Trade Deadline 2023

toffee

Reaction score
Needs and wants, where are we at? We don't have much cap space, any guys on current roster that we don't want anymore? What areas of improvement that we need to focus on?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a new kicker? Myers is the second highest paid kicker and currently one of the worse in the NFL.

In a 50/50 type game like this weekend, it would be a shame if we lost 27-28 due to a missed FG... and I could see it happening.

KinesProf

Reaction score
If you had asked me before the season I'd lean towards the dline and interior oline. Now? It's kind of hard to nail down a spot of need unless a super high end dline from a bad team became available (such as Derrick Brown, DJ Jones, Leonard Williams, Dexter Lawrence).

But with the seasons guys like Jarran and Mario are having, emerging depth in Cam Young and Myles Adams defensively; and with the play of Brown, Olu, and Bradford offensively. It is tough to say there is any position that the Hawks should give up picks in order to pursue.

Pretty solid and deep all over the place right now.

Knock on wood, a key injury could of course change that.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The emerge of Cameron Young and Myles Adams are very encouraging, although Myles (285 lbs) is undersized?

Young played 21 snaps vs Panther, 4 A-gap, 17 B-gap, and PFF loved him with 70.2. Giants, he played 21 snaps too, 18 A-gap, 3 B-gap, PFF loved him even more 71.8. He is becoming a capable backup for Jarran Reed who is getting on age.

Myles Adams is helping out too, but he has so far been a B-gap dude, 23 snaps vs Panthers at 67.6; 22 snaps vs Giants at 78.6.

Without Young and Adams, we would be DT hunting aggressively, as is another rotation star DT would still be nice, just in case.

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind picking up a big bodied NT, but not sure who would be available for a reasonable cost. A couple teams already looking like they might want to be in fire sale mode, looking at you Denver.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind picking up a big bodied NT, but not sure who would be available for a reasonable cost. A couple teams already looking like they might want to be in fire sale mode, looking at you Denver.
They did pick up this guy and he’s currently on PS - https://www.nfl.com/players/carl-davis/

He was a solid rotational guy with the Patriots and Ravens. Two good defensive teams.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think the Hawks should hold pat, unless we have a key player go down to injury (not counting Jamal Adams). Save our draft capital, would like to see us get aggressive and go after our QBOTF. I have a bad feeling that run against the 49ers (twice), Eagles, Dallas & Baltimore will have us wanting more from our QB. Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see Geno taking us to the SB. Its kinda like Dallas with Dak, sorry dude isn't good enough to take arguably the team with the best personnel to the SB. With our young up and coming team its time to pull the trigger on our guy! Especially with all the QB talent in this class!

Mick063

Reaction score
I think the player most likely to be traded (though I would kind of hate to see it happen) would be Drew Lock. Similar to how Pete encourages assistants to take career enhancing moves, I believe Pete feels that Lock has earned his shot at a real opportunity for a starting gig, and I don't think he would intentionally send Drew to a team where he would be buried behind a young star (A Gardner Minshew type situation). Of course, team needs always come first and that is certainly the priority, but I think Pete and John would also go the extra mile to put Drew into a good situation because Drew has earned his shot. He bought in, has reliably delivered every time he was called upon, and has been a consistent team player. Pete doesn't mind personnel turnover for the purpose of career enhancement because maintaining that reputation as a career enhancer is very valuable in the long term relative to the loss of quality employees in the short term. That reputation is how you inherently sustain a reliable stream of young, capable talent into the organization.

Last edited:

SeaChat

Reaction score
QB Holton Ahlers #15 is back out on the practice field where he belongs and just in time.

Drew Lock, our #2 QB was ruled out with a reported ankle injury this week and will not travel to Cincinnati for Sunday’s game with the Bengals. Holton was instead activated to the 53 man roster as Geno Smith’s backup.

Am I the only one that is wondering if another John Schneider Blockbuster Trade Deal is brewing behind the scenes ?

It seems a little suspect that Drew ended the NY Giants game reportedly healthy, headed into the Seahawks bye week, then does not report for practice as his teammates resume practices ahead of their Sunday game with the Bengals, complaining of a sprained ankle.

Drew Lock does not report for practice with a sprained ankle, and will not travel to Cincinnati with his team + QB Holton Ahlers was conveniently called up and activated to our 53 Man Roster and will travel to Cincinnati as Geno’s backup + numerous teams are actively and openly hunting for starting quarterbacks, hoping to save their seasons, the Bronco’s being one of them as fate might have it.

With the Trade Deadline rapidly approaching, Drew’s phantom sprained ankle and practice no show, coupled with activities related to Holton Ahlers return, is it possible that Drew Lock is busy packing and making relocation preparations, ahead of the Seahawks trade announcement following their return from the Cincinnati Bengals game ?

You gotta admit, it appears that a lot of the signs of a trade are there. On the other hand I might just be a suspicious old 12th Man, saddled with a wild Imagination, and all of this are just the mindless rants of an ole 12th Man.

What do you think ?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
You gotta admit, it appears that a lot of the signs of a trade are there. On the other hand I might just be a suspicious old 12th Man, saddled with a wild Imagination, and all of this are just the mindless rants of an ole 12th Man.

What do you think ?
I just can't see Pete and John trading away our backup QB mid-season... period. It makes no sense whatsoever to me.

If Lock is somehow traded away and Geno goes down for a couple of games (or more!), Ahlers is FAR from ready to take over the reins. Again, it makes no sense.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
Anything is possible in this league. I just read a healine that players, coaches and staff are over Mac Jones in NE. Perhaps there's something of a trade brewing. But honestly, what I read was that Lock rolled his ankle when he accidentally stepped on another player's foot in practice. Might be a pretty significant sprain.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Since we have no cap space, don't expect us to be buyers in the trade market. If we can unload a player for draft picks, then I can see that. I just don't think we have that many candidates. Maybe Coby Bryant, Phil Haynes, Darryl Taylor. Would any of them even get a 4th rounder?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Needs
Guard. Our guys get hurt every other game. And they still can’t block the rams

Trade for a LB if a good one is available. I’m nervous of wags wearing down or injury by any of our lb

We could probably steal Thibodeaux from the giants for a 4-5 rounders. Pete could get the most out of him.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
We could probably steal Thibodeaux from the giants for a 4-5 rounders. Pete could get the most out of him.
Wasn't Thibodeaux a top 5 pick in last year's draft? Is he playing that horribly that they'd offload him for a 4th or 5th round pick??

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Needs
Guard. Our guys get hurt every other game. And they still can’t block the rams

Trade for a LB if a good one is available. I’m nervous of wags wearing down or injury by any of our lb

He gave us fits. Wouldn’t mind it but I doubt he’s dealt

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I think the player most likely to be traded (though I would kind of hate to see it happen) would be Drew Lock. Similar to how Pete encourages assistants to take career enhancing moves, I believe Pete feels that Lock has earned his shot at a real opportunity for a starting gig, and I don't think he would intentionally send Drew to a team where he would be buried behind a young star (A Gardner Minshew type situation). Of course, team needs always come first and that is certainly the priority, but I think Pete and John would also go the extra mile to put Drew into a good situation because Drew has earned his shot. He bought in, has reliably delivered every time he was called upon, and has been a consistent team player. Pete doesn't mind personnel turnover for the purpose of career enhancement because maintaining that reputation as a career enhancer is very valuable in the long term relative to the loss of quality employees in the short term. That reputation is how you inherently sustain a reliable stream of young, capable talent into the organization.
Respectfully, I completely disagree.

The team that values Drew Lock the most is the Seahawks.

We know that no teams viewed Lock as a starting caliber QB going into this year - as evidenced by his contract. My take is that the market for him was very soft, and that a $4M/year contract was average to below average for a backup. Maybe he had others looking at him as a prospect, but no one was looking at him as a starter. And, an above average camp isn't going to change that. The league simply doesn't view him as a starter today.

And, if another team did love him, they simply need to wait until after this season as he's only on a one year contract.

But, the Seahawks clearly see value in him. If Geno goes down, Lock keeps us afloat. He knows the system, has some command of the offense, and is a known resource. Those are only true to one team right now, and that's us.

Just my two cents.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Drew Lock, our #2 QB was ruled out with a reported ankle injury this week and will not travel to Cincinnati for Sunday’s game with the Bengals.
Source? Where are you seeing that he has been ruled out and hasn't travelled to Cincinnati?

Condotta had him back and practicing on the 13th, and you posted this today.