So...Our base defense is a 2-4 this year?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I've just finished reviewing my recordings of the preseason games and the Hawks were primarily running a 2-4 with an NT and a 3-Tech on the strong side. With the OLBs on the line, it looks more like a 4-2. I don't have access to all 22 so I'm assuming the extra DB is a Safety, but that may change if they decide Witherspoon will take the slot receiver. I guess this will be our base defense this year. An interesting decision to have 6 in the box for our base D, especially for a team that couldn't stop the run last year.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Bend don’t break and build a lead it would seem, Pete likes to win the game in the 4th quarter…

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I've just finished reviewing my recordings of the preseason games and the Hawks were primarily running a 2-4 with an NT and a 3-Tech on the strong side. With the OLBs on the line, it looks more like a 4-2. I don't have access to all 22 so I'm assuming the extra DB is a Safety, but that may change if they decide Witherspoon will take the slot receiver. I guess this will be our base defense this year. An interesting decision to have 6 in the box for our base D, especially for a team that couldn't stop the run last year.
It makes sense because most offenses are 3 WRs based.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Most of the league, including the Hawks have shifted towards the Eagles/Gannon/Fangio defense.

Which is all predicated on not being a traditional 3-4, or a 4-3. Which is the point. Be an ever fluid disguisable unpredictable dynamic attacking style of defense.

Now do we have the personnel to pull it off? Eh, that's TBD. But certainly exchanging JAG's like Poona and Woods for hopefully more versatile playmakers like Jones and Reed, as well as Bobby back to direct it all should prove a much improved defense.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
One thing it does do is reduce the number of DT on the field, which is one of our weaker units in terms of depth.

keasley45

Reaction score
Most of the league, including the Hawks have shifted towards the Eagles/Gannon/Fangio defense.

Which is all predicated on not being a traditional 3-4, or a 4-3. Which is the point. Be an ever fluid disguisable unpredictable dynamic attacking style of defense.

Now do we have the personnel to pull it off? Eh, that's TBD. But certainly exchanging JAG's like Poona and Woods for hopefully more versatile playmakers like Jones and Reed, as well as Bobby back to direct it all should prove a much improved defense.
THIS^^^

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
One thing it does do is reduce the number of DT on the field, which is one of our weaker units in terms of depth.

If you've watched the Eagles D-line over the past couple of years, they've also gone away from the need for massive war daddies in the middle, and moved to versatile tackles and ends that can penetrate and disrupt............rather than just maintain or try to move the line of scrimmage guys.

I think that's what Pete and Hurtt are trying to do with the influx of disruptors, vs move the line of scrimmage guys. More Michael Bennetts, less Al Woods and Poona Fords.

We'll see, I like the guys we drafted, and I like both Jones and Reed. But that's so thin for depth. I sure hope we pick up a couple more interior guys after cutdowns this week.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

Exactly. What makes Pete such a great coach has been his ability to evolve with the game by implementing different sets. The 4/5-2 front is a prime example. Better personnel….Bobby, Jarran, Dre’Mont, Spoon will make the transition seamless.

Polk738

Reaction score

This would explain why Jarran Reed has moved to NT but not in a traditional 2 gapping way, he is more of a disruptive single gapping NT-it's why they moved on from Woods and Poona, they don't fit the new scheme.

Scout

Reaction score
You are going to see 5-6 players on the line. And a lot of times maybe only 2 players in a three point stance. That keeps defenses guessing but also allows for some creative fire zone blitzes to defeat short crossers and slants.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
You are going to see 5-6 players on the line. And a lot of times maybe only 2 players in a three point stance. That keeps defenses guessing but also allows for some creative fire zone blitzes to defeat short crossers and slants.
I agree. But to me, the real key for this to work is a healthy Jamal Adams. He's the one that can blitz, play in the box, or play the robber position to deal with the underneath crossers.

AgentDib

Reaction score
"Multiple" defenses tend to have less beef inside because the 270lb guys provide more versatility. Defending the run is still possible but it takes good DL play along with OLBs who can contain the edge.

We've addressed the second problem pretty well with Mafe taking a step forward in his second year, Hall as a backup who can stop the run, and Taylor showing some improvement over the course of last season.

We've also addressed the first problem on paper and I'm expecting Jones and Reed to do well as the starters. However, we're also limited a bit to kick off the season due to Young and Morris both being banged up. Edwards will likely be getting a bit more playtime then we'd like, and I suspect we could see Gotel and Bell elevated for week 1 as a bit of a late curveball for McVay. Right now, I think we're still one DL short from having the kind of rotation Pete would like. I'm hopeful the result is that the defensive front is an average spot in an overall good defense this year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawk fans are obsessed with 3-4 and 4-3. Years ago it was a thing, you ran what you ran. No defense is that hard coded anymore. Have to adapt to wide open offenses and a myriad of formations. Mafe and and Nwosu (and Taylor and Smith) are just DEs they call OLBs that drop in coverage sometimes, but they are still pretty much cliff Avril and Chris Clemons, even the same size.

Fade

Reaction score
If you've watched the Eagles D-line over the past couple of years, they've also gone away from the need for massive war daddies in the middle, and moved to versatile tackles and ends that can penetrate and disrupt............rather than just maintain or try to move the line of scrimmage guys.

I think that's what Pete and Hurtt are trying to do with the influx of disruptors, vs move the line of scrimmage guys. More Michael Bennetts, less Al Woods and Poona Fords.

We'll see, I like the guys we drafted, and I like both Jones and Reed. But that's so thin for depth. I sure hope we pick up a couple more interior guys after cutdowns this week.
Why did they draft 336 lb Jordan Davis in the 1st round last year? 315 lb Carter this year?

The Eagles still prioritize the big guys in the middle, clearly. Back 2 back 1st rd picks on just that.

Fade

Reaction score
Hawk fans are obsessed with 3-4 and 4-3. Years ago it was a thing, you ran what you ran. No defense is that hard coded anymore. Have to adapt to wide open offenses and a myriad of formations. Mafe and and Nwosu (and Taylor and Smith) are just DEs they call OLBs that drop in coverage sometimes, but they are still pretty much cliff Avril and Chris Clemons, even the same size.
Agreed, it's annoying to consistently hear and read.

the 2-4 is really a 4-2, AKA nickel.

In 2013 in nickel, you'd usually have Avril and Clemons at the ends with McDonald and Bennett on the inside. No one ever called that a 2-4.

In 2023 it will be Mafe and Nwosu at the ends with Dre Jones and J.Reed on the inside. Now they are calling it a 2-4 for some reason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why did they draft 336 lb Jordan Davis in the 1st round last year? 315 lb Carter this year?

The Eagles still prioritize the big guys in the middle, clearly. Back 2 back 1st rd picks on just that.

We've got what, 3-4 defensive lineman that weight 300+.

It's not just weight, it's about their style of play and versatility. Thus why guys like Poona and Woods are gone, those are anchor hold the line of scrimmage guys, not athletic penetrators. That's my point.

Fade

Reaction score
We've got what, 3-4 defensive lineman that weight 300+.

It's not just weight, it's about their style of play and versatility. Thus why guys like Poona and Woods are gone, those are anchor hold the line of scrimmage guys, not athletic penetrators. That's my point.
Poona was/is the opposite of a anchor/hold the LoS. Poona's 1 gap penetrating 1-Tech. He is too small to be a 2 gap player and anchor, and is why he sucked last year when they moved him from 1-Tech to 4i.

Jordan Davis is a huge NT, he doesn't play anywhere else. He isn't moving up and down the LoS. On passing downs he is coming off the field where they will rush Cox and Carter. They still drafted him in the 1st round even though they supposedly moved away from that. Carter is as versatile as any other pass rushing 3-Tech. Like Warren Sapp, you could play him anywhere on the LoS, but his best spot is 3-Tech.

The "ever fluid disguisable unpredictable dynamic attacking style of defense" comment was a riot as well. It's called nickel, everyone in the league has a nickel package. Ha-ha.