Serious Question about Run, Run, Pass Convo

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I did a quick scan over total plays this year. (I did not go in and break each possession down like last night).

Hawks have passed 60%+ in 10 of 13 games. So from those stats, the whole run, run, pass all game seems false besides below stats.

The other 2 games were more run based and one was close to 50/50. They went 2-1 but that was vs Rams, NYG, Carolina.

Optimus25

Reaction score
In the 2nd half.

Waldron called a pass play 9 times and ran it 6 times on 2nd down.
In the 2nd half we were playing catchup more than even having the liberty of thinking about balance. Also it's not about the quantity of occurrence, it's about the quality of the result.

In the 1st half, when we could have actually done some damage, 2 of the 3 stalled drives had runs on 2nd down, combining for -3 yards. (The 3rd stalled drive '2nd down' was the screen to Walker that Warner blew up. so the passing equivalent of a run)

Greg Olsen the dope even noted how we wasted these opportunities and setup obvious passing downs against the league's best pass rush. My thinking is Shane was confident he could gain 3-4 yards in these instances, and set up quite a few things for 3rd and short at worst. Instead though he was just setting up 3rd and longs.

Optimus25

Reaction score
No, you died on your hill in the game thread. I am not gonna get in a pissing contest with you anymore. I specifically was talking this game and in the game chat, you kept saying "all we do is run, run, pass" and when i fact checked you, you called me a clown(emoji).

I have no reason to defend Waldron for the plays you listed above(this i am replying to), i am defending against lies and false stats that the masses said for yesterdays game.

Since you did call out the run, run, pass in the game thread.

Hawks scored 10 points in 3 drives when they started run, run, pass. 👀👀😂😂.

And no, i dont want that consistently either.
Well i have very consistently and clearly redefined the discussion from my perspective. You seem locked in on trivialities. Have fun with that.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
In the 2nd half we were playing catchup more than even having the liberty of thinking about balance. Also it's not about the quantity of occurrence, it's about the quality of the result.

In the 1st half, when we could have actually done some damage, 2 of the 3 stalled drives had runs on 2nd down, combining for -3 yards. (The 3rd stalled drive '2nd down' was the screen to Walker that Warner blew up. so the passing equivalent of a run)

Greg Olsen the dope even noted how we wasted these opportunities and setup obvious passing downs against the league's best pass rush. My thinking is Shane was confident he could gain 3-4 yards in these instances, and set up quite a few things for 3rd and short at worst. Instead though he was just setting up 3rd and longs.
Thats a solid rebuttal. Hawks were not really behind so much in the 2nd half though that they had to abandon the run. Once the 4th Quarter started I agree moreso.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
So they supposedly run, run, run and pass, pass, pass? That is just a false statement for the game yesterday. I am actually unsure if ppl watch the game or just follow the masses.
Watch the game again and listen to the broadcasters. They actually say it. Why do they try and run the ball and only get a yard or two then have to go to a known passing down putting the qb in trouble.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Watch the game again and listen to the broadcasters. They actually say it. Why do they try and run the ball and only get a yard or two then have to go to a known passing down putting the qb in trouble.
Olson also said dk started the fight. Lol. I pulled up the plays. Its not true this gm.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
People see what they want to see. They see one instance of something and assume it's been happening the whole game. Then announcers come on and say wrong stuff because they've only got 30 seconds per play to analyze, but people hold up their opinions as gospel if it supports the firing of whoever they want fired.

Only way to be right is to go get the data.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Just another conversation built on decade old narratives. Seattle passes at a high frequency on early downs and a high frequency in neutral situations, and they have for the better part of a decade outside of 2018 and 2019.

knownone

Reaction score
"Run, Run, Pass" has always been a complaint that seems to capture the general vibe of what a bad offense feels like to watch. But the complaint is almost always the result of fans reading too much into patterns. Why? Well, there are only two choices over three plays, meaning only eight possible combinations exist.
  1. Run, Run, Run
  2. Run, Run, Pass
  3. Run, Pass, Run
  4. Run, Pass, Pass
  5. Pass, Run, Run
  6. Pass, Run, Pass
  7. Pass, Pass, Run
  8. Pass, Pass, Pass
If you took a snapshot of any drive, you'd find these combinations everywhere. So if you think of each drive as a sequence, not just in a three-play combination, you'll have variations of Run, Run, Pass all the time. It's unavoidable. For example, #3 and #4 combine to make Run, Pass, Run, Run, Pass, Pass. Similarly, #5 and #6 give us Pass, Run, Run, Pass, Run, Pass.

You get the idea. If you are looking for that combination, you'll find it. And when the offense isn't working, it's easy to blame the sequence's predictability.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Look, i am on twitter(as you know 😉) and it was everywhere stating they run, run, pass. Also, how did they take the ball out of Locks hand for a large stretch?

They called consectutive run plays only 3 times all game. And that was spread out. Its why even Mitch Levy looked silly stating stuff like that.

They did run, run, pass only 3 times all game. When they did that they scored a TD, FG and then punted.

For this game it is false. Im too lazy rn to go break down all the previous games.
It's been a false narrative for many years. You can show people the numbers for an entire season and their cognitive dissonance won't let them see it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
carson was underrated by this fan base myself included. Very good running back
Why did we underrate him?
He was hurt a lot and missed a bunch of games. It wasn't his fault
but games played matters.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I think I question the play calling more in the lines of why a long developing play on 3rd and 8 when we know they’re blitzing and we’ve got 2 seconds to throw?

Or it’s 4th and 2 and we run a pitch to charbs against a d front that has been waiting for that play all game

Coach fekin Kline - Waldron has a techmo bowl playbook - not even super techmo bowl - straight up first edition 1984 type shit. It’s infuriating.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why did we underrate him?
He was hurt a lot and missed a bunch of games. It wasn't his fault
but games played matters.
I just think when healthy he was a borderline great player but because he came after Lynch people sort of undersell how good he was