Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

hawkfan68

Reaction score
razgriz737":2kbpedft said:
That's not the proper way though. As I said in my previous post, the away goals rule is used in major tournaments the world over. This was the proper way.

I'm voicing my opinion only....In my opinion it's not. I don't like that rule. There is no need for a rule like that when you have 7-10 days between matches. I don't like copying everything because it's done everywhere else - they're not playing in Europe. MLS is not like UEFA, etc nor should it be. You disagree with my opinion. That's fine. I respect your opinion. It's all good. Go Sounders.

It seems Sepp Blatter may not be too fond of the rule either -
http://www.soccernews.com/blatter-wants-away-goals-rule-reviewed/156887/

razgriz737

Reaction score
Fair enough. Sorry if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat, that was not my intention at all.

Go Sounders.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
razgriz737":7ag6jfco said:
Fair enough. Sorry if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat, that was not my intention at all.

Go Sounders.

No apologies necessary. We're just having a discussion and differing points of view. You're right the away goals is the proper rule and it's used in majority of the leagues around the world. In that sense it is the right way.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":e3lq7oqx said:
hawkfan68":e3lq7oqx said:

Except Blatter is saying that the away goal rule favors the team that travels last. In that case the rule would have favored Dallas.

I agree with him. It does favor the second leg away team. Dallas didn't capitalize on that advantage. I still believe that they could have played extra time and then used the away goals rule should it still be tied. That would have made more sense. It's not like the players don't have enough time to recover before the next game. If that's the issue to use this rule in the first place. That's where I'm coming from. Why did they decide to use the rule is what I'm questioning. What spurred this? Just because everyoone else does it, is that the only reason?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1shqh3f6 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1shqh3f6 said:
hawkfan68":1shqh3f6 said:

Except Blatter is saying that the away goal rule favors the team that travels last. In that case the rule would have favored Dallas.

I agree with him. It does favor the second leg away team. Dallas didn't capitalize on that advantage. I still believe that they could have played extra time and then used the away goals rule should it still be tied. That would have made more sense. It's not like the players don't have enough time to recover before the next game. If that's the issue to use this rule in the first place. That's where I'm coming from. Why did they decide to use the rule is what I'm questioning. What spurred this? Just because everyoone else does it, is that the only reason?

We all now Blatter's word should be the final in any conversation....

Id suggest it is to mimic the other major tournaments that use it, or, to be fair, Champions league is the only major tournament in which it has any major, noticeable impact. And thats only in the final 16. Some League Cups (La Liga's, PL's Cap One) use it in the semis.

My point was that I dont feel the quality of the MLS is such that the away goal rule needs to be implemented. However, the extra time rule also gives the second leg home team a 30 minute longer advantage. Many league tournaments do not count away goals (Cap One cup for example) in extra time as having more weight. Preferably, there should be no extra time in home and homes as

Point is, there are options. The MLS made their decision, so be it. I'm with you, I really didnt see any noticeable opening up of tournament play due to the new rules. if anything, Dallas, for example, was quite shy at home. This had less to do with tactics and more to do with just not being good. it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the semis.

the next fixtures should lend a better perspective. LA is a better team than Seattle. They've got more talent, balance and are coached better. (this cant be a shock to anyone on here). It will be interesting then to see how Seattle goes about it. Their last match at LA may be the template (sit, wait, counter). if it opens the other way, Seattle needs to be wary of conceding an away goal to a dangerous, attacking team. This tie will make the away goal rule far more interesting.

razgriz737

Reaction score
"Sounders FC 2 Names Ezra Hendrickson First Head Coach in Team History"

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2014/11/ ... am-history

Seattle Sounders FC today announced that Ezra Hendrickson has been named the first Head Coach of Sounders FC 2, the club’s USL PRO team. Hendrickson has spent the last six seasons as a Sounders FC Assistant Coach and Reserve League Head Coach following a 14-year professional playing career.
“After six years of experience with the organization, Ezra has earned the respect of the players and has gotten to know our Academy very well,” said S2 General Manager Andrew Opatkiewicz. “His years with the First Team will prove to be a huge asset as we look to develop a team that gives players valuable minutes in a professional environment.”
An NCAA All-American and business administration major at Drake University in Iowa, Hendrickson first played professionally with New Orleans of the USISL Select League (1995-96). A native of the island of St. Vincent in the Caribbean, Hendrickson earned his first international cap in 1995 and served 12 years as captain of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines national team.

141113Hendrickson1000.jpg

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Congrats to Ezra H. Surprised they passed over Brian Schmetzer but maybe they have bigger plans for him. Brian is a good coach, I'd like to see the Sounders offer him the head coaching gig post-Sigi (whenever that happens), hopefully they don't lose Brian before then.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1eulxent said:
Congrats to Ezra H. Surprised they passed over Brian Schmetzer but maybe they have bigger plans for him. Brian is a good coach, I'd like to see the Sounders offer him the head coaching gig post-Sigi (whenever that happens), hopefully they don't lose Brian before then.

Schmetzer is waiting for an MLS gig to open up. He is content being second in command of SSFC while this happens. He has had interviews each offseason with clubs waiting for the right opportunity.

When Sigi leaves/retires I would think Schmetzer would be our new manager.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bqjtwc8 said:
the next fixtures should lend a better perspective. LA is a better team than Seattle. They've got more talent, balance and are coached better. (this cant be a shock to anyone on here). It will be interesting then to see how Seattle goes about it. Their last match at LA may be the template (sit, wait, counter). if it opens the other way, Seattle needs to be wary of conceding an away goal to a dangerous, attacking team. This tie will make the away goal rule far more interesting.

Better coached. Probably (history has proven).

Better balance. Absolutely. Our brand of soccer is one to entertain and attack. We are an attacking team. Hell, we have people upset because we chose to bunker the final 3 minutes of a match of a series we were already going to win if the scores stayed the same.

More Talented.....Disagree. I think you run down the list of players and our team is equally talented, if not more so.

Right now we are the better team. Standings prove it. We proved it twice in the final 2 games of the regular season. We just have to do it twice more. I am confident that we will. It will be hard, all games against top sides are....but we are the better team right now. Maybe not historically. But right now, we are better. We have two pieces of silverware to prove it, and are looking to be the first club in MLS to win the Treble.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Im not saying Seattle is the underdog here. Tactics will play a major role in how this tie plays out. but that last game of the season LA was by far the dominant team, just couldnt make their chances count. The Sounders first goal in the 85th minute was their first shot on frame. Its not historical. It may be one of those things that Seattle is set up to beat LA, even if they are not as talented

For my money LA looks the better side. Results may play out differently. They are stronger across the board at each level of play. Maybe not position to position, but from the back to mid to attack (mid may be a wash).

If the Sounders are going to prevail they will need to hit on their counters. they cannot be as wasteful as they were with Dallas

quick activity (i do this when evaluating my teams against opponents)... if you put the two rosters together and ranked 1-5, how does it go? is Dempsey 1? or maybe Gonzalez?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
If they can beat LA the last two games, then I have no doubt that they can win again. They already know LA's tactics.

If there's one area of concern it's Seattle's defenders. They didn't allow a score but I think they allowed too many opportunities. Key to advancing to the championship is limiting LA's shot creation IMO

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2ytxcb57 said:
If they can beat LA the last two games, then I have no doubt that they can win again. They already know LA's tactics.

If there's one area of concern it's Seattle's defenders. They didn't allow a score but I think they allowed too many opportunities. Key to advancing to the championship is limiting LA's shot creation IMO

absolutely... when you permit the opposing team possession and do not force their time on the ball until it comes into the middle third, you have to win it or force it to support before they can move their pieces into strong attacking positions (this is basically the blue print on beating Barcelona from 2012-present, not that LA is anywhere near that level or that similar in tactics).

Seattle seemed set on allowing LA to move forward, slowly, condenscing the field and hoping to hit on the counter. Which they did. But if they give as many opportunities to LA again, I'm not so sure it wont bite them. I'd like to see the Sounders press a little higher up the field, limit Donovan and Keane's touches on the ball in their attacking 3rd.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, but I really disagree with your based on from each group LA being a more talented team. I'll give you the backline, but mid and fwd are at least a wash, if not better. Thats an argument.

For me, if you rank the players on both rosters.

1. Marshall
2. Martins
3. Keane
4. Dempsey
5. Gonzalez
6. Alonso
7. Donovan
8. Juninho
9. Zardes
10. Pineda

Honestly Chad Marshall has got to be the front runner for Defender of the year. Martins and Keane are interchangeable. The MVP race is between those two and Lee Nguyen. The top 3 are definitely Marshall, Keane and Martins. Order is up for debate. Everyone else kind of falls in after them. All of this, of course, is based on their play this season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":20c5hg53 said:
I see where you're coming from, but I really disagree with your based on from each group LA being a more talented team. I'll give you the backline, but mid and fwd are at least a wash, if not better. Thats an argument.

1. Marshall
2. Martins
3. Keane
4. Dempsey
5. Gonzalez
6. Alonso
7. Donovan
8. Juninho
9. Zardes
10. Pineda

Honestly Chad Marshall has got to be the front runner for Defender of the year. Martins and Keane are interchangeable. The MVP race is between those two and Lee Nguyen. The top 3 are definitely Marshall, Keane and Martins. Order is up for debate. Everyone else kind of falls in after them. All of this, of course, is based on their play this season.

Interesting list, and no Yedlin, which suprises me. I wouldnt have brought Marshall into the top 5 (and I'm a defender by trade) and probably had Gonzales at the top. Either way, its an enjoyable exercise when comparing teams (and in the end, means f--- all.)

Im not suggesting the two sides are far apart. I feel LA's backline is a step above in organization, consistency and talent. But... they dont have a player like Yedlin (and from what I've watched, which admittedly isnt a ton, dont feel comfortable allowing their backs to join the attack. But honestly, Sigi really hamstrings Yedlin as well in my opinion).

I can agree on a wash in the middle and attack. I think both groups lean a bit more to LA, but maybe its more on the experience those players bring (especially in midfield). I feel like Seattle's midfield 4 is set up to defend more than play both ways. in the games I've watched of late they sit further back than i'd like and tend to leave Martins and Dempsey isolated (which isnt bad, both are proven internationals and goal scorers). but over the course of two ties, Seattle will need their midfielders to help support the attack with more consistency than I saw against Dallas. And maybe this is why i give the edge to LA, i just like their setup/balance better.

Again, though, the matchups are significant. the Sounders may be LA's cryptonite (like how Atletico is Barca's). Will be an interesting tie.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3mq9zx1m said:
Smurf":3mq9zx1m said:

1. Marshall
2. Martins
3. Keane
4. Dempsey
5. Gonzalez
6. Alonso
7. Donovan
8. Juninho
9. Zardes
10. Pineda

Interesting list, and no Yedlin, which suprises me. I wouldnt have brought Marshall into the top 5 (and I'm a defender by trade) and probably had Gonzales at the top. Either way, its an enjoyable exercise when comparing teams (and in the end, means f--- all.)

Im not suggesting the two sides are far apart. I feel LA's backline is a step above in organization, consistency and talent. But... they dont have a player like Yedlin (and from what I've watched, which admittedly isnt a ton, dont feel comfortable allowing their backs to join the attack. But honestly, Sigi really hamstrings Yedlin as well in my opinion).

I can agree on a wash in the middle and attack. I think both groups lean a bit more to LA, but maybe its more on the experience those players bring (especially in midfield). I feel like Seattle's midfield 4 is set up to defend more than play both ways. in the games I've watched of late they sit further back than i'd like and tend to leave Martins and Dempsey isolated (which isnt bad, both are proven internationals and goal scorers). but over the course of two ties, Seattle will need their midfielders to help support the attack with more consistency than I saw against Dallas. And maybe this is why i give the edge to LA, i just like their setup/balance better.

Again, though, the matchups are significant. the Sounders may be LA's cryptonite (like how Atletico is Barca's). Will be an interesting tie.

Holy christ I completely forgot about Yedlin....

I need to get more sleep...

Also, this tie depends largely on the availability of Osvaldo Alonso. If he is out its going to be a very different game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders-Galaxy matches don't start until Nov 23. Why such a long wait between matches? Hopefully, that time helps Alonso get back.

Smurf, you also forgot Pappa on your list. I thought he was a key player this season as well. Started off slow but did a lot of good things as the season went on.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":p8obhtq2 said:
Sounders-Galaxy matches don't start until Nov 23. Why such a long wait between matches? Hopefully, that time helps Alonso get back.

Smurf, you also forgot Pappa on your list. I thought he was a key player this season as well. Started off slow but did a lot of good things as the season went on.

MLS is actually acknowledging a FIFA designated international break. Thus the reason why there aren't any EPL games this weekend. Thats why there is a break.

Good timing for us with the Alonso injury.

As for Pappa, not really sure he is better than those 10. Maybe in the conversation, but there is merit to it.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Pappa is better than Pineda.

In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":mtmhuff8 said:
Pappa is better than Pineda.

In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.

Sounds great, until you realize that there are only twenty teams. This selection is the equivalent of the opportunity to select between a corn syrup Coke and a cane sugar Pepsi from Mexico.

Edit: Olde English