Super Bowl day Seahawks mock draft

Chevy

Reaction score
Seahawks trade down in the 1st round with the Raiders. Seahawks get the Raiders 1st and 2nd round picks.

1st round #8 (from Raiders) - (CB) Christian Gonzales 6'2" 201 lbs. Oregon: I know the Seahawks (John & Pete) have never drafted a CB in the first two rounds, but I think Gonzales is a special CB. Gonzales is the best CB in the draft and he has the size, length, and athleticism that fits the Seahawks mold at CB. He is day one ready to start and make an impact. Gonzales and Woolen will provide excellent coverage which will then allow our pass rushers more time to pressure/sack the QB.

1st round #20 - (NT/DT) Mazi Smith 6'3" 337 lbs. Michigan: Smith is a athletic freak at his size. He has the most upside of any of the NT/1-techs in the draft.

Ds2Fgetty images2F20172F072F1433649677 850x560

2nd round #37 - (DE/DT) Adetomiqa Adebawore 6'1" 280 lbs. Northwestern: Ade was a star in the Senior Bowl week. He is not the biggest defensive lineman, but he makes it up with great arm length and athleticism. He is disruptive in the passing and running game.

2nd round #44 (from Raiders) - (OC) John Michael Schmitz 6'4" 315 lbs. Minnesota: JMS is not a dominate OC or athlete for his position. But he has a lot of experience at the position. He is solid and should be a long-term starter with Pro Bowl potential at some point of his career.

Phers in position a picture id1283603463s612x612

2nd round #51 - (QB) Jake Haener 6'1" 200 lbs. Fresno State: Seahawks get their game manager. Haener throws with accuracy & timing, he has a quick release, and he keeps his eyes downfield when under pressure. If Pete and John really are confident that their offense makes QBs better, then I could see them selecting a QB in round 2 or 3.

3rd round #63 - (WR) Jake Bobo 6'5" 215 lbs. UCLA: BoBo was mainly a slot WR at UCLA and that is where he would play for the Seahawks. Bobo is a good route runner for his size. He looks to have decent speed and he has good hands. At 6'5" he provides a huge target in the slot for the QB.

4th round #122 - (OLB/DE) Thomas Incom 6'4" 265 lbs. Central Michigan: Incom has protype size and length for a 3-4 OLB. He will fit any defensive scheme. He has long arms, maybe 35-inch arms. Incom has good bend when turning the corner. He was productive his last season with 11.5 sacks and 18.5 TFLs. I could see him being a better NFL player than a few of the more highly touted 1st and 2nd round pass rushers.

5th round #153 - (ILB) SirVocea Dennis 6'1" 230 lbs. Pitt: Dennis is not the biggest LB, but he was very productive and looks like an above average athlete for his position. He had 94 tackles, 7 sacks, 12 TFLs, 1 Int, and 3 PBUs.

5th round #156 - (S) Kenderick Duncan 6'3" 220 lbs. Louisville: Duncan is a big Safety that can hit. He would have a chance to compete at SS if the Seahwaks move on from Jamal Adams.

R

6th round #197 - (OG) Caleb Chandler 6'4" 297 lbs. Louisville: Chandler is undersized and looks to have only 32-inch arms. But he moves well in space, and he plays to the echo of the whistle. He could be a steal this late in the draft. I highly recommend you watch his highlight!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Shawn Springs? Marcus Trufant? Terry Taylor? Kelly Jennings?
The current GM and Head Coach (past 12 or 13 years) have not drafted a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I think both Witherspoon and Gonzalez can have a bigger impact than Tyree Wilson, Lucas Van Ness, and Myles Murphy.

I like it!

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I think both Witherspoon and Gonzalez can have a bigger impact than Tyree Wilson, Lucas Van Ness, and Myles Murphy.

I like it!
I reallyyyyy like Wilson, but I'm not super confident that he would be a great fit at DE on a 3-4 defense. Van Ness and Murphy are 4-3 DE only prospects.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I reallyyyyy like Wilson, but I'm not super confident that he would be a great fit at DE on a 3-4 defense. Van Ness and Murphy are 4-3 DE only prospects.

I'm not sure Wilson is a fit either. He's not an elite pass rusher nor is he going to be able to anchor vs the run. I think his best fit is probably in a 4-3 as a 5T. He is around the same size as Aiden Hutchinson but doesn't really provide the same polish. He weighs more though.

There is a chance the Seahawks run more Bear Fronts on early downs next season. Then the 4-2-5 packages on other downs. If that's the case then I really don't see how Wilson fits that? I guess he can play the Mafe role but can he drop back?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Jake Haener? Really? We have the #5 pick in the draft, and we settle for Haener. No thanks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jake Haener? Really? We have the #5 pick in the draft, and we settle for Haener. No thanks.
I believe Young, Levis and Stroud will be gone by then.

My only complaint is I'd hope that they get more for a QB at the #5 pick

WarHawks

Reaction score
Probably so. If they are in love with one of them though, then perhaps they should trade up.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
If anything, trade down. If they like any of the likely top 5 of the 3 QBs, Carter or Anderson, take the one that's there. Otherwise, trade down. I'd rather look for another steal like Woolen than risk a flop that high.

That said, I love reading others' opinions than camping too much on my own.

I like Keion White, Calijah Kancey and Karl Brooks among the DL prospects. I just don't know what round. They're projected first couple of rounds.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I'm not sure Wilson is a fit either. He's not an elite pass rusher nor is he going to be able to anchor vs the run. I think his best fit is probably in a 4-3 as a 5T. He is around the same size as Aiden Hutchinson but doesn't really provide the same polish. He weighs more though.

There is a chance the Seahawks run more Bear Fronts on early downs next season. Then the 4-2-5 packages on other downs. If that's the case then I really don't see how Wilson fits that? I guess he can play the Mafe role but can he drop back?
Wilson has unique size and length for a DE. He is a bigger man than Hutchinson, in weight and arm length. If I were a Pete and John I would tell our defensive coordinator, d-line coach, and LB coach to study Wilson's game tape and how they would use him in our 3-4 defense. Then Pete and John could have more/or less confidence as how he would fit on our team.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
A few thoughts

i like Gonzales if drafting just for talent and if Hawks will be playing man on receivers if they will be zone it’s a waste of talent. All 3 of the top CBs are the same Witherspoon and Porter Jr. My 1st choice at #8 would be Richardson or Wilson

O line

Schmitz or Torrence Mazi Smith has very good physical skills but in games I watched he didn’t display a motor I would like prefer like Benton

not drafting Haener before the 5th rd
I have thought about the Bryce Young vs Bennett IV comparison. Young is definitely better but how much better. Both had comparable stats,, height and weight and played again top level competition. one will go in the top of the 1st rd the other 5th rd - UDFA

as far as the 2 rd picks
it could be anybody’s guess maybe a combination of o line, d line, safety and WR. We will know more after free agency

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
A few thoughts

i like Gonzales if drafting just for talent and if Hawks will be playing man on receivers if they will be zone it’s a waste of talent. All 3 of the top CBs are the same Witherspoon and Porter Jr. My 1st choice at #8 would be Richardson or Wilson

O line

Schmitz or Torrence Mazi Smith has very good physical skills but in games I watched he didn’t display a motor I would like prefer like Benton

not drafting Haener before the 5th rd
I have thought about the Bryce Young vs Bennett IV comparison. Young is definitely better but how much better. Both had comparable stats,, height and weight and played again top level competition. one will go in the top of the 1st rd the other 5th rd - UDFA

as far as the 2 rd picks
it could be anybody’s guess maybe a combination of o line, d line, safety and WR. We will know more after free agency
Seahawks LOB was at their best when in man press with Sherman and Browner at CB. Sherman used to say "man up stand up"...when taking pride in their man press scheme. I think Pete would like to get back to his CBs in man press, which Woolen and Gonzales are at their best.

Interior offensive lineman at #20 is a huge reach. Torrence is overrated and Schimtz is a good prospect but is not a 1st round talent.

I understand the Haener hate in the 2nd round. I liked Brock Purdy (from his game tape) fairly early in the draft process last year and was talked out of it (read others draft evaluations of Purdy). So yeah, 2nd round is a bit rich. But if we don't take a QB in the 1st round then Haener is the QB I would like to target at some point of the draft.