Shawn Alexander 2.0

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Arian Foster, I remember that guy being pretty decent at one time.

morgulon1

Reaction score
1,880 yards.
5 Touchdowns against the BiQueens IN ONE HALF GAME, and NO, not all his breakaway runs were to the LEFT SIDE.
How many other Historic Seahawks RB's were almost AUTOMATIC in the Red Zone as Alexander?
As much as I loved Marshawn Lynch's Power Runs, he never came close to SA in the Red Zone Touchdowns.
This is coming from respect ❤

You think #37 is better than #24? Or at least in the red zone?

I think Alexander was a very very good player . I don't have to think twice about who I would take if I had a choice between the two. Game on the line ..

Twenny fo

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I've seen a few mention Arian Foster 2.0, I can see that in his posture movement and size. I think Zach has more athleticism, but in fairness I did not watch foster very closely.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think that was a complaint by fans. He ran super hard inside the 20, but would avoid contact if possible outside the red zone.
Everybody except the Defenders trying to corral Marshawn Loved his Punishing run style, including myself, BUT, let's be honest; you don't tally up 1,880 yards in one 16 game season, only getting them in the Red Zone.

bileever

Reaction score
Waaay too early to start thinking of these rookies as superstars. We haven't even seen them in a preseason game. I'm optimistic, too, but some of these high expectations can only lead to heartbreak.

BASF

Reaction score
I see a lot of John L in Charbonnet's game. I know he won't be a fullback, but I believe we could use him as such with Walker III in the backfield at the same time. It would create serious problems for the defense.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson didn't make Shaun Alexander. Shaun Alexander made Shaun Alexander. He was the greatest high school football player ever in the entire history of Kentucky. He was the greatest RB in the entire history of Alabama in college. He didn't have Walter Jones or Steve Hutchinson back then. I suppose he was doing it with smoke and mirrors or something? Let's get real here people!

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
...And? Analyst get things wrong all of the time. He's got a nice cutback but that is where the similarities end. He runs through contract and he can and does truck people, sometimes even looks for contact. I'd argue that Charbonnet is more similar to Marshawn Lynch than Shaun Alexander.

Now, Raashad Penny on the other hand, he was A LOT like Alexander in style, build and athleticism. Alexander had a deceptive speed that almost lulled defenders into complacency. He'd look like he was moving slow, then all of the sudden was way ahead of everyone. It a second gear that was quite unlike most backs i've seen. Charbonnet doesn't have that. Charbonnet is also not afraid to seek out contact.

It's not a good comparison, Alexander and Charbonnet.
Yeah, when Penny was on he really looked like it. Once he got past the LOS he’d just glide past the LBs and get that smooth stride going. The comparison was also helped by the fact that when Penny was on it also meant that the OL were opening good holes for him like SA used to get with HoF blockers. The unfortunate difference is that SA would go down easier than RO, but he also was able to get up and play again more often afterwards.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
IMHO I feel Mcintosh could be as good as either KW3 or ZC. I feel this running back room has easy potential to be the best in league. This should give Pete what he wants as far as ball control and it should help open up the passing game which is also top of league. The only question mark is front line. IMHO it should be even better than last year and the potential to be top 15.
It almost has to be, we’ve got upgrades at the interior positions. Also, the rooks from last year now know what their conditioning needs to be to make it through a longer nfl season than college. It seemed like they really started to fade the last 3-4 games and that makes sense for every down rookies. Should be a very improved group.

themunn

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing him link up with Walker

Charbonnet et Walker - the truffle brothers

Truffle brothers

chrispy

Reaction score
How many other Historic Seahawks RB's were almost AUTOMATIC in the Red Zone as Alexander?
All of them that consistently had the benefit of starting behind Hutch and Walt.

I like SA. He was good and I'm not faulting him. But my opinion is that 51%+ of his credit should go to his OL: the best Left Side that ever existed. He maxed his opportunity and deserves credit because there are undoubtedly some that wouldn't have earned MVP in that situation. But he was not a singular talent that created success where no one else could.

The Seahawks run game was great for those years and he was a part of it. I'll give him that credit. I stop at a point where his credit denies the recognition of his advantages up front. Put another way: I'd rather have that Left Side and a different RB than a different Left Side and SA.

Mick063

Reaction score
There are two parts to Alexander's chronological career path and neither part resembles the other. That is why the perceptions of Alexander vary so wildly and why declaring he is one way or the other isn't an accurate assessment.

For most of his career, SA was as good of a running back as anyone else in the league. One season he was the best, league MVP, the others he was top three. He basically destroyed that public perception in his last couple of years. Falling to the ground in a fetal position to avoid a hit is memorable to me. But it isn't how I will remember his career.

The analogy would be remembering a deceased father. Would you remember him for when he was vibrant and young? Or would you remember him as gravely ill and bedridden? Would you look at the ill version and declare that his entire lifetime was "overrated"?

With respect to our Rook. Watch his highlights, then watch Chris Warren highlights. They look like the same dude. Actually, Warren was a bit faster, stronger, and bigger. If Warren played in today's game, he would be the best back in the NFL. But the new guy's running style is very similar. If we got 95% of Chis Warren, we would still have a top 3 running back in the league.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander was the most overrated player in Seahawks history. He had good vision but I also think Ray Charles could have found the holes he had to run through.
Takes more than "Good Vision", you still have to have the kahoona's & bursts of get after it to produce those 1,880 yards in 16 games & 26 TD's ain't the traits of a RB that's over rated, Next you'll be trying to convince yourself & everyone else that Mike Holmgren didn't like using his Halfbacks & Fullbacks to help block for Hass on passing downs. LOL