Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
RE: Expansion

MLS has said they want 24 teams by 2020. They have made no mention of expanding beyond that point. Atlanta and LAFC will join in 2017, followed by 2 more teams in 2019 or 2020. Miami is not a guarantee for one of those spots as they are nowhere near getting a stadium deal in place.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2wsrq93u said:
RE: Expansion

MLS has said they want 24 teams by 2020. They have made no mention of expanding beyond that point. Atlanta and LAFC will join in 2017, followed by 2 more teams in 2019 or 2020. Miami is not a guarantee for one of those spots as they are nowhere near getting a stadium deal in place.

It was part of David Beckham's MLS Contract that he got Expansion rights as an owner when he retired.

Miami will happen....Eventually.....whether its in the initial 24 or not.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
RE: Player Quality

Until the MLS ditches its single-entity structure, enacts free agency, and increases the salary cap commensurate with what the league is making off their new broadcast rights deals both here and overseas they won't be able to attract and keep the quantity of good players a 24-team league will need to catch and hold the interest of the casual fans.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":36mg3t5c said:

Until the MLS ditches its single-entity structure, enacts free agency, and increases the salary cap commensurate with what the league is making off their new broadcast rights deals both here and overseas they won't be able to attract and keep the quantity of good players a 24-team league will need to catch and hold the interest of the casual fans.

Well, I don't disagree...but devils advocate here.

MLS's single entity structure is a major factor in the stability of the league and allows for clubs which don't generate a lot of revenue to continue to remain competitive. Getting rid of Single entity means the end for clubs like FC Dallas are sent off to fold. Think of where Houston, San Jose, or Kansas City would be without single entity. All three were failing clubs less than 8 years ago. All three were playing in absolute dumps. Minor League baseball stadiums for most of them. But Single entity meant they still had money coming in from the leagues success despite those clubs being dumpser fires...

Now all three of those teams have BEAUTIFUL new stadiums and are competitive. Especially for KC. When they aligned with Sporting and re-branded, built that stadium....it changed everything about that club. Everything.

Single entity is how we got to this point, and I can see it being a problem to let go.

Free Agency and higher salary caps are still possible without getting rid of Single entity. The profit sharing between clubs is very important to sustain the level of growth we are at, and are poised to continue.

Smurf

Reaction score
Real quick, if anyone is bored this evening Houston Dynamo are hosting Orlando City SC at 4pm PST (7pm EST). Game is on univision, so Spanish commentary. UniMas last week had the SAP working for English commentary. Haven't tried that yet tonight.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":3ovlenlr said:
Real quick, if anyone is bored this evening Houston Dynamo are hosting Orlando City SC at 4pm PST (7pm EST). Game is on univision, so Spanish commentary. UniMas last week had the SAP working for English commentary. Haven't tried that yet tonight.
The English announcers are not very good.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":3piw6czu said:
SeatownJay":3piw6czu said:

Well, I don't disagree...but devils advocate here.

MLS's single entity structure is a major factor in the stability of the league and allows for clubs which don't generate a lot of revenue to continue to remain competitive. Getting rid of Single entity means the end for clubs like FC Dallas are sent off to fold. Think of where Houston, San Jose, or Kansas City would be without single entity. All three were failing clubs less than 8 years ago. All three were playing in absolute dumps. Minor League baseball stadiums for most of them. But Single entity meant they still had money coming in from the leagues success despite those clubs being dumpser fires...

Now all three of those teams have BEAUTIFUL new stadiums and are competitive. Especially for KC. When they aligned with Sporting and re-branded, built that stadium....it changed everything about that club. Everything.

Single entity is how we got to this point, and I can see it being a problem to let go.

Free Agency and higher salary caps are still possible without getting rid of Single entity. The profit sharing between clubs is very important to sustain the level of growth we are at, and are poised to continue.
You can have revenue sharing and a salary cap without the single-entity model.

Smurf

Reaction score
Not if a club starts to fail and cant pay players.

Currently there are many checkes and balances remove single entity and you lose alot.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":2o3lsxnn said:
In expansion news:

Minnesota United are emerging as favorites to gain MLS expansion of those left in the "bidding". With strong fan support, and supposedly a new outdoor stadium in the pipeline it looks like the northern US could be adding another team to the mix.
Looks like Minnesota United is the official choice for the 23rd team.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... nsion-bid/

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3ulffmzk said:
Smurf":3ulffmzk said:
In expansion news:

Minnesota United are emerging as favorites to gain MLS expansion of those left in the "bidding". With strong fan support, and supposedly a new outdoor stadium in the pipeline it looks like the northern US could be adding another team to the mix.

Great news for us up here in soccer no man's land
We were fairly positive at the presentation. Lots of people I know put hard work into this.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3es3do7a said:
SeatownJay":3es3do7a said:
Smurf":3es3do7a said:
In expansion news:

Great news for us up here in soccer no man's land
We were fairly positive at the presentation. Lots of people I know put hard work into this.

Will you switch allegiances?

knownone

Reaction score
7 critical errors 3 goals conceded... is this the end of Brad at CB? If they really want to groom him for the future, why not move him to S2 for a few months.

Seabhac

Reaction score
As good as we were last week is as bad as we were tonight.
Wonder if not having the boss there made a difference?

Smurf

Reaction score
I'm going to take the night before posting my thoughts. Need some compose myself.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You know your centerback position is in serious trouble when your longing for the Zach Scott days.

I'd actually feel sorry for Evans if I wasn't so disgusted by his performance last night. That had to be the singularly worst performance I've ever seen by a Sounder. Holy moly, the summer transfer window can't come soon enough.