Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

Ozzy

Reaction score
treefidy":30bak224 said:
Hawk_Nation":30bak224 said:
So its going to take Sherman and another CB to cover Julio? Since when?

:roll:

No. Sherman and another DB. More than likely a Safety.

If you want to argue that Sherman can man Julio, you might be insane.

Wait Sherman completely shut down Brown. Is Julio better than Brown now? I'm sure Julio will beat him a couple of times. He is a fantastic player and to expect a game like Sherman played against Antonio isn't realistic although it wouldn't shock me. I see it similar to Marshall last week. He will make a splash or two but after all is said and done Sherman will do his thing, he always does.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Doubling Julio (or shading coverage to him in zone) is really playing into what the Falcons want teams to do, IMO.

We already saw this when him going crazy for 300 yards in one week opened up everything else for the Falcons in the next week, which is a way the Falcons would much rather play, IMO.

I think the Hawks have Sherman shadow him, and it really only gets interesting to the degree the Falcons are willing to put Jones in the slot.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
We will not double cover anybody, ever. Sherm may get some safety help deep and Sherm will get beat a few times but he'll also get his, he always does! This is a number 1 corner versus a number 1 receiver. Atlanta fans will blow up social media as soon as Julio gets by him and when the game is in the books both sides will be saying either Sherm or Julio won the matchup!

I think Atlanta's strength in this matchup is Quinn. He probably knows a few ways to beat our D. But that doesn't mean that Carroll doesn't know how to beat him either! I really believe that Atlanta will try to exploit our weakness of stopping the 5-10 yard passes over the middle. It always seems teams work that area of the field against us and Quinn will try too, IMO.

Tical21

Reaction score
I love how people still haven't learned about Richard Sherman.

This is a bad matchup for Atlanta. Shead matches up great with Sanu, our LB's excel in covering and hammering RB's in the flat, and Julio Jones draws the best corner in the era. This game just doesn't look close on paper.

If Ryan tries Sherman consistently, he gets picked multiple times. That's just the way the world works. He's gonna take deep shots. I love it. Throw it up, dawg.

Jacob Tamme. That's all you need to know.

That Atlanta D is a mirage. Playing QB's that hold onto the ball makes it look like they are rushing the passer, and they don't have anyone that can cover al Graham or Lockett.

Hawks 31
Falcons 13

Boycie

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":36f7n6ka said:
Atlanta was averaging a putrid one sack per game until Sunday when they recorded six against the Broncos. Atlanta's pass rush comes predominantly from one guy: Vic Beasley. Unfortunately he's the type of player (speed rusher) that Sowell struggles with. Need to neutralize Beasley because the Falcons can't mount a rush from many other places as the only threat after him is the ancient Dwight Freeney.

I am going to chalk that up to having a rookie QB in there is what caused 6 sacks. I thought I heard during the game that he never had a QB coach in college, so he may have been having a hard time time diagnosing an NFL defense in his first start.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just curious, anyone know how Jones has matched up with the Hawks prior?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FOGHORN":2s6ls0q3 said:
You shouldn't need that excuse. What great offensive teams have the Seahawks faced so far?

The Patriots, the Packers, the Manning-led Broncos, the Saints, the Steelers, the Panthers...

All of 'em.

Or did you think Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, Lane, Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wright, Rubin, McDaniel, etc. all entered the league as of yesterday? They know how to hang tight with elite offenses, and they're having a rebound year after '15.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Foghorn and Trefiddy both joined in 2013, two days apart.

Pure coincidence, or the same person?

FOGHORN":1fmaj9x2 said:
Treefidy is bringing it. Good football talk. And some Seahawk fans too. Some are attacking the poster and not the post, but that is too be expected. .

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I remember quit clearly, a certain offensive team, an offense that has never been seen in fact, learned, that in the end.. defense wins championships.

Ask the Patriots.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
treefidy":3r7p8xly said:
seafence82":3r7p8xly said:
Richard Sherman 1 or 2 seasons ago had the 2nd best QB rating against as a CB in the history of the game, it hasn't changed much since then but I can't find a link to give updated results. JJ is great but Sherman has stats better than deion sanders, and pretty much shut down Antonio brown last year. We are hoping you throw at Sherman alot, he wins that battle 90% of the time vs any WR in the game and the stats back that up.

We have more all pros in our secondary than you do on your entire team, the only def in history to lead the lg in ppg for 4 years in a row, and the best home record in the nfl in the last 4 years. Our off has more playmakers than your def, our def has more than your off. There's a reason we are the obvious favorite, no one is saying Atl isn't a good team and will be an easy out but your whole argument is using 1 game vs Denver and very naive.

That's good for Sherman. He will not win 90% of the time vs Julio. Sherman succeeds because of his size, speed and strength. Julio is one of the few receivers in the league that best him in all 3 categories.

That's where your lack of knowledge (understandable for a non-fan) shows up. Sherman has beaten receivers who best him in the measurables. He does it with his technique and his understanding of the game. He's a complete corner. He'll probably bring it to a 50-50 stalemate, slightly worse than his 60-40 win against Brandon Marshall last week, because Matt is a better QB than Fitz.

But the very fact that he'll be covering Julio one on one is going to leave Matt and his other targets up against the best pair of safeties in the game committed to stopping their middle-of-the-field stuff. Our DBs are also more active participants against the run, and better at it, than any other secondary in the league. The Falcons should have a hard time getting their run game untracked, and that's going to put more pressure on Ryan, who can still probably dink-and-dunk decently.

It'll be a close game, but then you have homefield advantage for the Seahawks to consider, and that our offense will be having a good time against your defense. The scoreboard will also be pressuring Ryan.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1tjj5ceg said:

FOGHORN":1tjj5ceg said:
Treefidy is bringing it. Good football talk. And some Seahawk fans too. Some are attacking the poster and not the post, but that is too be expected. .

Not the same person, they are talked about in their own forum as separate individuals.

fuego

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2ql8htn2 said:

FOGHORN":2ql8htn2 said:

They're not the same person.

Probably joined so close due to the game in '13, and somebody on our forum mentioning joining and commenting over here.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Julio will get his. Sherman will too. Jets game vs. Marshall being an example. That matchup alone is not going to decide the game unless people thing JJ can put up 150+ and multiple TDs. Sherman 1 on 1 there frees up the rest of the D to do their thing. That matchup I think serves the Seahawks better.

On the other side of the ball I think the Hawks are much better. If the Falcons D comes out even there it will be a very tough game. If not, you're looking at a repeat of the last time the two teams met (Julio or not)

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Julio is going against the best corner in the game. That means he will likely have one of his least productive performances all season. I'm not saying he's going to get shut out, but Treefidy makes it sound like he's going to absolutely torch Sherman. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

Of all the great receivers Sherman has covered, Brandon Marshall is the only one I've seen be consistently productive against him...and even then, Sherman still makes plays and limits him.

fuego

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2jfjx9t9 said:
Julio is going against the best corner in the game. That means he will likely have one of his least productive performances all season. I'm not saying he's going to get shut out, but Treefidy makes it sound like he's going to absolutely torch Sherman. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

I think the main point of this though is that even if Julio is shut down, we proved against NO and Denver that we can win, and win convincingly even if he is shut down. We're not a one trick pony offense.

hawker84

Reaction score
fuego":29trboof said:
fenderbender123":29trboof said:

I think the main point of this though is that even if Julio is shut down, we proved against NO and Denver that we can win, and win convincingly even if he is shut down. We're not a one trick pony offense.

Ok, let's keep it real, NO has one of the worst defenses in the league, and Denver was starting a rookie QB playing in his first game (who by the way threw for 25/35 223 yards). So I reserve judgment on those victories.

Now I'm not saying ATL is not legit, I think their offense is very formidable. What I'm interested in seeing, is how your Defense stacks up against all our weapons. Trufant isn't locking anybody down, ATL's D line from what I hear is ok, but nothing compared to Rams, Miami, and I think that is where the Seahawks wins and lose games, in the trenches. If RW has time, they're done, if you can get constant pressure up the middle and contain him from scrambling, it's going to be a long tough day for us. Skill player wise, I think Seattle clearly has the better team. You guys have a very good QB and a good backs in Freeman and Coleman, but are they better than Hyde or Gurley?

Not saying this is an easy win by any means, but if we play Seahawk defense (which is better than Denver's IMO), we should come out on top.