The plan on how to install a new defense

toffee

Reaction score
Our young Macdonald has a plan for the installation of his defense, so far, he has installed 20%:

The plan, Macdonald explained, is to build a baseline of fundamentals and concepts for the defense, then to later focus on installing specific plays.​
"We're chasing the baseline, base fundamentals," he said. "It's not a huge install, it's concepts. We'll get the base concepts in, then we'll go from there."​
Macdonald said that in addition to taking their time in installing things, he will also be flexible to assure things are progressing at a rate that's best for the team's growth.​
"We're still installing," he said. "We're going to installing defensively throughout. Install two was today, and we'll evaluate it as we go. If the guys are slow to make some checks, anticipating things, we'll make some decisions so it doesn't pile on, so we don't get too far behind. I'm not really worried about the pace of how fast we get everything in. We want a really good foundation for when we get into camp. So we have a schedule, but we'll adjust as we go.​
Macdonald added that they're "chasing execution" and said the pace of installing a defense can vary. For example, he noted that his year as defensive coordinator at Michigan went at a slower pace, as did his first year installing the defense in Baltimore, whereas things moved at a different pace in his second year as the Ravens' coordinator.​

Are you excited that our Macdonald has a plan?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Was listening to Hawklblogger and they were saying McDonald said some of the defensive players have struggled about learning the foundations/scheme in OTA's. I did find that honesty pretty refreshing to be honest after years of Pete's everything is great fluff. Obviously they still have lots of time to figure it out so not worried.

HOF Hater

Reaction score
So good to hear honesty instead of fluff,.I'd rather hear the struggles and triumphs, it paints the picture honestly and doesn't hide the blemishes along the way

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So good to hear honesty instead of fluff,.I'd rather hear the struggles and triumphs, it paints the picture honestly and doesn't hide the blemishes along the way
It will be weird after a loss this season not to hear a coach basically talking in positives/not gaslighting and just saying we didn't do great at x and need to improve it.

chrispy

Reaction score
I wonder if the team shifts, over time, from solely athletic standouts (remember when every thread in here included SPARQ) toward more cerebral players that think quickly but might not have the fastest 40. There have been some brought in previously (pick your favorite) because of their athleticism and perhaps overlooked some boneheadedness. Sure, I know, that happens on every team, but I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out here over the next 3 years.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If the coaches don't know how to install a new defense, I'm sure there's a YouTube video they can watch that will show them. I'm not worried.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
What year is this? Just watch a few tiktoks.

Last I checked YouTube is still vastly more popular. Double the users as lowly TikTok.

A friend of mine keeps trying to show me videos on TikTok, and they're all just so terrible. I think you have to have a max IQ of 100 to enjoy TikTok. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't fit that demographic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Last I checked YouTube is still vastly more popular. Double the users as lowly TikTok.

A friend of mine keeps trying to show me videos on TikTok, and they're all just so terrible. I think you have to have a max IQ of 100 to enjoy TikTok. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't fit that demographic.
Is there a minimum IQ requirement? Just making sure that I will qualify to use TikTok.