Stick with the 4-3 & Draft run stopping DTs!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Some of the most effective defenses in the NFL over the years have ran a 3-4 front. The front is NOT the issue right now. Hell, a lot of the time we don't even run the 3-4. We're running a lot of 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and we're also running some Bear fronts and some 4-3 fronts such as the 4-3 under. The fronts shift based on what the DC decides. We've actually tried a lot of things to no avail this season.

The main issue here is A. our Linebackers are not playing well. Barton has consistently been picking the wrong gap and misdiagnosing where the ball is going. He plays overly aggressive. He's gotten some big time plays, but he also gets gashed quite a bit. Brooks has also not been very good this season. Brooks doesn't know how to attack and if a defender gets one hand on him he is unable to shed.

Our linebackers are a net negative here. What is equally perplexing is that we're playing A LOT of 2-4-5 against teams that are coming out in heavy packages. This right here is most definitely a Clint Hurtt issue. This means we have only two down lineman and 4 linebackers on the field. This defense puts a HUGE responsibility on Barton and Brooks to attack gaps properly. This means they have to properly diagnose where the play is going and attack it. The only linebacker doing his job consistently is Uchenna Nwosu. Boye Mafe also shows promise, but he isn't on the field so much from what I've seen. I want to highlight Brooks in particular, despite his gaudy tackles stats, he has not been playing well. TOP BILLIN reiterated what i've been saying all along recently, Brooks is incapable of shedding blockers. You get one hand on him and he's done.

The D-Line is also problematic. The only two players that are doing their jobs are Al Woods and Shelby Harris. The rest have been absolutely awful. Even when Al Woods and Shelby Harris are out there we're getting gashed really bad. Our D-Line is devoid of talent and that is the real issue, combined with poor schematic choices for situations along with bad linebacker play and we've got a recipe for one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

On a side note, please get rid of Mone and Collier, ever play i've seen these two, they've been absolutely destroyed.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
AND...get us a REAL Center!! Ray Roberts said the reason our OLine is doing better this year is because we have players with a "Phd" at the position they are playing! STOP drafting and signing "multi-positional players!"

And ENOUGH with the Rashad Penny's and Dee Eskeridges! I see KC's 2nd round Center getting Pro Bowl votes and want to gouge my eyes out!

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Oh...and stop TRADING AWAY our picks! It NEVER works! Our best Center and a 1st round for a non-blocking Jimmy Graham that blew his knee out?

Percy Harvin 1st round pick, plus all that money for an "I'm hurt until we play the Vikings WR/KR?

I love Jamal Adams...but imagine if we would have had our 2022 1st round pick back...not to mention all that cap space, and an available player...

As far as I can remember, trading our 1st round picks away has cost us a ton of money for a player that then gets injured.

Remember Deion Branch? Super Bowl MVP...a 1st round pick, a ton of money, then blew his knee out. Was never that same.

So look at what happens when we trade away our players and let someone else give them a ton of money...Frank Clark, mediocre, been hurt, Russell Wilson, sucks, and hurt.

Seahawks: 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, players, and lots of cap space.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some of the most effective defenses in the NFL over the years have ran a 3-4 front. That's because they have the correct personal for a 3 - 4. We do not. Poona Ford and Shelby Harris? With nobody behind them?

The front is NOT the issue right now. Carolina Panthers. 108 rushing yards AFTER CONTACT.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle can add onto the great drafts streak, that began with the 2022 excellent class by NOT attempting to outsmart other teams and draft players that are proven players at their respective positions in college!

Imagine, drafting a Defensive Tackle to play Defensive Tackle, a Defensive End to play Defensive End, and Center to play Center, this is just so unheard of…this couldn’t work at all!!!!

Way past tired of these “Jack of all trade” offensive lineman that have no real single position, so they are said to be able to play a multitude of different positions, but they cannot play any single position well. There’s no point in having a player that cannot play any single position well because it would also mean they cannot play any other positions well either!

So stop drafting them!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Jalen Carter is a junior. Does anyone have an understanding of NIL and how it may impact players leaving college early vs. staying? According to this his estimated value for NIL is $893K. https://www.on3.com/db/jalen-carter-54194/nil/

Could there be a chance he returns to school or has he already declared for the 2023 draft?
Possible, of course.

I’m leaning towards, he’s already received his draft grade or have been told he would be a Top 5 pick.

How much does Top 5 players make now?

Assuming it’s more than $900k.

Seattle, retains this second pick overall, I gotta hope Seattle drafts Carter and does not trade down!

Polk738

Reaction score
Some of the most effective defenses in the NFL over the years have ran a 3-4 front. The front is NOT the issue right now. Hell, a lot of the time we don't even run the 3-4. We're running a lot of 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and we're also running some Bear fronts and some 4-3 fronts such as the 4-3 under. The fronts shift based on what the DC decides. We've actually tried a lot of things to no avail this season.

The main issue here is A. our Linebackers are not playing well. Barton has consistently been picking the wrong gap and misdiagnosing where the ball is going. He plays overly aggressive. He's gotten some big time plays, but he also gets gashed quite a bit. Brooks has also not been very good this season. Brooks doesn't know how to attack and if a defender gets one hand on him he is unable to shed.

Our linebackers are a net negative here. What is equally perplexing is that we're playing A LOT of 2-4-5 against teams that are coming out in heavy packages. This right here is most definitely a Clint Hurtt issue. This means we have only two down lineman and 4 linebackers on the field. This defense puts a HUGE responsibility on Barton and Brooks to attack gaps properly. This means they have to properly diagnose where the play is going and attack it. The only linebacker doing his job consistently is Uchenna Nwosu. Boye Mafe also shows promise, but he isn't on the field so much from what I've seen. I want to highlight Brooks in particular, despite his gaudy tackles stats, he has not been playing well. TOP BILLIN reiterated what i've been saying all along recently, Brooks is incapable of shedding blockers. You get one hand on him and he's done.

The D-Line is also problematic. The only two players that are doing their jobs are Al Woods and Shelby Harris. The rest have been absolutely awful. Even when Al Woods and Shelby Harris are out there we're getting gashed really bad. Our D-Line is devoid of talent and that is the real issue, combined with poor schematic choices for situations along with bad linebacker play and we've got a recipe for one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

On a side note, please get rid of Mone and Collier, ever play i've seen these two, they've been absolutely destroyed.

100% agree with everything you just said, You need some VERY stout and athletic DTs to be effective in that 2-4-5 alignment to stop the run, basically guys who demand double teams, nobody demands a double team on that line besides maybe Al Woods, that is why the LBs are getting blasted by guards, Mone, Jefferson, Collier and Ford are terrible in this scheme.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Possible, of course.

I’m leaning towards, he’s already received his draft grade or have been told he would be a Top 5 pick.

How much does Top 5 players make now?

Assuming it’s more than $900k.

Seattle, retains this second pick overall, I gotta hope Seattle drafts Carter and does not trade down!
Totally agree. Carter (imo) is far and away the best player in this draft. But I doubt we land him. Chicago also covets him and that puts Houston in a very good spot. I don't think many, if any, would believe Seattle will use the 2nd overall on a QB. I sure hope we don't and Chicago feels like Fields is their guy (!) so they're not going after a QB so high either.

So Houston should attempt to instigate a bidding war between Seattle and Chicago for the rights to move up to 1 and in doing so, Houston would still get their QB at 2 or 3. But moving up just 1 or 2 spots will cost a lot. Way more than Pete and John will want to sacrifice, I'm sure.
I'm not crazy about Stroud or Young but I'm sure they'll be the first QBs off the board. With that, Philly would also love Carter and the Texans could really clean up switching spots with them. That would put Houston behind only Detroit as far as teams that might go QB in the first several picks. Houston needs more than a QB and they should be on the phones night and day with Philly, best case and Chicago worst case. If Houston does not manage to trade down we will know they are as messed up as ever, but I do expect to hear Jalen Carter's name called first.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I hope that somebody is as desperate as the 49ers were for Trey Lance.

I really like Jalen Carter, but 3 each 1st round picks? Yes plz!

The 49ers made a blockbuster trade to move up 9 spots in the draft.

The 49ers traded:
2021 12th-overall pick
2022 1st and 3rd round pick
2023 1st round pick

For: Miami Dolphins 2021 No. 3 overall selection.