Trade 5 or stay put

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
This is how i see it. Lets just assume the Hawks are going to draft a defensive lineman or a Qb.

There are 6 teams that could draft a QB in the first 10 picks. Houston, indy, Seattle, atlanta, las vegas, carolina.

There are 2 teams that could draft a qb before #5... Houston and indy

There are 4 QBs that could go in the first 5 picks Shroud, Young, Levis, Richardson

There are possibly 7 teams that possibly could draft a DL in the first 10 picks. Chi, Hou, Az, Sea, Det, Atl, car.

There are 3 top teer DL that possibly could go in the first 5 picks Carter, Wilson and Anderson.

Probably Houston and Indy pick QBs

Now that Carter has a bunch of legal issues there is a good chance that chi will trade down. Who knows what that will look like.

With Detroit probably wanting a DL Vegas, atlanta 7th and 8th pick wanting a Qb.. i doubt Seattle will be able to trade down to get a DL or a qb unless they would be willing to take Carter with there first pick which actually could happen... no clue how far he might fall. That is kind of the wild card as i see it. Which teams are willing to take a chance on him where?

Are you guys following this?

So that leaves either staying put or trading up.

I think the Hawks are going to stay put and see who falls to them. They could trade up if they really like one of the Qbs i think there will be a DL and a Qb that will fall to them i just dont know who...

Do you agree or disagree with me?

Truthfully i have no idea whats going to happen but this is what is going through my mind

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I just think the Jalen Carter thing throws a monkey wrench into the top 5. Will Chicago trade Fields and take someone like Cj Shroud? Would Seattle be interested in Feilds?

Would Seattle take Carter at 5? Or would Seattle trade up to 1 and have their pick of who they want.

At this point i think there is a better chance of the Hawks trading up than down. I don't see the Hawks getting one of the top Qbs or DL if they trade down.

Maybe if they get some kind of wild deal and they get a bunch of draft picks and and players for 5, that could happen. The question then becomes what round do they feel has the best value?

Really the way i see it they are better off staying put. this is one of the more interesting drafts ive seen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I simply can't make a declaration without knowing who is left on the board, and what the exact offers to move down are.

I think they'll generally look to stay put, or even trade up, from 5... but this is a unique circumstance where the board could fall really badly in the top-4, or a team like Carolina could severely overpay to move up.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Assuming the draft order stays put, Houston & Indy are the only teams ahead of us likely to take a QB, I'm hoping Richardson did good enough at the combine to convince one of those teams to take him while the other team takes Young, giving Seattle the opportunity to nab Stroud.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Trade down to 8/9 to the falcons/ panthers. U just know they’re both gonna wanna leapfrog the raiders at 7. Whoever you trade with is gonna have a rookie qb starting for next year and from what I’ve seen if it’s Levis/richardson they weren’t ready to start in the nfl. If you could get a 2024 1st from one of those teams you’d potentially have an excellent pick next year again all for sliding down only a few picks. Take the best of Carter/ tyree/ kancey/ Murphy that’s available. Asset wise if you can bleed out one of those other teams because you’re leveraging a qb it’s a good opportunity to set yourself up with a top pick again next year.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I simply can't make a declaration without knowing who is left on the board, and what the exact offers to move down are.

I think they'll generally look to stay put, or even trade up, from 5... but this is a unique circumstance where the board could fall really badly in the top-4, or a team like Carolina could severely overpay to move up.
I could totally see someone massively spending to much draft capital... especially trading with the Bears it looks to me like it would be in the Bears interest to trade down.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Assuming the draft order stays put, Houston & Indy are the only teams ahead of us likely to take a QB, I'm hoping Richardson did good enough at the combine to convince one of those teams to take him while the other team takes Young, giving Seattle the opportunity to nab Stroud.
I would see that as a possibility if chicago took Carter at one... i guess it is still a possibility and i would not have a problem with that scenerio only i think some one is going to trade up to get Stroud.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
The possibilities are endless. Thats what makes this all so maddening. I will just say this: *If* there's a QB that JS has that "feeling" about like he did with Mahomes and Allen, he needs to do everything he can to trade with the Bears. If he feels that way, probably another team does too. We're never going to have this ammunition again. If he doesn't have that feeling, then just stay put or trade back. To me, there will be a guy worth taking at 5 no matter what. John might feel differently.

In John we trust!

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
The possibilities are endless. Thats what makes this all so maddening. I will just say this: *If* there's a QB that JS has that "feeling" about like he did with Mahomes and Allen, he needs to do everything he can to trade with the Bears. If he feels that way, probably another team does too. We're never going to have this ammunition again. If he doesn't have that feeling, then just stay put or trade back. To me, there will be a guy worth taking at 5 no matter what. John might feel differently.

In John we trust!
I wonder if Seattle is going to make a big splash in FA to shore up the D line. Personally id rather they went to the draft to do it but looking back it feels like they like to do it in FA. if they do do it in FA it will make the draft clearer IMO.

AgentDib

Reaction score
#1 LVR Richardson
#2 HOU Young
#3 ARI Anderson
#4 IND Levis
#5 SEA Stroud

This stuff changes all the time, but my prediction today is that Chicago will no longer try to stay in front of us to draft Carter, but will entertain a larger trade down instead.

That might be Las Vegas for two reasons. First, they are supposedly cash strapped and a rookie #1 QB is still much cheaper than one of the expensive veteran options like Rodgers. JimmyG would probably be plan A, except even he would want $45m guaranteed and the #1 pick only gets half of that. Second, McDaniels is coming off a poor initial 6-11 season and a rookie QB with upside would buy him a lot of time. He's typically drafted large QBs and a project like Richardson would buy him at least two years of job security as long as Richardson looks electric now and then which he probably will.

If Vegas were to take Richardson, then I think the Texans would run to the podium to take Bryce Young, followed by the Cardinals fielding calls about a trade down but then turning them all down to take Will Anderson.

Reading into the tea-leaves, Indy is very traits based and wants a personable star QB to be the face of their franchise again. That's Will Levis exactly, who has great traits and looks grown in a lab to shake hands with owners and kiss babies.

In this scenario, I think the Seahawks would do their due diligence about trading down to see if anybody was offering something crazy for Stroud, but would ultimately be very happy to stay put and take their favorite QB themselves. He has both the accuracy and touch to make every throw in Waldron's playbook with ease, gets the ball out quickly, and makes good decisions with the football.

Is it a coincidence that my projection has us getting the player I've wanted us to end up with for the last two seasons now? Maybe not.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If Geno leaves, we gotta get one of the top four Qbs.

And if he doesn’t, Carter may well be a fit if his legal situation doesn’t escalate and if, crucially if, we bring back Bobby. Who else in the front 7 would Carter really respect?

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
#1 LVR Richardson
#2 HOU Young
#3 ARI Anderson
#4 IND Levis
#5 SEA Stroud

This stuff changes all the time, but my prediction today is that Chicago will no longer try to stay in front of us to draft Carter, but will entertain a larger trade down instead.

That might be Las Vegas for two reasons. First, they are supposedly cash strapped and a rookie #1 QB is still much cheaper than one of the expensive veteran options like Rodgers. JimmyG would probably be plan A, except even he would want $45m guaranteed and the #1 pick only gets half of that. Second, McDaniels is coming off a poor initial 6-11 season and a rookie QB with upside would buy him a lot of time. He's typically drafted large QBs and a project like Richardson would buy him at least two years of job security as long as Richardson looks electric now and then which he probably will.

If Vegas were to take Richardson, then I think the Texans would run to the podium to take Bryce Young, followed by the Cardinals fielding calls about a trade down but then turning them all down to take Will Anderson.

Reading into the tea-leaves, Indy is very traits based and wants a personable star QB to be the face of their franchise again. That's Will Levis exactly, who has great traits and looks grown in a lab to shake hands with owners and kiss babies.

In this scenario, I think the Seahawks would do their due diligence about trading down to see if anybody was offering something crazy for Stroud, but would ultimately be very happy to stay put and take their favorite QB themselves. He has both the accuracy and touch to make every throw in Waldron's playbook with ease, gets the ball out quickly, and makes good decisions with the football.

Is it a coincidence that my projection has us getting the player I've wanted us to end up with for the last two seasons now? Maybe not.
That would absolutly blow my mind if Vegas traded up and took Richardson at one. I think because i see him as a project and not a number one pick... but it absolutely would NOT surprise me if if they took him #1. What do i know? Maybe he is but like you stroud would be my pick in this class.

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
The more i think about Richardson, I remember that Carroll LOVES EXTRAORDINARY talent and this guy meets that criteria. I would rather have CJ Stroud but even though i have poo pooed the idea in other posts they just might go after richardson... how much do they like him? #1 Oh my!

sutz

Reaction score
I think they stay put, but I also think that JS is working the phones right now to have a deal in his back pocket if the board blows up ahead of us. I seriously doubt they would try to move up. The cost to move up that high is just too steep IMO. JMO, I could be wrong. ;)

morgulon1

Reaction score
If Geno leaves, we gotta get one of the top four Qbs.

And if he doesn’t, Carter may well be a fit if his legal situation doesn’t escalate and if, crucially if, we bring back Bobby. Who else in the front 7 would Carter really respect?
That's an interesting thought. If the Seahawks were to take Carter, who is already on the Seahawks that Carter would have to respect and listen to?

Maybe someone like Michael Bennett? Cliff Avril? KJ? Wagner?

Bruce ???

You see, this is the situation that Seattle is in. They don't have anyone who makes you think twice . Nwousu is great but is he a game wrecker ? A guy that tilts the field as
Mr Schneider puts it. I personally hope Seattle doesn't take Carter at 5. Not because
He left the scene of a fatal accident but because he screams average NFL player to me. Just my humble opinion. Seattle can't afford any children with issues, they aren't
In a position to deal with it.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I think they stay put, but I also think that JS is working the phones right now to have a deal in his back pocket if the board blows up ahead of us. I seriously doubt they would try to move up. The cost to move up that high is just too steep IMO. JMO, I could be wrong. ;)
Can you imagine the phone lines that will be buzzing Seattle's war room after pick 4 is done?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
The more I look at Schneider's draft capital while also owning the 5 pick, the more I feel like we can't really go wrong, the odds of failure for trading back no more than say 7 spots and gaining even more draft capital in this draft are actually low. Sign Geno, draft Hooker later, draft bpa otherwise and maybe pickup a pick next year as well via moving back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Chicago already said that they're trading out of #1, so there's another team that's going to trade into the top 5 to grab a QB.

Arizona might do the same. So that's at LEAST three QB's going in the first 5, maybe even 4.

This all bodes well for using the #5 on whoever John and Pete covet, or dropping down a couple spots if they can find a team that's willing to move up.

I said before last week that I think we stay put at 5 if Carter or Anderson are available, but with Carter's recent drama Anderson is probably the only player I can see us staying put for......and IMO that's who Arizona's going to draft if he's there at 4.

But like others are saying, this is all EXTREMELY fluid depending on what's going on ahead of us with the first four picks to really say with even a sliver of certainty.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I highly doubt JS will trade up. I feel he may stay put at #5 and grab BPA, but trading down to acquire even more picks while proclaiming they still ended up getting who they wanted all along is totally his M.O. so I could absolutely see that as well.

To me, re-signing Geno before the draft will play a significant factor in where they pick and who they pick with their first two selections. If Stroud or Young is there at #5, that may be too much potential to pass on. It's going to be incredibly intriguing to see what they do next month.