The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawker

Reaction score
^^^ Haven't been in such a while, but I'm sure they do.

I liken that to the ever-popular bobblehead. I have friends that align their ticket purchases to the bobblehead giveaways.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":gjspyd66 said:
It didn't take that long for the Mariners to take their rightful place at the bottom of the Division.

sigh...

I want to argue so hard against this... but there is literally no reason why it's not true.

Baseball season may be over already and I haven't even filed my taxes (dont judge)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3gimraoj said:
I wish there was an archive of these threads since this board began. They all begin the same way, optimistic, excited for the season, and with most people saying stuff like "I think they'll just miss the playoffs, but it should be a fun season!", and within a week or two, everyone is cursing the FO, cursing several of the players, lamenting Felix's plight, etc. etc.

I like to join in because reasons.

Disaster girl

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I would love to see a comparison between a Mariners forum and a Browns forum before and during the season. I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of similarities. Right now on the Browns forum I'm sure they are talking about how they have hope in the new regime and new direction of the franchise. This could be the year!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The one big thing that bothers me about the Mariners and their fans in is that they don't seem to care. I go to a handful of games each year and it is the same old crap. People just talking and not watching the game. 90% of the people at the games don't even know the players or how the game is played. They boo when the pitcher throws to first base. Fans care more about the bobble heads and trains than winning. Kids hang out in the beer garden and don't even watch the game, most of them have their backs turned to the field. The loudest cheers come for the hydro races on the jumbo-screen. When Felix pitches they'd rather see Felix strikeout as many hitters and lose than win without any strikeouts. Mariner games are no longer about winning, it's about everything but the game of baseball. I've been to a ton of baseball stadiums (last year went to Wrigley and Fenway) and none of them compare to our lame experience. As beautiful as Safeco is, the experience has been ruined by a bad product.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":10fu0txe said:
The one big thing that bothers me about the Mariners and their fans in is that they don't seem to care. I go to a handful of games each year and it is the same old crap. People just talking and not watching the game. 90% of the people at the games don't even know the players or how the game is played. They boo when the pitcher throws to first base. Fans care more about the bobble heads and trains than winning. Kids hang out in the beer garden and don't even watch the game, most of them have their backs turned to the field. The loudest cheers come for the hydro races on the jumbo-screen. When Felix pitches they'd rather see Felix strikeout as many hitters and lose than win without any strikeouts. Mariner games are no longer about winning, it's about everything but the game of baseball. I've been to a ton of baseball stadiums (last year went to Wrigley and Fenway) and none of them compare to our lame experience. As beautiful as Safeco is, the experience has been ruined by a bad product.

All told, the M's have had what...3 good seasons in almost 40 years of play? Why would you expect to have Wrigley (historic team in a classic ball park) or Fenway (same, only with success) experience in Safeco? Sodo Mojo was but a hiccup in baseball time--what's left are die hards and people who go to baseball because it's fashionable.

It's the same as it's always been, barring a few years in there 15 years or so ago. The culture will change once winning is no longer a fantasy. I maintain my fandom basically as something to do in the offseason, and it appears that this year will be the same as (almost) all the years before it: watch the Ms games with ever decreasing frequency right up until Seahawk traning camp starts in July, then be done with it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1q0rms7y said:
Hawk-Lock":1q0rms7y said:

All told, the M's have had what...3 good seasons in almost 40 years of play? Why would you expect to have Wrigley (historic team in a classic ball park) or Fenway (same, only with success) experience in Safeco? Sodo Mojo was but a hiccup in baseball time--what's left are die hards and people who go to baseball because it's fashionable.

It's the same as it's always been, barring a few years in there 15 years or so ago. The culture will change once winning is no longer a fantasy. I maintain my fandom basically as something to do in the offseason, and it appears that this year will be the same as (almost) all the years before it: watch the Ms games with ever decreasing frequency right up until Seahawk traning camp starts in July, then be done with it.

You hit the nail right on the head. The Mariners franchise has not only ruined the fan-base but has pretty much ruined baseball in the city of Seattle. Why would anyone care about baseball in Seattle? The team has been irrelevant for over a decade. If you were born in the 90's in the Northwest, there is a good chance you don't even care about baseball. And if you do, you don't know what winning baseball is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ll1p672 said:

I had season tix back when Safeco opened, and it wasn't always like this. I went to about half the games in 2001, and the atmosphere was incredible, with everyone hanging on every pitch and at bat.

So the answer is when the team is worthy of hanging on every pitch and at bat, fans will care again. It's not the other way around.

Right now the only reason to go to an M's game is to hang out in the beer garden on a nice day and talk to your friends. Cause the product on the field is utter garbage...........and it's been that way for far too long.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ggm1lph said:
Hawk-Lock":3ggm1lph said:

I had season tix back when Safeco opened, and it wasn't always like this. I went to about half the games in 2001, and the atmosphere was incredible, with everyone hanging on every pitch and at bat.

So the answer is when the team is worthy of hanging on every pitch and at bat, fans will care again. It's not the other way around.

Right now the only reason to go to an M's game is to hang out in the beer garden on a nice day and talk to your friends. Cause the product on the field is utter garbage...........and it's been that way for far too long.

give this man a beer~! he speaks the truth.... I used to be a die hard as well. baseball was my life as a kid and into my early 20s.. then this train wreck took place.. I am fine with losing... i have stayed with the hawks since i was 5.... but they actually improved the product on the field... the Ms have been the same team with diff names the last 15 years.. that is why i barely watch... its tough to support a team thats owners obviously do not care about winning of the fans.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You CANNOT be a Mariners fan and care about winning. The 2 are mutually exclusive.

I feel bad for Mariner fans, even though I used to be one. First I stopped caring about the Mariners, then I stopped caring about Baseball - then a local product I watched (Lincecum) gets drafted by the Giants because the local team stupidly cannot even scout borderline HOF pitchers in their own backyard.

Nevermind they were in a position to watch the guy silence metal bats repeatedly. They pick the big guy from somewhere else that sucks. Because Mariners.

So I watch the Lincecum, follow him to his new home and after watching for a while realize, hell, he is pretty good. Then the Giants reel off tons of wins and a few WS titles. Cannot say I wasted the time watching them.

Still enjoy watching their players, even with Lincecum not playing.

Being a Mariner fan is like being a Browns fan. You know they don't care about you, you know they are milking you. But you hope for something anyway.

Last year I was given box seats to go see Felix (might have been the year before, not sure) and I didn't even go. To the free game, because why?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Only took a few games before the Mariners remembered who they were. Good times.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1bwhepp4 said:
Marines need to take advantage of the favorable schedule. We should aim for 4-2 on this home stand against the A's and Rangers.

Looks more like 1-5 or 0-6. What a pathetic team this is. For whatever reason, Safeco has never been that great to this team. The last few years I feel more confident with us on the road than at home.

And Wade Miley will flame out fast in Seattle. He was a hamburger before he came here and he still is. He is nothing more than an innings guy. Anyone who watches baseball knows you can pencil him in for an ERA north of 4.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
I went last night. Left in the 7th inning. I have never left a game early before but wow... Just terrible. Seems to be the same old Mariners. Look great on paper, but just don't mesh as a team. I don't get it.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
This is a garbage team with garbage players who have the hearts of a mosquito. I hate everything about these bums except for one guy, Felix, who should just straight up beat the tar out of half the line up that this pathetic squad trots out to support his Hall of Fame career.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Ticket prices are pretty high too. 18 bucks for bleacher seats? 12 for a beer... Most parks have better ball clubs and cheaper prices. I'll just watch on ROOT for now until they show me some heart and that they can score more than 3 runs in a series. Although Jay B in the booth makes me want to watch the game on mute.

Status
Not open for further replies.