Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What an uninspiring hire for them if it comes to pass

Fields needs a run game

Caleb will too, if that happens

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Shane is better than most realize. He was the best coach on the staff

He was #9 in EPA, with a bottom 5 O-Line, and mid-Geno at QB.

28th in possessions. (He never had the ball because the defense couldn't get off the field.)
That bottom 5 OL is coached by his package-deal partner, and his running attacks were quite uninspiring after Solari was pushed out.

He's not the worst OC, but a lot of these issues are attributable to his lack of balance, lack of offensive identity, and apparent lack of detail-oriented coaching. Namely the third down and RZ issues.

Best coach on staff (besides Pete for going 9-8 despite holding onto ineffective assistants out of a sense of extreme loyalty) is Larry Izzo by leaps and bounds.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Probably would be fine if we had a better run game coordinator than Morton. But the lack of balance was not particularly defensible in my eyes.

JPatera76

Reaction score
(Merged 2 threads on the same thing) ie Waldron interviewing with Chicago.

Not gunna help them.

Fade

Reaction score
Probably would be fine if we had a better run game coordinator than Morton. But the lack of balance was not particularly defensible in my eyes.
Hard to have balance when the defense is constantly failing. And can't get the ball back either.

His bigger sin was forgetting about the TEs for large stretches. And how he deployed JSN. Still a top 10 EPA Offense.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Shane is better than most realize. He was the best coach on the staff

He was #9 in EPA, with a bottom 5 O-Line, and mid-Geno at QB.

28th in possessions. (He never had the ball because the defense couldn't get off the field.)
Agree.

I don't get the Waldron hate here. Our offense wasn't even remotely the problem.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Shane Waldron designs great plays, I don’t think he could bring all of them to life. It maybe he is still growing as a coach but definitely on an upward trajectory. I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a HC in another 3 years.

hinton

Reaction score
Agree.

I don't get the Waldron hate here. Our offense wasn't even remotely the problem.
Our offense routinely disappeared for entire quarters and even halves at a time.

There were several games this year where we had an opening TD drive which looked surgical, then we'd barely get 3 first-downs until the 4th quarter.

The defense is the biggest problem by far, but there's way too much talent on offense for the garbage 3rd down numbers and sheer number of short-drives. We needed them to keep the D off the field for as long as possible.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Our offense routinely disappeared for entire quarters and even halves at a time.

There were several games this year where we had an opening TD drive which looked surgical, then we'd barely get 3 first-downs until the 4th quarter.

The defense is the biggest problem by far, but there's way too much talent on offense for the garbage 3rd down numbers and sheer number of short-drives. We needed them to keep the D off the field for as long as possible.
Yeah, but don't you want to see his offense without the so-called "meddling" from Pete we keep hearing about?