Shawn Alexander 2.0

themunn

Reaction score
His "competition" was a third down back and a blocking fullback. Maurice Morris and Strong also hardly ever carried the ball. There were seasons where Morris and Mack Strong had 50 carries between the both of them.

Sure, Alexander did great -- but the fact remains he did play behind one of the best run blocking lines in the NFL since the 90s Cowboy dynasty. Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson were first ballot HOFers. Tobeck, the center was a Pro-bowler. I'd argue that there are a lot of running backs that would have looked comparable to Shaun Alexander in that situation. Even a few of his colleagues would have likely did something similar and of course one of them did in LT.

I think he was a good back, but it's also safe to say that his resume was inflated by playing behind giants.

Alternatively the linemen had the benefit of playing with incredibly talented running backs throughout their career, and for Seattle at least, in a west coast offense that favoured them in the passing game.

Walter Jones effectively blocked his entire career for elite running backs. 2008 was the only year he didn't block for one of Chris Warren, Ricky Watters, or Shaun Alexander.
Likewise Steve Hutchinson went from blocking for Shaun Alexander in Seattle to blocking for Adrian Peterson at the Vikings.

So were they the ones making the RBs great, or were the RBs the ones making them great? It's a bit of both, obviously.

getnasty

Reaction score
Takes more than "Good Vision", you still have to have the kahoona's & bursts of get after it to produce those 1,880 yards in 16 games & 26 TD's ain't the traits of a RB that's over rated, Next you'll be trying to convince yourself & everyone else that Mike Holmgren didn't like using his Halfbacks & Fullbacks to help block for Hass on passing downs. LOL
Burst yeah, Kahoona's no. SA feel to the ground if anyone breathed on him. His success was 90% OL/Mack Strong 10% him. I'm not saying he wasn't solid he just wasn't near as good as people make him out to be.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson didn't make Shaun Alexander. Shaun Alexander made Shaun Alexander. He was the greatest high school football player ever in the entire history of Kentucky. He was the greatest RB in the entire history of Alabama in college. He didn't have Walter Jones or Steve Hutchinson back then. I suppose he was doing it with smoke and mirrors or something? Let's get real here people!
Exactly. Funny, I made nearly an exact same post years ago that mentioned WJ, Hutch and Kentucky & Alabama records. Probably on the old ESPN boards or maybe the defunct Seattle PI forum. Glad I read the replies before duplicating you!

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I never thought I was a pessimist, but being a football fan has turned me into one!
Assuming many of us here are also Mariner fans, you’re likely preaching to the choir. Bunch of Glums from Lilliput after decades of letdowns from the local boys of summer 😔

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I think we may have one of the best RB corp. In the league.
I could probably look this up, but I’ll just rely on memory and make it a quiz if anyone else has a better memory…
Last game I recall the Hawks having 2 RBs going for 100+ was a 2005 SNF game vs. the Texans when SA & MoMo did it (same night Hamlin got his skull cracked in a postgame fight).
Has it been done since? I don’t think it happened in the Marshawn era. Forsett would’ve probably been the most likely counterpart (excluding RW3), but I don’t think it happened.
Very likely would have with K9 & Penny.
I believe Curt Warner and John L. did it once or twice.

Anyway, all that to say that I think this crew will do it, and it could be any of the 2 out of 3. If it happens, I will bump this as a validation of my optimism.

renofox

Reaction score
Not strange at all. He cracked his foot in game one against Detroit in 2006. He continued to play on it because (his literal quote) "God will heal my foot." Holmgren was stupid to allow him to continue to play. He had it completely broken in week 3 against the Giants. I guarantee that he did permanent damage to that foot in those two weeks all because of his faith.

He only had one great game after that. He only had three good games after that. He simply no longer had the wheels to get that second gear that he had before that injury and consequent damage done by playing on it for a couple of games.
This is how I remember it, also. Although I don't remember the "God will heal me" part even though it sounds like something SA would say. I just remember being pissed off and screaming at the TV for Holmgren to pull him while SA was obviously playing injured for multiple games. He was never the same after that.

I dare anybody who knows how to read splits look at this and tell me SA wasn't a HOF-level RB.

SA CAREER SPLITS

I also remember many seasons and games where SA was actually better running to the right. Anybody remember the names of all those HOF OL on the right side?

I understand people not liking his style, but denigrating the best Seahawks RB in the team's history is overreacting.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chris Gray, Locklear, whomever was the FA we signed that year to replace the rent a RT the year before.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
His "competition" was a third down back and a blocking fullback. Maurice Morris and Strong also hardly ever carried the ball. There were seasons where Morris and Mack Strong had 50 carries between the both of them.

Sure, Alexander did great -- but the fact remains he did play behind one of the best run blocking lines in the NFL since the 90s Cowboy dynasty. Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson were first ballot HOFers. Tobeck, the center was a Pro-bowler. I'd argue that there are a lot of running backs that would have looked comparable to Shaun Alexander in that situation. Even a few of his colleagues would have likely did something similar and of course one of them did in LT.

I think he was a good back, but it's also safe to say that his resume was inflated by playing behind giants.
So Hmm, you're admitting that MoMo & Strong were scant at carrying the rock because Alexander was getting the job done with his prolific play, and showed no indications of wearing down like most other Feature Backs, Seems he had extraordinary endurance.
You've finally INCLUDED Tobeck, Gray & Sinclaire (NON-Hall of Famers) who ALSO were instrumental at helping to open up holes for SA to run through, seems SA didn't always need the two All Stars on the Left to make him a Great Back...Credit where Credit IS DUE.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Burst yeah, Kahoona's no. SA feel to the ground if anyone breathed on him. His success was 90% OL/Mack Strong 10% him. I'm not saying he wasn't solid he just wasn't near as good as people make him out to be.
1,880 YARDS 26 TD's...Sounds a hell of a lot like someone who WAS EVERY BIT "AS GOOD as people made him out to be"
How many 1,880 yard seasons did Marshawn Lynch, or Chris Carson & the like have Nasty?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This is how I remember it, also. Although I don't remember the "God will heal me" part even though it sounds like something SA would say. I just remember being pissed off and screaming at the TV for Holmgren to pull him while SA was obviously playing injured for multiple games. He was never the same after that.

I dare anybody who knows how to read splits look at this and tell me SA wasn't a HOF-level RB.

SA CAREER SPLITS

I also remember many seasons and games where SA was actually better running to the right. Anybody remember the names of all those HOF OL on the right side?

I understand people not liking his style, but denigrating the best Seahawks RB in the team's history is overreacting.
Not just "Overreacting" it's Overdisrespecting a guy because he didn't seek out punishment, while running for 26 TD's...He played 'Smart Football' and was one of the MOST prolific Seahawk RB's EVER, how can ANYONE calling themselves a Seahawk Fan not appreciate what HE PERSONALLY brought to Seattle....The want to give EVERYONE EXCEPT SA credit for what HE DID.