Shotty and Russ same page?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Like the title says, are Russ and Shotty clicking now? Seems like the game is being called to Russ' strengths. Or is he calling it himself?!?!

sutz

Reaction score
There have been a couple of interviews where this seems to be the case. If you check back a few days, there are some video interviews with Schotty and Russ where they discuss this very thing. Schotty even said something like, "I say a couple of words to start the play call and Russ waves me off because he knows right away where I'm going." Not a direct quote, but pretty close.

Yeah, now in their 2d year working together, I'd say they are developing a rapport that wasn't there last year.

You might want to scroll back and take a listen. Or go over to seahawks.com. They should be archived over there.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yes they are, and they have been since last year.

But it is a whole another level.

I do resent the continued implication that when it goes well, its Russ calling the plays. And when it doesnt, its Schottys fault.

sutz

Reaction score
McGruff":2orvwh91 said:
Yes they are, and they have been since last year.

But it is a whole another level.

I do resent the continued implication that when it goes well, its Russ calling the plays. And when it doesnt, its Schottys fault.
Haters gonna hate, and confirmation bias is a dangerous thing. :twisted:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seeing the steady improvement of this team, along with getting Reed back etc. This team could easily win 11 or 12 games.

ttown0026

Reaction score
The play calling has been so much better this year. I feel like the Hawks are way less predictable. They are adding in play-action on first down more than they have in the past. Hopefully play-action and quick passes are here to stay.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think more importantly, the line has been somewhat better and Russ and the receivers are on the same page.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2xlwgtuh said:
I think more importantly, the line has been somewhat better and Russ and the receivers are on the same page.

I think it has more to do with Russes pocket presences. Hes not making those dumbass mistakes he used to make year in and year out. Hes taken a huge step as a QB this year imo probably bigger than any previous years. His pocket awareness and pocket presence has vastly improved along with his adjustments at the line. This is the first year Ive seen Russell play and thought he looks like a veteran QB.

McGruff

Reaction score
blazen2392":1utm1emu said:
Bobblehead":1utm1emu said:

I think it has more to do with Russes pocket presences. Hes not making those dumbass mistakes he used to make year in and year out. Hes taken a huge step as a QB this year imo probably bigger than any previous years. His pocket awareness and pocket presence has vastly improved along with his adjustments at the line. This is the first year Ive seen Russell play and thought he looks like a veteran QB.

I think Schottenheimer deserves some credit for that.

hawk45

Reaction score
IMO Schotty did a hell of a job adjusting the offense after the first two drives in this game, instead of us languishing until halftime. There were some very good plays called, the TD to Metcalf comes to mind. Russ bailed us out of poor OL execution, but I was not mad at all at the playcalling and am a bit surprised at the lack of credit Schotty gets.

John63

Reaction score
blazen2392":2vf2ffcs said:
Bobblehead":2vf2ffcs said:

Amazes me how we can not have a positive thread without a shot at Wilson. The difference less about Wilson's supposedly dumb whatever and more about play calling/design and oline.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":33qi2k3m said:
blazen2392":33qi2k3m said:
Bobblehead":33qi2k3m said:

Amazes me how we can not have a positive thread without a shot at Wilson. The difference less about Wilson's supposedly dumb whatever and more about play calling/design and oline.

It kinda works both ways. You cant talk about anything in regards to the offense without someone blaming Schotty for all things. If Wilson makes a wrong read its Petes and Schotties fault. OL gets ragdolled its Schotty. OC gets blamed cause its easy.

But to answer the question from the OP,yes I feel they are. I have always liked Schotty as an OC. Liked his style when he was at the Jets.

xray

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":d7e1uric said:
Like the title says, are Russ and Shotty clicking now? Seems like the game is being called to Russ' strengths. Or is he calling it himself?!?!
IMO...This seasons offense belongs to Wilson ....finally !

Jville

Reaction score
The quarterback verses offensive coordinator and quarterback verses head coach noise is the nonsense of a mythology of misunderstanding. The Seattle Seahawks have been very deliberate with Russell Wilson's development thru out his career.

Player and coaching development and evolution is a reflection of an empowering program that cares deeply about one another.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jville":qtb38u0e said:
The quarterback verses offensive coordinator and quarterback verses head coach noise is the nonsense of a mythology of misunderstanding. The Seattle Seahawks have been very deliberate with Russell Wilson's development thru out his career.

Player and coaching development and evolution is a reflection of an empowering program that cares deeply about one another.

This! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Pete isn’t perfect. But he is very good at teaching, and he works hard to help his players and staff to develop both on and off the field.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
John63":1z2yxuz2 said:
blazen2392":1z2yxuz2 said:
Bobblehead":1z2yxuz2 said:

Wilson has improved and is making less mistakes though. Just like any young QB growing and getting better over time.

We don’t have to blame every historical deficiency on the coaches, o-line, scheme, wind direction, shoe color.....It’s ok to say he has worked on his game and improved. ;)

John63

Reaction score
justafan":se6kw2dq said:
John63":se6kw2dq said:
blazen2392":se6kw2dq said:
Bobblehead":se6kw2dq said:

It kinda works both ways. You cant talk about anything in regards to the offense without someone blaming Schotty for all things. If Wilson makes a wrong read its Petes and Schotties fault. OL gets ragdolled its Schotty. OC gets blamed cause its easy.

But to answer the question from the OP,yes I feel they are. I have always liked Schotty as an OC. Liked his style when he was at the Jets.

I dont blame schott for everything, or oc or the oline or Wilson. I blame who I believe it at fault and at times it has been any and all of them.

Mick063

Reaction score
I don't know if they are or not, but I do believe this...…

When Russell limits his improvising to play action pass as well as situations that are not obvious passing downs, he seems to be much more effective with it. Obvious passing downs seem to require quicker releases. It is like the opposition has game planned for his improvising within specific "down and distance" situations.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the passing game. Carson is such a beast, I would like to see him get more opportunities from some different looks and formations than just the shotgun zone read.

chris98251

Reaction score
I actually think Schotty and Wilson have chemistry and work well together, Wilson and Bevell was student teacher and I don't think there was as much trust with back and forth ideas and play calling, that and I think Bevell was not free or afraid to do anything without Pete's blessings.

xray

Reaction score
this is Wilson's offense..deal with it...Schotty has a head set for looks .