SF Trades For Gabbert

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have been saying the Niners have picks to burn.

Well, they burned that one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":30zd7wrv said:
As a side note, San Francisco would once again seem to have launched a head start on owning more former #1 draft choices than any other NFL team.

That seems to be something of a foundation for 49er personnel.

You mean Gabbert needs to be in a Headstart program, QB that can only find his first receiver, his back up one that can't find any. Super Bowl!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Dtowers":37ykvi12 said:
Gabbert > McCoy?

I'd take McCoy.

Looks like the 9ers are building something very special down there. Special Olympics special.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":z08bsjnh said:
Gabbert>bucket of warm piss?
I think I'll give it to the bucket of Coors, actually.

beerBucketOfCoorsLight.jpg

kearly

Reaction score
Not saying this was a good trade, but Alex Smith was a TERRIBLE QB for years before Harbaugh got his hands on him. Gabbert has similar measurables to Smith and the 49ers do not have an under-center offense.

If Gabbert fails where Smith succeeded then he will be a grand champion of suck.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":11orllrg said:
Jville":11orllrg said:
As a side note, San Francisco would once again seem to have launched a head start on owning more former #1 draft choices than any other NFL team.

That seems to be something of a foundation for 49er personnel.

You mean Gabbert needs to be in a Headstart program, QB that can only find his first receiver, his back up one that can't find any. Super Bowl!

Nice editing job. :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1xu2uxbu said:
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 5m
Probably not a good idea for Blaine Gabbert's self-esteem to read Twitter.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 7m
Jax GM David Caldwell takes early lead for Exec of Year, getting a 6 for Blaine Gabbert.

Is this the same GM who picked Gabbert ahead of the rest of the 2011 QB class and a punter instead of Russell Wilson?

Happy

Reaction score
NINEster":2yfyx4gy said:
DavidSeven":2yfyx4gy said:
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 5m
Probably not a good idea for Blaine Gabbert's self-esteem to read Twitter.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 7m
Jax GM David Caldwell takes early lead for Exec of Year, getting a 6 for Blaine Gabbert.

Is this the same GM who picked Gabbert ahead of the rest of the 2011 QB class and a punter instead of Russell Wilson?

No that was gene smith. He got the boot last year.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":agnrrpbk said:
Not saying this was a good trade, but Alex Smith was a TERRIBLE QB for years before Harbaugh got his hands on him. Gabbert has similar measurables to Smith and the 49ers do not have an under-center offense.

If Gabbert fails where Smith succeeded then he will be a grand champion of suck.

Harbaugh even made One Eye Blind a Pro Bowl QB. Maybe his system works for limited QBs.

Or really bad ones.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":b0m0214u said:

This.

Gabberts first 2 seasons have actually been BETTER than Alex. LOL.

We can argue all we want about Kap, but this move was about re-placing Alex Smith as a viable backup. Colt was not that guy. All they need Gabbert to be is a servicable placeholder. Maybe he can be that, maybe he can't. We're about to find out. Harbaugh liked him coming out of college and thinks he can work with the kid.

I doubt this prevents the 49ers tho from picking up a rookie in the draft to compete with him.

mathezar

Reaction score
Gabbert was a high draft pick and signed for nice money. Kaepernick was lowly drafted and will be making half the money that his new back-up quarterback will be making on the bench. LOL Nice move SF.

rideaducati

Reaction score
When Gabbert actually had time to throw, he made it past his first read more often than Kaep ever has.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1mqlpntx said:
Niners had too many picks. Had to give one away.
This probably has as much to do with as anything else. Best case scenario he becomes a solid backup and maybe traded in a couple of years. Worst case, they cut him and lose a pick that they couldn't afford anyway. They have to get rid of some. If it were me, though, I'd be trading them for future picks.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Maybe after blowing the Super Bowl and the 3 4th quarter turnovers in the NFCCG, the 49ers have decided they don't want to pay Kaepernick big fat money, so this will be his last year before departing the NFC West.

Personally, I think they are doing the Alex Smith --> Kaep transitioning routine again... except this time it will be trading Kaepernick to the Raiders for a 2nd round pick(#33), and Blaine Gabbert will be wearing the headphones in Santa Clara from now on.