Shawn Alexander 2.0

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Waaay too early to start thinking of these rookies as superstars. We haven't even seen them in a preseason game. I'm optimistic, too, but some of these high expectations can only lead to heartbreak.
LOL I believe in letting folks have their 'Feel Good' moments about everything Seahawks, I mean hey, it's the off-season.
Had a great Draft last year, and I believe that some of the players that we picked up in This year's Draft are going to be a huge upgrading...Apprehensions are for Pessimists LOLOL

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, when Penny was on he really looked like it. Once he got past the LOS he’d just glide past the LBs and get that smooth stride going. The comparison was also helped by the fact that when Penny was on it also meant that the OL were opening good holes for him like SA used to get with HoF blockers. The unfortunate difference is that SA would go down easier than RO, but he also was able to get up and play again more often afteer played 'Smart Football' and kept the injuries at bay because of

Yeah, when Penny was on he really looked like it. Once he got past the LOS he’d just glide past the LBs and get that smooth stride going. The comparison was also helped by the fact that when Penny was on it also meant that the OL were opening good holes for him like SA used to get with HoF blockers. The unfortunate difference is that SA would go down easier than RO, but he also was able to get up and play again more often afterwards.
SA kept Injuries at bay by playing 'Smart Football', he was a ONCE in a Generational Talent that doesn't get near the respect BY SOME SEAHAWKS FANS that he deserves for all that he produced.
Hey, I get it, some people want to see a 'Punisher Back' who goes for that ONE EXTRA YARD, but don't seem to understand that those kind of players have a shortened careers because they wind up getting all beat to hell. (see Chris Carter for details)

bileever

Reaction score
LOL I believe in letting folks have their 'Feel Good' moments about everything Seahawks, I mean hey, it's the off-season.
Had a great Draft last year, and I believe that some of the players that we picked up in This year's Draft are going to be a huge upgrading...Apprehensions are for Pessimists LOLOL
I never thought I was a pessimist, but being a football fan has turned me into one!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
All of them that consistently had the benefit of starting behind Hutch and Walt.

I like SA. He was good and I'm not faulting him. But my opinion is that 51%+ of his credit should go to his OL: the best Left Side that ever existed. He maxed his opportunity and deserves credit because there are undoubtedly some that wouldn't have earned MVP in that situation. But he was not a singular talent that created success where no one else could.

The Seahawks run game was great for those years and he was a part of it. I'll give him that credit. I stop at a point where his credit denies the recognition of his advantages up front. Put another way: I'd rather have that Left Side and a different RB than a different Left Side and SA.
Downplaying his accomplishments because you didn't like his style of play? Yeah, okay, if you say so, BUT, SOME of his BEST runs were to the RIGHT SIDE, and that included some of his Red Zone TD's.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Everybody except the Defenders trying to corral Marshawn Loved his Punishing run style, including myself, BUT, let's be honest; you don't tally up 1,880 yards in one 16 game season, only getting them in the Red Zone.
No , Alexander was for real. There was about 3-4 seasons where you could argue he was the best in the league.

He also had a sharp and sudden decline.it was strange.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think that happens to lots of athletes, passion fades, it looks like a lot of sacrifice from the outside looking in, for most players.

chris98251

Reaction score
SA kept Injuries at bay by playing 'Smart Football', he was a ONCE in a Generational Talent that doesn't get near the respect BY SOME SEAHAWKS FANS that he deserves for all that he produced.
Hey, I get it, some people want to see a 'Punisher Back' who goes for that ONE EXTRA YARD, but don't seem to understand that those kind of players have a shortened careers because they wind up getting all beat to hell. (see Chris Carter for details)
Well he didn't want to [pass block either, queue the Mack Strong Fullback Draw play.

chris98251

Reaction score
His best game as a Seahawk was against Washington when someone took a cheap shot at Matt and pissed him off, that day he was a wrecking ball and was a different back wanting to inflict on the Skins. But other then a Red Zone hand off that was a rare appearance for him. His leg injury and foot right after was his decline, after the foot he could never plant the same.

BASF

Reaction score
No , Alexander was for real. There was about 3-4 seasons where you could argue he was the best in the league.

He also had a sharp and sudden decline.it was strange.
Not strange at all. He cracked his foot in game one against Detroit in 2006. He continued to play on it because (his literal quote) "God will heal my foot." Holmgren was stupid to allow him to continue to play. He had it completely broken in week 3 against the Giants. I guarantee that he did permanent damage to that foot in those two weeks all because of his faith.

He only had one great game after that. He only had three good games after that. He simply no longer had the wheels to get that second gear that he had before that injury and consequent damage done by playing on it for a couple of games.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
They both have good vision and great feet, I guess. Alexander's vision was elite, I'd say.

I think Matt Forte is a better comp.
Shaun's top end speed was very good, not great. What separated him was his elite vision (I agree) and elite acceleration/agility.

BASF

Reaction score
All of them that consistently had the benefit of starting behind Hutch and Walt.
Ricky Watters behind Jones and Hutchitraitor one red zone touchdown.

Maurice Morris one red zone touchdown was to the right side and not behind Jones and Hutchitraitor.

Mack Strong had one touchdown run during the Jones/Hutchitraitor era. It was a twenty-one yard run, but there is no video of it that I can find. Jones/Hutchitraitor may have been the side that he ran behind, but who knows.

Seems like the other backs that played behind our two hall of famers were not automatic in the red zone.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
Downplaying his accomplishments because you didn't like his style of play? Yeah, okay, if you say so, BUT, SOME of his BEST runs were to the RIGHT SIDE, and that included some of his Red Zone TD's.
Like I said, I like SA. ...and it's not his fault he had Jones and Hutch creating space for him. From my perspective, I just don't think he'd have the accomplishments he had without them. I'm not trying to "downplay his style" and I'm sorry if it came across that way. SA is a great guy and a really good football player. Those are both compliments.

Comparing others, I didn't have any TDs either behind that line but I only had slightly fewer opportunities than Mo and Mack. SA got the ball a lot and had all the advantages. In my opinion, it's only right and fair to bring up Walt and Hutch when praising Alexander because I think they deserve a lot of that credit. They hadn't been mentioned in the thread and that's a slight toward them. I'm happy to agree to disagree on whether SA or Walt/Hutch made a bigger difference. No hard feelings and I respect your admiration of SA.

toffee

Reaction score
Same here!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Like I said, I like SA. ...and it's not his fault he had Jones and Hutch creating space for him. From my perspective, I just don't think he'd have the accomplishments he had without them. I'm not trying to "downplay his style" and I'm sorry if it came across that way. SA is a great guy and a really good football player. Those are both compliments.

Comparing others, I didn't have any TDs either behind that line but I only had slightly fewer opportunities than Mo and Mack. SA got the ball a lot and had all the advantages. In my opinion, it's only right and fair to bring up Walt and Hutch when praising Alexander because I think they deserve a lot of that credit. They hadn't been mentioned in the thread and that's a slight toward them. I'm happy to agree to disagree on whether SA or Walt/Hutch made a bigger difference. No hard feelings and I respect your admiration of SA.
Read B.A.S.F's post directly above yours.
NOT everybody flourished while running behind Jones-Hutchinson side of the line LIKE Shaun Alexander did>>> NO ONE.
I have respect for ALL who gave it their all for the Seahawks, Walter Jones & Steve Hutchinson earned their accolades, but so did SA for his accomplishments while running to the RIGHT side of the line...I've yet to hear some of y'all give credit to Tobeck & Gray for their part in opening up hoes for SA to run through on the Right side, why is that? Why no mention for their skookum play?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Not strange at all. He cracked his foot in game one against Detroit in 2006. He continued to play on it because (his literal quote) "God will heal my foot." Holmgren was stupid to allow him to continue to play. He had it completely broken in week 3 against the Giants. I guarantee that he did permanent damage to that foot in those two weeks all because of his faith.

He only had one great game after that. He only had three good games after that. He simply no longer had the wheels to get that second gear that he had before that injury and consequent damage done by playing on it for a couple of games.
*because of his interpretation of his faith

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Read B.A.S.F's post directly above yours.
NOT everybody flourished while running behind Jones-Hutchinson side of the line LIKE Shaun Alexander did>>> NO ONE.
I have respect for ALL who gave it their all for the Seahawks, Walter Jones & Steve Hutchinson earned their accolades, but so did SA for his accomplishments while running to the RIGHT side of the line...I've yet to hear some of y'all give credit to Tobeck & Gray for their part in opening up hoes for SA to run through on the Right side, why is that? Why no mention for their skookum play?
His "competition" was a third down back and a blocking fullback. Maurice Morris and Strong also hardly ever carried the ball. There were seasons where Morris and Mack Strong had 50 carries between the both of them.

Sure, Alexander did great -- but the fact remains he did play behind one of the best run blocking lines in the NFL since the 90s Cowboy dynasty. Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson were first ballot HOFers. Tobeck, the center was a Pro-bowler. I'd argue that there are a lot of running backs that would have looked comparable to Shaun Alexander in that situation. Even a few of his colleagues would have likely did something similar and of course one of them did in LT.

I think he was a good back, but it's also safe to say that his resume was inflated by playing behind giants.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I still feel like we need a guy with lightning acceleration as opposed to top end speed , just keep defenses gassed as im not seeing a semi truck that can plow through everyone type of guy but Mcintosh could be really valuable
JUST NEED TO STAY HEALTHY and yes the all caps was me at a keyboard yelling as my wife yells OMG what happened and the cats run like crazy all over as the dog starts barking type o thing
Rb injuries are really gettin old
Kinda like me lol

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JUST NEED TO STAY HEALTHY and yes the all caps was me at a keyboard yelling as my wife yells OMG what happened and the cats run like crazy all over as the dog starts barking type o thing
Rb injuries are really gettin old
Kinda like me lol
With Walker, Charbonnet, and McIntosh all on the roster, I'm not as afraid of injuries as I would be with just one or two big names.

Latest posts