Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Houston beat Portland tonight and will face Seattle in the Western Conference Finals. Leg 1 is November 21 at Houston, leg 2 is November 30 at Seattle.

Chapow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1ht6ie43 said:
Your Portland Timbers. Cascadia Cup and Western Conference champions.

Kinda hard to be Western Conference Champions when you don't even make it to the Western Conference Finals.

Gratz on finishing the regular season in 1st place though. I'm sure that'll be some sort of consolation to the Timbers as they watch the rest of the playoffs from their couches. :p

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Joevin Jones has his moments but is still a terrible defender. I think the Sounders can easily replace him with Victor Rodriguez, maybe even Nouhou (definitely has the pace), etc. Jones clearly doesn't want to play in Seattle. Don't need a player with an attitude like that no matter how talented he may be.

Chapow

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2lzoer6v said:
Joevin Jones has his moments but is still a terrible defender. I think the Sounders can easily replace him with Victor Rodriguez, maybe even Nouhou (definitely has the pace), etc. Jones clearly doesn't want to play in Seattle. Don't need a player with an attitude like that no matter how talented he may be.

It's a moot point. Jones is going to Germany after this season anyway.

I like what I've seen from Nouhou and I think he'll be a fine replacement for Jones.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Why is there a huge gap between in the MLS playoffs? It seems odd. I guess it helps get players rested for the next matches but wow 2 weeks between matches is a long time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":g6mxm4ek said:
Why is there a huge gap between in the MLS playoffs? It seems odd. I guess it helps get players rested for the next matches but wow 2 weeks between matches is a long time.

Not sure, but it would have been nice playing Houston this week, they have three Honduras players who all got called up.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1qg39h7q said:

International break? Guessing they assumed the US would have a world cup play off qualifier game. Svensson played for Sweden today against Italy and Torres may have played a friendly.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1lyulyj0 said:
hawkfan68":1lyulyj0 said:

International break? Guessing they assumed the US would have a world cup play off qualifier game. Svensson played for Sweden today against Italy and Torres may have played a friendly.

That's got to be it. Looks like in Europe and in other parts of the world WC qualifiers are still going on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3q6sshya said:
Sounders FC and Clint Dempsey have agreed on a one-year contract extension that keeps him in Seattle through the 2018 season.

http://www.espnfc.com/team/seattle-soun ... 9726/index

It'll be interesting to see how Schmetzer uses Dempsey going forward.

My hope is Dempsey's a 75 minute then sub him out type of player. If we do that, he could last another 2-3 years. But if Dempsey is adamant that he's still a 90 minute player and Schmetzer allows him to dictate his playing time, then we could have some serious issues.

Exittium

Reaction score
Well shit.. Seattle teams somehow are just cursed this month, miller in for Frei who suffered a right hamstring strain before leaving Seattle.. ugh

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Houston down to ten men after a red card for denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Houston saves the penalty, though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great win and play by the Sounders. They almost had 3 goals a few times. Depth of the Sounders is unreal. Unfortunately, they lost Torres for the next game due to YC accumulation. In my opinion, a stupid rule to have in the playoffs. But it is what it is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":h7g6qsnw said:
Great win and play by the Sounders. They almost had 3 goals a few times. Depth of the Sounders is unreal. Unfortunately, they lost Torres for the next game due to YC accumulation. In my opinion, a stupid rule to have in the playoffs. But it is what it is.

I know it hurt us, but as we saw last night playoff soccer is already chippy enough. So I'm fine with the YC accumulation carry over, it has to help minimize matches getting out of control and even worse with the nonsense.

Lodeiro and Jones were absolute studs last night. Our experience and depth really showed. I'm sure Schmetzer will make sure there's no letdown at home.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Man, the Sounders are just built for the play offs. The format really helps this current team.

A bit bummed we didn't get 3 or 4, we really should have. Would have helped me relax a bit but we got 2 away goals.

Houston have to go all out attack next week, bunker down and try snatch an early goal.

Really hope Columbus win next week, would make for a nice story.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Do yellow card accumulations count for the final as well or does it get cleared? Pretty sure we have Lodeiro and a few others walking that tight rope. If so, maybe limit their minutes next week.