The Blair Walsh Appreciation Thread

Sac

Reaction score
d3f5ac5db38bbcc22f2fd2363b971fb2.jpg

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":39v54poe said:
He will carry the Scott Norwood Cross now, never the same after his misses .

Just watched the 30 for 30 about the Bills on Netflix after the game. It was amazing how Buffalo and the team embraced Scott Norwood after the miss in the Super Bowl. Norwood, just like Walsh, behaved very professionally and answered all of the questions the media asked (the team actually had to step in after an half hour of questions to put an end to it). Norwood would go on to hit the field goal in the following AFC Championship game, sealing the game for the Bills (though he was traded away after the season was over).

Some of the differences between the two:

Norwood: Team/city showed support, Super Bowl, snap/hold was good, kick was 47 yards.
Walsh: Coach threw him under the bus in the press conference, Wild Card, snap was a bit high; hold was bad, kick was 27 yards.

In both cases, the kickers showed a lot of class. Hopefully, this won't define Walsh's career like it did Norwood's.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I don't think Coach Z. intended to throw him under the bus. He was just matter of fact that those are kicks you have to make, which is true. It was much different from what Mora did to Olindo Mare.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm glad the Seahawks won. I can't imagine how bad it is to be Blair Walsh.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3qlgv8oj said:
I don't think Coach Z. intended to throw him under the bus. He was just matter of fact that those are kicks you have to make, which is true. It was much different from what Mora did to Olindo Mare.

That may be, but in my opinion, it was a wasted opportunity to reinforce the notion that each game is won and lost as a team. It's easy to put the blame on one person who makes a mistake at the end of the game, but mistakes were made throughout the game, including AP's fumble and I didn't hear him say that AP should have just held onto the ball when it mattered. In fact, just before he says, "It's a chip shot; he's got to make it." says that the rest of the team, specifically mentioning the offense in his statement, played well enough to win.

I don't think I've ever heard Pete criticize an individual player in a post game press conference like that. He usually only criticizes units without mentioning specific names and heaps praise on individuals who play well. Even when given the opportunity to criticize players and coaches after last year's heart wrenching Super Bowl loss, he refused to do so and I think the team is better for it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Vikes45":1tu3a3dg said:
SomersetHawk":1tu3a3dg said:
I'll be the first to say thank you, that was a terribly generous act. What a man.

LOL!

I personally do not blame Walsh. He hit 3 out of 4 FG's in terrible conditions. The Vikings offense did not punch the ball into the endzone one time. Peterson fumbled in a critical place which is typical for him (anyone remember the '09 NFC Championship game...3 fumbles)

Walsh also hit at least 2 touchbacks on KO's. He did his job, the team did not.

But I get your sentiment LOL.

As weird as this sounds, I feel good about this game. I've always felt this team isn't ready for the next step up. We need to move on from Adrian Peterson and focus on Teddy Bridgewater and the passing game. We have some decent RB's (Asiata and McKinnon) and I expect offensive line focused draft this year and a WR.

Teddy is 23 years old and I think he has a high ceiling.

BTW, if you guys had Lynch in this game it would have been completely different. There was so many times I saw spots where he would have ripped off big runs after broken tackles.
Thanks. Your team is coming along faster than even Zimmer probably hoped. Got some young and talented studs especially on defense. By the way not everyone shares your sentiments on Lynch.

Laloosh

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":30xxbpct said:
I say we send him some flowers.

Maybe a nice assortment of chocolates in the shape of footballs with GIGANTIC laces.

Donn2390

Reaction score
City Of Reign":n2th8gwx said:
The replay shows a lot of the blame actually goes on the holder who had a really really bad hold for Walsh. None the less that was such a chip shot, I'm just stunned !!!

Edit: Man looking at it again, that hold not only showed the laces, it was tilted toward the goal, just a pathetic hold. I know a lot of blame will be piled on Walsh, but that was all the holder
It looked to me on replay, that his plant foot slipped out from under him??????

DeeHawks

Reaction score
It did look like his plant foot might have slipped somewhat.
Feel bad for him, tough way to lose.
Glad we won however--we're on to Carolina!

Sign37now

Reaction score
How can you not feel bad for the guy? Now their fans have a taste of what we all felt at the end of the SB last February. Game in hand, no brainer, no way we lose, heart yanked out of your chest, OMG, this isn't real, that didn't just happen, tomorrow is going to suck balls. Welcome to the club Vike fans...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Reports were he was sobbing by his locker after the game.