JS/PC's QB plan

Seahawker

Reaction score
You could use the non exclusive tag on Geno for two consecutive years at about 30M per year. I doubt anyone would give two first rounders for him and we could (wisely) use a lower round pick on a QB to sit & learn while Geno kicks butt for a couple years.
Or..., maybe GS comes back to earth a bit in 22' & that allows us to retain him through a more reasonable contract.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities if they still see potential in D. Lock (Geno & Lock both FA's in 23') that they could sign Geno to a 20-25M 3-4 year incentive laden deal and sign Lock to a 1.4M one year BU deal AND draft a QB in the 2nd or later they feel has a ton of upside to sit a year or two. Carry 3 QB's in 2023 & see how it shakes out. This will also allow them to stack the defense with our two 1st rounders and possibly develop some trade bait with our QB's.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
And then there's this rumor:

According to Heavy’s Matt Lombardo, the Seahawks are one of three teams — the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers being the others — considering a trade destination for the Dallas Cowboys’ Cooper Rush. The former undrafted quarterback has made waves as of late in Dallas, winning all three of his starts this season for the Cowboys.

Lombardo argues that the Seahawks don’t have a long-term solution at quarterback. Even with Geno Smith’s hot start to the season — he has completed an NFL-record 77.3 percent of his passes during his first four starts of the season — Seattle could look towards the younger Rush to lead them in the near future.

“However, Pete Carroll and the Seahawks coaching staff’s lack of belief in Drew Lock was evident this summer, and with Smith on a one-year deal, perhaps Seattle views Rush as the type of quarterback who can carry the baton and keep the Seahawks in the mix in the NFC West for years to come,” says Lombardo.

Not a chance in hell this will happen. The only trait Pete and John have consistently targeted in QBs is arm strength, and Cooper Rush has a squirt gun.

Geno's only 32. I'm not sure how long-term Lombardo is projecting, but at worst, he could be a bridge QB for another two seasons.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I have said it time and again. PC got rid of RW to create 2011/2012 all over again. This is 2011 next year the draft of the next QB is 2012. Geno is Tavaris. Next year is the year before the SB.

He did it regularly in college and he is finally doing it AGAIN here after he let himself lose his way to a smooth narcissistic politician.

I agree. But I think one of the largest differences is that Geno is a superior player to Tavaris (in my opinion) and the Pete and John have already established themselves in Seattle.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I have said it time and again. PC got rid of RW to create 2011/2012 all over again. This is 2011 next year the draft of the next QB is 2012. Geno is Tavaris. Next year is the year before the SB.

He did it regularly in college and he is finally doing it AGAIN here after he let himself lose his way to a smooth narcissistic politician.
Guess that means they're drafting Jaren Hall, a.k.a the next Russell Wilson. ;)

Scout

Reaction score
We may have a QB problem if Geno plays at his current level for a whole season, that's top five if not top three level. Geno will get league wide attention as a FA, QB needy teams will be lining up. Do we sign him to long term? 3-5 years or just let him walk? It will cost $$$$ to sign him.

There is no reason to think the rookie that we draft will be ready in day 1, most aren't. Ideally we want to have Geno to baby sit the rook for a season if not two. But at what cost?
You can always franchise tag if need be but honestly I think the team is going to draft a QB in 2023 no matter what happens in free agency. Need to have at least one QB under contract long term.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Derp derp derp, I'm sure these bumbling fools don't even have a plan,. You know they are just dumb and inept...they just float along taking all of Allen's money. :D

toffee

Reaction score
Derp derp derp, I'm sure these bumbling fools don't even have a plan,. You know they are just dumb and inept...they just float along taking all of Allen's money. :D
Everything you said is true, confirmed by none other than fade and his jodi (with an i).

chris98251

Reaction score
Name the time they traded back with a top 10 pick.

This narrative is odd when it doesn't really fit... because we've only picked that high a few times and when we did? We didn't trade back, so not sure where you get they will?
Sometime back John had said that he prefers to draft after 15 or so, there are only 5 to 10 guys elite and you pay for it, the players from like 15 thru 40 are all pretty even and it's a pick a skill set. Then added that trading back past 25 enables you to manage cap space easier, 5th year option, out of first round, ability to resign without sacrificing more players to fit them in the cap etc.

I also believe Pete has a Bud Grant, Chuck Knox opinion of QB's, you need a guy to run the offense, not be the offense. It is showing more now with Geno then the Diva, the Diva followed instructions and worked withing the system early on, once he began thinking he was a Brand that changed.

toffee

Reaction score
Sometime back John had said that he prefers to draft after 15 or so, there are only 5 to 10 guys elite and you pay for it, the players from like 15 thru 40 are all pretty even and it's a pick a skill set. Then added that trading back past 25 enables you to manage cap space easier, 5th year option, out of first round, ability to resign without sacrificing more players to fit them in the cap etc.

I also believe Pete has a Bud Grant, Chuck Knox opinion of QB's, you need a guy to run the offense, not be the offense. It is showing more now with Geno then the Diva, the Diva followed instructions and worked withing the system early on, once he began thinking he was a Brand that changed.
Russ is a complex person in many different ways and levels, Hackett is finding out the hard way. Two things that are unlimited on Wilson, his insecurity and the anti-insecurity: his ambition. Pete managed to keep everything in a bottle, for a few years, then mr. unlimited was out of the bottle.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This thread was fairly prescient and has aged pretty well. Things are lining up mostly as predicted, and the Hawks are positioned well to take a qb to sit behind Geno. And if not, they will get a DL stud. We can't lose either way.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Don't be shocked if Will Levis is the pick at 5. I'd rather have Stroud but I've had a gut feeling they like him.
I do think Levis has a lot of traits that John has liked historically. His tape from last year wasn't good but it was much better in 21, he plays in an offense that is real similar to Seattle's too. Wouldn't shock me at all if they took Levis.

bileever

Reaction score
Outside of Stroud and Young, I don't see a first-round QB worth taking. I'm not sold on Levis or Richardson, not at 5 or 20. I would be tempted if Levis was there at 20, but he's no sure thing.

Is there a value pick in round 2 or 3? Most experts don't think Hendon Hooker, Stetson Bennett or Max Duggan are diamonds in the rough that will become elite pros. Of these three, Hooker looks the most promising, but I didn't see enough good stuff on his tape (especially with him having to go to a secondary target) to know if he can be a good QB in the NFL.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Outside of Stroud and Young, I don't see a first-round QB worth taking. I'm not sold on Levis or Richardson, not at 5 or 20. I would be tempted if Levis was there at 20, but he's no sure thing.

Is there a value pick in round 2 or 3? Most experts don't think Hendon Hooker, Stetson Bennett or Max Duggan are diamonds in the rough that will become elite pros. Of these three, Hooker looks the most promising, but I didn't see enough good stuff on his tape (especially with him having to go to a secondary target) to know if he can be a good QB in the NFL.
I like Bennet quite a bit.