Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

knownone

Reaction score
This is a tough one to swallow. We we're the better team, and we fell just short.

In the end, Donovan gets the send off he doesn't deserve and the Sounders once again find themselves on the outside looking in.

It's been a fun year guys.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Question... How long have they used this current playoff format?

I know they had a play-in game (1 game).

Then a round with aggregate (2 games).

Then a Conference Championship (1 game).

Then an MLS Championship (1 game).

Now it's 1 WC, 2 rounds of aggregate (with away goals worth more incase of a tie) and then a single MLS Championship game, right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sammyc521":2sypxi09 said:
Question... How long have they used this current playoff format?

I know they had a play-in game (1 game).

Then a round with aggregate (2 games).

Then a Conference Championship (1 game).

Then an MLS Championship (1 game).

Now it's 1 WC, 2 rounds of aggregate (with away goals worth more incase of a tie) and then a single MLS Championship game, right?

The play in game is relatively new, since 2011 I think.........and good news 2 more teams to be added to the already watered down format next year!

I know the aggregate score bit us in the ass last night, but go anywhere in the world that has a round robin playoff type format (Champions League, etc), and aggregate goals are used with away goals counting for more. So while it sucks for us, I'm OK with that.

BUT, I don't like this many teams in the playoffs, should be just the top two, or 4 at the most. None of this play in nonsense. I understand why Garber likes it, cause it makes for more teams in the hunt in September and October, and thus more fan interest. But IMO it cheapens an already shaky premise of soccer having playoffs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2wzsyf6k said:
253hawk":2wzsyf6k said:
MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.
I can't disagree with this.

so does UEFA?

come on... the playoff format is used by the worlds biggest annual soccer "tournament", and heartily enjoyed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Won the match, lost the series. Didn't like this method of tiebreaking from the beginning. Another season where Sounders championship hopes fell short.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ufzd641n said:
MizzouHawkGal":ufzd641n said:
253hawk":ufzd641n said:

so does UEFA?

come on... the playoff format is used by the worlds biggest annual soccer "tournament", and heartily enjoyed.
I don't care it's a stupid method. Aggregate goal should mean just that no qualifiers. And if you're tied you go with an extra period and penalty kicks if needed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3pj8nocz said:
Uncle Si":3pj8nocz said:
MizzouHawkGal":3pj8nocz said:
253hawk":3pj8nocz said:

so does UEFA?

I don't care it's a stupid method. Aggregate goal should mean just that no qualifiers. And if you're tied you go with an extra period and penalty kicks if needed.

I hate penalty kicks, it's by far the worst part of deciding soccer matches. IMO it's the same as a basketball game being decided by free throws.

I'm just fine with aggregate for this sort of format. Two matches is plenty of minutes to score more goals than the other team.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
MLS is it's own league. There's no reason why it has to follow the rest of the world. The Away goal rule is the dumbest system in the world, as said above.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1silg9ej said:
I hate penalty kicks, it's by far the worst part of deciding soccer matches. IMO it's the same as a basketball game being decided by free throws.

I'm just fine with aggregate for this sort of format. Two matches is plenty of minutes to score more goals than the other team.

That's precisely the point for the argument...none of the teams scored more goals other team. LA scored 2 goals and so did Seattle. Dallas scored 1 goal and so did Seattle. However the winning team scored an "away" goal. The weight of an away goal is more than a home goal. That's what is ridiculous. A goal is a goal whether it be home or away. That's why I hate the rule. I can understand having it in the first round or second round but definitely not in a championship series (which this was).

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Happens. We lost.

We knew the format, we knew the rules. Didn't get the job done.

Its ok.

Still best sounders season on record.

Have some roster spots to fill (replacing Yedlin), and some new money to spend.

On to next year, and time to try to take on CCL again.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This new tiebreaker is BS. It rewards teams that play stifling defense and score on fast breaks. ie, weaker teams. In the World Cup, that's the strategy the weaker teams employ to grab cheap wins off the better teams. LA just had to play at home to a 0-0 draw and if they got a cheap goal on a fast break, then gravy. They couldn't afford to play that way under the old system.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2qtotxtl said:
Sgt. Largent":2qtotxtl said:

That's precisely the point for the argument...none of the teams scored more goals other team. LA scored 2 goals and so did Seattle. Dallas scored 1 goal and so did Seattle. However the winning team scored an "away" goal. The weight of an away goal is more than a home goal. That's what is ridiculous. A goal is a goal whether it be home or away. That's why I hate the rule. I can understand having it in the first round or second round but definitely not in a championship series (which this was).

That's why I said "more" goals.

This is how every league and tournament in the world is decided that uses a knockout format. One match to decide it all? Yeah, extra time and PK's. But multiple match format? Aggregate + away goal weight.

How is this any less fair that something as stupid as PK's? You see it all the time in the World Cup when inferior teams have a chance to advance, they bunker down and hope for PK's because they know that's the best chance of beating a superior team.

So it doesn't matter the format, there's still strategy involved in how you play. There is no perfect format other than letting the two teams play until their legs fall off.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
This years playoffs were much more open attacking soccer across the board. Away goals gives incentive for away teams to push forward...in years past the away teams bunker....and bunker...and bunker....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1y94ka1v said:
Uncle Si":1y94ka1v said:
MizzouHawkGal":1y94ka1v said:
253hawk":1y94ka1v said:

so does UEFA?

you miss the point of aggregate I think. its trying to avoid something like penalty kicks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":32v4cczw said:
you miss the point of aggregate I think. its trying to avoid something like penalty kicks.

Yep.

Ask any owner, manager or player and they loathe PK's, they'd much rather settle it on the field either with extra time or aggregate score.

Like I said, 180 minutes plus extra time is plenty of time to win a series. Saying you'd rather see a series settled by PK's, which is the most random resolution possible makes no sense to me.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
For those complaining...it could be worse. Before penalties it used to be decided by toss of a coin. Celtic beat Benfica after tieing 3-3 over two legs and extra time with this method in 1969. Celtic complained about the method to UEFA even though they won and UEFA changed to PK's not long after.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The reason the away tiebreaker is stupid is where it's implemented. If it was a tie with the away goals. Then they would have played extra time. So why not play extra time first, then if still a tie go the tiebreaker? Considering the time between matches, there's no reason to do away with extra time. I can understand moving away from PK. But I don't agree with eliminating the extra period. I didn't like it when the Sounders benefitted from it against Dallas. I think it's dumb and a bad decision on MLS part to add it. The rule was made in the 50s or 60s....it's now outdated.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
It would be great if they just keep playing until someone scores. That would really be fun to watch.

Latest posts