This QB class sure took a turn.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I still love Young even if this board hates him and I’m starting to warm up to Levis too.
i feel the same way about Young. I was surprised to see how often he does things like climbing the pocket and throwing timing routes. He's not Russell Wilson in that regard. Only issue i have is he's a bit too skinny. He's a bit more Patrick Mahommes than Wilson with the way he approaches the game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the top QBs in the 2023 draft especially the 2 QBs that have incredibly strong throwing arms but not much between the ears. When Levis was at Penn St he had the same physical ability but couldn’t beat out Sean Clifford to me that’s a head scratcher.

For me the most important ability for a QB is able to read and process information quickly having a very strong throwing arm is over rated Jamarcus Russell comes to mind

Joe Burrow couldn't beat out anyone at Ohio State, so that line of argument is invalid.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bryce Young has had an elite offensive line to play behind, although not quite as good this year. If he can get injured while playing behind Alabama's OLine, imagine what NFL defenses will do to him. He's an elite processor, but he'll start seeing ghosts his 1st year in.

I like CJ Stroud, but still a little nervous about spending that much draft capital on him. Will Levis is good, but this year he had a new OC, no OLine, and no offensive support. It was the Will Levis show.

I like Hendon Hooker late. take a shot on him and let him sit.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Joe Burrow couldn't beat out anyone at Ohio State, so that line of argument is invalid.
An article on why Joe Burrow didn’t make it at Ohio St

I did some research on why Levis transferred nothing came up. I can only assume that the mental part of playing QB was the issue. Sean Clifford was a steady player physically good enough and not a turn over machine

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
To me, this is a pretty outstanding draft for QB. It's not your typical good QB draft where there is a Lawrence/Burrow/Luck standing there alone at #1. But I see this draft as having at least 4 Tagovailoa/Herbert level prospects. I'd put Levis/Richardson/Stroud at that level and firmly ahead of Lance/Wilson/Mayfield/Wentz purely as prospects with only college tape to their names.

This class is also largely devoid of star wars stats prospects. Other than Young and Stroud having talent inequity advantages -- most of the guys on the radar are there for more pure prospect qualities. And I would definitely put Young/Stroud in a different class than Mac Jones or Brissett/Haskins/Fields. To me there is less muddying of the waters in this position group than in the majority of draft classes.

I can't really find a draft class similar to this one since 2000. Maybe 2011, but I really felt it was only Newton/Gabbert worthy of 1st round grades. The rest were day two guys in my estimation.

I suspect there will be a run on QBs in this draft. Pushed primarily because there just aren't many, if any, blue chip pass rushers or left tackles in the pool to push them back. If you're picking in the top 10, and you're hoping for something else, you're just kind of getting a 18th to 25th overall quality player. None of the pass rushers on this board would have been rated above Brian Burns/Dexter Lawrence/Jeffery Simmons taken in 2019 at 16th, 17th and 19th respectively.

Very few special players at other positions here in 2023 (Robinson/Mayer). Taking a non QB is fighting the board this year every bit as much at loading up on QBs was in 2011 or taking LJ Collier because we had to come away with a DE after they were all gone in 2019.

You can't draft what isn't there. The value at QB is pretty insane this season. The draft seems to me to be good through R4/R5 otherwise (not unlike most years). But seems like that day 2-3 value is in the secondary, RB and OL. Last year was the LB draft. This year it's kind of filled with BBK types. Seattle has major holes at RB (only Walker and Dallas under contract). OL pretty filled out except for OC. Thin at OG, and if we cut Gabe Jackson for cap space, then it's an outright hole as we only have Lewis signed.

The day 2 value really aligns with our holes. I could really see RB/IOL/NT/S slots being strongly addressed with the day 2s we have.

Other than the spectacle of the Combine, I honestly haven't been this underwhelmed for the event in a long time. There are to me 3 elements to the combine. One to see how the players move. Two, to help direct deeper dives on good testers who have poor production. Third to solidify good producing players who are unicorn athletes as well.

This year seems to be lacking the third category almost completely. Few special players. No LTs at all. No real top 15 overall pass rushers. Pretty awful 6-15 overall landscape. This draft season is going to be a tortuous exercise in qualifying why great testers performed so badly on tape.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Hooker is 25. Too old to sit, at least that's what all the mocks are saying. If he could win the job from Lock though, then let him start. Right?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
And much smarter, more accurate and can read defenses extremely fast 😁
He does almost all this from the shotgun right?
Just like Russ and Kyler because they can't see otherwise..
What's going to to happen when they know his arm is no threat deep?
Force him to run and get killed by routine tackles and hits that your
man Russ could take due to his build.
Young is just a little skinny toothpick..Big mistake if we take him.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Bryce Young is way better than you all give him credit for. Most NFL ready guy in the draft by a long ways.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hooker is 25. Too old to sit, at least that's what all the mocks are saying. If he could win the job from Lock though, then let him start. Right?
Lock will not be a Seahawk next year.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Will Levis is almost certainly a bust. NFL arm. College brain and Brady athleticism.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Lock will not be a Seahawk next year.
Wouldn‘t the smart move be signing Lock to a cheap deal and then negotinting with Geno?

Unless you throw big money at Geno he’s going to test the market and that could take time considering the potential glut of free agent QBs.

Lock is a hedge on losing out in QB musical chairs unless they see Mannion as a better option.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Bryce Young has had an elite offensive line to play behind, although not quite as good this year. If he can get injured while playing behind Alabama's OLine, imagine what NFL defenses will do to him. He's an elite processor, but he'll start seeing ghosts his 1st year in.

I like CJ Stroud, but still a little nervous about spending that much draft capital on him. Will Levis is good, but this year he had a new OC, no OLine, and no offensive support. It was the Will Levis show.

100%

Ozzy

Reaction score
Bryce Young is way better than you all give him credit for. Most NFL ready guy in the draft by a long ways.
While I think you may be wrong on Levis you’re spot on with Young. He’s a special talent. If he can stay healthy hes going to be really, really good