Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1we94nga said:
SeatownJay":1we94nga said:
Pappa is better than Pineda.

In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.

Sounds great, until you realize that there are only twenty teams. This selection is the equivalent of thee opportunity to select between a corn syrup Coke and a cane sugar Pepsi from Mexico.

Looking at Chivas USA roster, there's not much to begin with. Erick Torres is probably the only one that could be promising but he'll be long gone before the Sounders pick.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
hawkfan68":109ktsxr said:
CurryStopstheRuns":109ktsxr said:
SeatownJay":109ktsxr said:

In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.

Sounds great, until you realize that there are only twenty teams. This selection is the equivalent of thee opportunity to select between a corn syrup Coke and a cane sugar Pepsi from Mexico.

Looking at Chivas USA roster, there's not much to begin with. Erick Torres is probably the only one that could be promising but he'll be long gone before the Sounders pick.

He is exempt from the distribution draft.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":12qmyxze said:

Apples and Oranges really. We are a better team with Pineda in the team, than out of it. Pappa, sometimes we are better, sometimes we aren't. Both good players. Happy both are sounders. Pineda i think is more important to the teams success.

and nothing we want from Chivas. Only two players i'd consider really. Cubo Torres (exempt) and Dan Kennedy (top 2 pick).

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle loses the first leg 1-0. They'll have to win next weekend by two goals to advance to their first MLS Cup.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":spb14q0s said:
Seattle loses the first leg 1-0. They'll have to win next weekend by two goals to advance to their first MLS Cup.

Well...sort of.

1-0 gets us to extra time, potentially penalties.

2-0 Gets us a win

3-1 gets a us a win.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Huge improvement from the past.

Didn't leak in 3-5 goals in leg one.....so I'm relatively happy. Still have everything to play for.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":k4khvdna said:

Didn't leak in 3-5 goals in leg one.....so I'm relatively happy. Still have everything to play for.

Huge improvement? in the sense LA missed their bevy of chances? Felt like Seattle was chasing the game all day (and only barely caught it at times). being down 1-0, not bad, but the performance was disappointing.

The game went virtually the same as all the other games with LA, except this time LA finished and Seattle did not. the issue now is how does a team set up to break on the counter get goals against a team that is already up a goal. Will LA change their tact, maintain possession but not throw people forward? hard to say, but if Seattle cant coax LA into coming forward, I'm not sure how Seattle creates scoring chances.

Despite it being a one goal advantage, the return leg is squarely in LA's pocket unless the Sounders can disrupt possession (high press Sigi? maybe just a bit?) and pin LA back.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4le5yo6g said:
Smurf":4le5yo6g said:

Huge improvement? in the sense LA missed their bevy of chances? Felt like Seattle was chasing the game all day (and only barely caught it at times). being down 1-0, not bad, but the performance was disappointing.

The game went virtually the same as all the other games with LA, except this time LA finished and Seattle did not. the issue now is how does a team set up to break on the counter get goals against a team that is already up a goal. Will LA change their tact, maintain possession but not throw people forward? hard to say, but if Seattle cant coax LA into coming forward, I'm not sure how Seattle creates scoring chances.

Despite it being a one goal advantage, the return leg is squarely in LA's pocket unless the Sounders can disrupt possession (high press Sigi? maybe just a bit?) and pin LA back.

I was referring to the sounders playoff history in First Leg's.....We arent down 3+goals after game 1. That is a huge improvement. We didn't play our best. We were barely decent. But when things don't go your way and you only concede one goal (via deflection), I guess I'll take it.

Alonso will be back for the home leg and his ability gives us more chance to go forward. He covers the wide channels where Azira and Rose rarely do.

Disappointed in Yedlin today. Picked good times to go forward, just was very sloppy with the ball....actually in general we werent very crisp going forward.

I'm not too concerned about the home leg. I think we press, and we get our goal we need fairly early (20-30 min in) and that will force LA to come out of their shell a little bit more. I think Bruce knows that they need to get that away goal. Until LA gets an away goal its going to get very nervy for them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I knew what you were referring to (just found it an odd thing to take solace in).

I will be interested to see what Arenas does. I dont see them going into a shell (why would a team that out possesses its opponents to such a degree suddenly go into a shell). What you may see, however, is less committed players in the attack as the possession builds, limiting any transition and counter breaks the Sounders get (and rely on when playing LA).

Sigi will have to employ a heavy press, maybe not early, but at some point, and committ his wing backs to it. There are two very good CBs back there and they may be the key to whether Seattle advances.

For me, given the way Seattle has played LA (despite the wins) I am very concerned. Seattle has always benefitted from catching LA with numbers up. That initiative is gone now.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Chad Marshall has won the 2014 MLS Defender of the Year award.

He is the first player to ever win the award 3 times.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I apologize for the knuckle-dragging level of my question here, but tonight may well be only the second or third Sounders game I've watched on TV. My understanding is that, since they lost 1-0 on the road, that 'winning' 1-0 at home would essentially mean a tie in the series, i.e., extra time/penalties? And they need to win by 2 to win outright?

And that if they 'win' 2-1 they would actually lose due to away goals? Is that right?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
jkitsune":xu23j8uu said:
I apologize for the knuckle-dragging level of my question here, but tonight may well be only the second or third Sounders game I've watched on TV. My understanding is that, since they lost 1-0 on the road, that 'winning' 1-0 at home would essentially mean a tie in the series, i.e., extra time/penalties? And they need to win by 2 to win outright?

And that if they 'win' 2-1 they would actually lose due to away goals? Is that right?

$$$$$

253hawk

Reaction score
MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.

korboko

Reaction score
This is why scoring in LA was important. You tie that game, and win this game.... Seattle would of got in the MLS Cup.

jkitsune

Reaction score
korboko":pfsw2cxw said:
This is why scoring in LA was important. You tie that game, and win this game.... Seattle would of got in the MLS Cup.

Even losing 2-1 would've made winning 2-1 a tie with extra time.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
How does it make sense that LA advances by winning 1 game, and the Sounders scored 2-1 in second game but lost? At least play OT!

253hawk

Reaction score
Somethingsomething hurfdurf away goals because they are magical like unicorn farts.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Rules are rules. We benefited from the same rule against Dallas. It's used all over the world and encourages teams to attack. It sucks when losing on that rule but we needed that third goal, even at 2-0. Everyone player knew it. Thought we played well but LA's goal was a good finish. Great year regardless.

Latest posts