Shane Waldron

sutz

Reaction score
Waldron is one of the best OC's in the NFL, and will be getting HC interviews very soon.

McVay misses him dearly.

I think they should promote him, so they don't lose him.
I suppose they could give him one of those "Asst Head Coach" titles or something.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm just enjoying watching a 21st Century offense for a change. Whether the fact that we haven't had that is on Pete or on Russ or some combination of the two, I don't care. We've been seeing some modern concepts of motion, misdirection, creative passing routes and zones, and playcalling. Now the playcalling has gotten a bit too cute a few times, but I'll chock that up to "youthful" enthusiasm by our new OC. Not ready to fire Waldron over that stuff yet. :)
From what I understand, Pete Carroll has always been partial to the Mike Shanahan branch of the WCO. I know he also quite likes the Air Coryell system. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly he likes.

I thought I had it all figured out, but really the biggest issues I had on offense seemed to stem from number 3. I used to be very skeptical of Wilson, but then I turned a blind eye because I was in awe at some of the BS he was able to pull on the field.

Russell Wilson was a good QB for us, but he was all style and no substance. He was like eating ice cream for dinner, yeah it tasted good but there is nothing of nutritional value there. From what I heard reported when we signed Schotty, Carroll forced Schottenheimer to run his offensive playbook and slowly trickle in his plays. I ponder if the reason for doing that was Wilson's limitations as a passer? Schottenheimer's schemes were often times characterized as being very difficult to pick up.

Now, biggest gripe on Waldron thus far is his red zone offense isn't the greatest. That is one area where his predecessor was much better. Our second half offense isn't exactly the greatest either -- which are similar issues we had under Wilson.

Geno Smith has scored a total of one touchdown in the second half of the games thus far. His completion percentage and yards/average drop. In the 4th quarter the completion percentage drops to the 60s, we haven't scored a single touchdown through the air in the third quarter.

I wonder who this is on. I know we tend to run more in the second half, but still these numbers are a bit concerning. Is it a Shane Waldron deal, philosophy issue or a Carroll thing?

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
From what I understand, Pete Carroll has always been partial to the Mike Shanahan branch of the WCO. I know he also quite likes the Air Coryell system. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly he likes.

I thought I had it all figured out, but really the biggest issues I had on offense seemed to stem from number 3. I used to be very skeptical of Wilson, but then I turned a blind eye because I was in awe at some of the BS he was able to pull on the field.

Russell Wilson was a good QB for us, but he was all style and no substance. He was like eating ice cream for dinner, yeah it tasted good but there is nothing of nutritional value there. From what I heard reported when we signed Schotty, Carroll forced Schottenheimer to run his offensive playbook and slowly trickle in his plays. I ponder if the reason for doing that was Wilson's limitations as a passer? Schottenheimer's schemes were often times characterized as being very difficult to pick up.

Now, biggest gripe on Waldron thus far is his red zone offense isn't the greatest. That is one area where his predecessor was much better. Our second half offense isn't exactly the greatest either -- which are similar issues we had under Wilson.

Geno Smith has scored a total of one touchdown in the second half of the games thus far. His completion percentage and yards/average drop. In the 4th quarter the completion percentage drops to the 60s, we haven't scored a single touchdown through the air in the third quarter.

I wonder who this is on. I know we tend to run more in the second half, but still these numbers are a bit concerning. Is it a Shane Waldron deal, philosophy issue or a Carroll thing?
With winning the last two games and having led both games at some point in the first quarter on, this criticism baffles me. I get it that being critical of the coaching or the players or play calling or whatever can bolster something in the critic when at some point it seems like the criticism was right.

But honestly, even if/when the Seahawks fail to execute at the end of game at some point that won't mean much until it happens again and again and again. At this point it looks like that happening (failing at the end of games) will be the exception and the rule is trending toward the Seahawks taking control of the game and holding it - scoring when necessary and ball control to burn the clock.

Every game played is a beast unto its own, and in the last two games the Seahawks were only behind for a brief moment once after an early 3 point field goal by the Cardinals. Do you not believe that if the Seahawks needed to score more they would have at least tried in either game?

The game flow and score and time and competition determines the outcome much more than looking at a stat sheet and saying something like, "they didn't score in second half but x# of times. Uh oh! This is a problem!" The Seahawks are scoring quite a bit and scoring late is not important if they even have 1 more point than the competition when the clock hits 00:00.

The last two games ended with a two score advantage. What is to worry about? This is actually in my estimation a refreshing reprieve from the last 10 years of heart-attack last minute will our kicker shank it football.

Though that close edge-of-your-seat kind of football is entertaining and even great as well at times, every game like that is a bit exhausting for at least some of the fanbase. Some close games are still valuable to gain the belief of winning late and close for the team. As the modus operandi of a team that the past QB seemed to engender, it was not always a sustainable formula, especially once the playoffs began.

This team, now with a QB more capable of working within the offense, is actually allowing the team to have greater control over the duration of the game. Obviously the sample size is limited, but even in the losses this year my trepidation near the end of games is much more a memory response from the previous team leader than what is actually occurring on the field this year.

The last two games provided excitement at the end without excessive fear. What a joy to be a Seahawks fan with a good and improving Offensive Coordinator in Shane Waldron, an efficient and effective QB in Geno Smith and an excellent Head Coach in Pete Carroll.

The story isn't finished but I am certainly intrigued by the preface.