Serious Question about Run, Run, Pass Convo

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I am not trying to troll or start fights.

I have seen this on the game threads and on X and reddit.

"Waldron and Pete just call run, run, pass all game". Even Seattle Sports Mitch Levy said this.

Today, the seahawks ran 55 total plays.
They ran the ball 20 total times and passed the ball 35 times.

So the run, run, pass narrative is false for today but its being told like its facts.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
It's rarely true when people say it.

I got on this kick a few years ago when this would come up and pulled the data from games and it was pretty wrong. I think it's just a trope from the olden days.

A few years ago people kept talking about how they didn't want "another one and done" in the playoffs. But the Seahawks were winning one game then losing the divisional. That's not what that means, guys.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I would say a more accurate frustration of the offense this year is pass, run (2nd and 6+), pass, punt. The RRPP model was more prevalent with Russ. I was trying to keep track of how often Waldron called a run on second and forever, believe only once or twice he called a pass and in most instances the 49ers were run blitzing for a big loss. Resulting in Lock having 3rd and forever which is something Geno also routinely deals with and why they're one of the worst third down offenses in the NFL. As soon as this team fails on first down, it feels like there's almost a guarantee it'll be a 3rd and 9+.

Ozzy

Reaction score
People aren't claiming its every single drive but more situationally happening. Just watched a Seattle film guy go over his notes and he brought this up that for a large stretch of the game they seemed to take the ball out of Locks hands and do a lot of run,run pass stuff. So the overall numbers don't suggest it but situationally they probably did. I don't think they have been doing this a bunch though as Mistaowen pointed out.

themunn

Reaction score
Charbonnet put up back to back 23 yard runs in the first quarter, is it any wonder we tried to keep setting up the run?

Slick

Reaction score
Run run pass only works when you have a running back who gets consistently 3-4 yards a carry (no loss for yards) setting up 3rd and 3 or 4. The last guy was Chris Carson. I loved that guy. Throwback. Never a home run hitter but got better as the game went on.

He was just too violent a runner and the career burned bright but short.

Charbs might evolve into this but not there yet.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's not like sf is easy to run on...I didnt have a problem with the game plan trying to establish the run so Lock wasn't dropping back every play. They could of been more creative with the running game but ultimately I think they were trying to limit Lock a bit which imo wasn't wrong given he hasn't played since 2021.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Run run pass only works when you have a running back who gets consistently 3-4 yards a carry (no loss for yards) setting up 3rd and 3 or 4. The last guy was Chris Carson. I loved that guy. Throwback. Never a home run hitter but got better as the game went on.

He was just too violent a runner and the career burned bright but short.

Charbs might evolve into this but not there yet.
carson was underrated by this fan base myself included. Very good running back

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
We can't seem to consistently run block worth a damn. You can not establish a run game when 3/4 of your run plays a defender is meeting the RB as he takes the handoff netting you a 1 yard gain at most. Sure, we sometimes break a bigger one helping the average but that does not sustain drives. To me, this all starts with the big bodies up front, particularly in the middle (guard and center). This more often than not leads to 2nd 8+. Now, we are trying to throw it because the run didn't work and they are all over it. Here we are in 3rd and long again but even if we get to 1 or 2 ytg we still don't seem to have a threat of pounding it forward.

I would like to see more passing on 1st down particularly play action for some quick short to mid (and not just the quick screen) to help this. We still need to figure out the middle of the line or find some upgrades there.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Running on 2nd down helps them get into 3rd and manageable situations. But repeated A and B gap runs with a center in Evan Brown who was regressed as the season went on? Maybe put Olu in there OR try different runs / short passes?

Waldron still lacks creativity. Even the one TD to Parkinson was copied from another playbook. This wasn't his original play design.

Optimus25

Reaction score
It's not the 'run run pass' theme that is the ACTUAL complaint.

It's the selection of running plays in the wrong moments.

Look dude. everyone here wants to establish the run. You're obviously dying on this hill for some reason. But when K9 has 1 yard per carry going into the 3rd quarter and the virtual caveman Greg Olsen is calling you out for running on 2nd down when a pass is far more optimal in numerous series, it's a problem.

Then while you're at it, go ahead and defend back to back runs to Charb in the red zone against the Rams which netted next to nothing and resulted in a back breaking FG instead of at least an attempt to score a TD.

Then after that go ahead and defend us gaining all the momentum after the half against the Niners in the first game, driving deep in the red zone and calling a moronic pitch play to Charb on 1st down, short side of the field no less, to piss away a down and nearly turn it over. Again, field goal when the only acceptable or winning result was TD.

Shane is displaying a pattern of not being locked in for the kill when we get them on the ropes. When he is 'on', he's good. (Detroit, Dallas, minus critical 4th downs) yay! when he's off it's mind numbing and painful to even try to understand.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Running on 2nd down helps them get into 3rd and manageable situations. But repeated A and B gap runs with a center in Evan Brown who was regressed as the season went on? Maybe put Olu in there OR try different runs / short passes?

Waldron still lacks creativity. Even the one TD to Parkinson was copied from another playbook. This wasn't his original play design.
Well then, we need to steal that playbook. That play was a thing of beauty.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
I am not trying to troll or start fights.

I have seen this on the game threads and on X and reddit.

"Waldron and Pete just call run, run, pass all game". Even Seattle Sports Mitch Levy said this.

Today, the seahawks ran 55 total plays.
They ran the ball 20 total times and passed the ball 35 times.

So the run, run, pass narrative is false for today but its being told like its facts.
That is because they try to run run run the ball without a good OL get 1 to 2 yds then have to pass pass pass because they're behind trying to catch up.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
That is because they try to run run run the ball without a good OL get 1 to 2 yds then have to pass pass pass because they're behind trying to catch up.
So they supposedly run, run, run and pass, pass, pass? That is just a false statement for the game yesterday. I am actually unsure if ppl watch the game or just follow the masses.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I would say a more accurate frustration of the offense this year is pass, run (2nd and 6+), pass, punt. The RRPP model was more prevalent with Russ. I was trying to keep track of how often Waldron called a run on second and forever, believe only once or twice he called a pass and in most instances the 49ers were run blitzing for a big loss. Resulting in Lock having 3rd and forever which is something Geno also routinely deals with and why they're one of the worst third down offenses in the NFL. As soon as this team fails on first down, it feels like there's almost a guarantee it'll be a 3rd and 9+.
In the 2nd half.

Waldron called a pass play 9 times and ran it 6 times on 2nd down.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
People aren't claiming its every single drive but more situationally happening. Just watched a Seattle film guy go over his notes and he brought this up that for a large stretch of the game they seemed to take the ball out of Locks hands and do a lot of run,run pass stuff. So the overall numbers don't suggest it but situationally they probably did. I don't think they have been doing this a bunch though as Mistaowen pointed out.
Look, i am on twitter(as you know 😉) and it was everywhere stating they run, run, pass. Also, how did they take the ball out of Locks hand for a large stretch?

They called consectutive run plays only 3 times all game. And that was spread out. Its why even Mitch Levy looked silly stating stuff like that.

They did run, run, pass only 3 times all game. When they did that they scored a TD, FG and then punted.

For this game it is false. Im too lazy rn to go break down all the previous games.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Charbonnet put up back to back 23 yard runs in the first quarter, is it any wonder we tried to keep setting up the run?
Right. And it was one of 3 times they did it all game. So rare. They passed 63.6% of the game.

People would be right if they said all we do is pass more then we run.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
We can't seem to consistently run block worth a damn. You can not establish a run game when 3/4 of your run plays a defender is meeting the RB as he takes the handoff netting you a 1 yard gain at most. Sure, we sometimes break a bigger one helping the average but that does not sustain drives. To me, this all starts with the big bodies up front, particularly in the middle (guard and center). This more often than not leads to 2nd 8+. Now, we are trying to throw it because the run didn't work and they are all over it. Here we are in 3rd and long again but even if we get to 1 or 2 ytg we still don't seem to have a threat of pounding it forward.

I would like to see more passing on 1st down particularly play action for some quick short to mid (and not just the quick screen) to help this. We still need to figure out the middle of the line or find some upgrades there.
Hawks passed the ball 3 straight times on 1st down to start the game before a run on the 4th first down they had.

The Seahawks called pass plays 18 of the 29 first downs they had.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
It's not the 'run run pass' theme that is the ACTUAL complaint.

It's the selection of running plays in the wrong moments.

Look dude. everyone here wants to establish the run. You're obviously dying on this hill for some reason. But when K9 has 1 yard per carry going into the 3rd quarter and the virtual caveman Greg Olsen is calling you out for running on 2nd down when a pass is far more optimal in numerous series, it's a problem.

Then while you're at it, go ahead and defend back to back runs to Charb in the red zone against the Rams which netted next to nothing and resulted in a back breaking FG instead of at least an attempt to score a TD.

Then after that go ahead and defend us gaining all the momentum after the half against the Niners in the first game, driving deep in the red zone and calling a moronic pitch play to Charb on 1st down, short side of the field no less, to piss away a down and nearly turn it over. Again, field goal when the only acceptable or winning result was TD.

Shane is displaying a pattern of not being locked in for the kill when we get them on the ropes. When he is 'on', he's good. (Detroit, Dallas, minus critical 4th downs) yay! when he's off it's mind numbing and painful to even try to understand.
No, you died on your hill in the game thread. I am not gonna get in a pissing contest with you anymore. I specifically was talking this game and in the game chat, you kept saying "all we do is run, run, pass" and when i fact checked you, you called me a clown(emoji).

I have no reason to defend Waldron for the plays you listed above(this i am replying to), i am defending against lies and false stats that the masses said for yesterdays game.

Since you did call out the run, run, pass in the game thread.

Hawks scored 10 points in 3 drives when they started run, run, pass. 👀👀😂😂.

And no, i dont want that consistently either.