fields you can't see as well. Bring binoculars! Cheney was the good times, for sure. I went to one VMAC practice early on and was disappointed, would never go back.... don't let that discourage you as everyone should go once. Twice, no so much.