Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

knownone

Reaction score
If both rumors are true, great news. You could argue both guys are DP level players. Ivanschitz gives us much needed help on set pieces, my only concern is his pace.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2bg37q4p said:
haven't watched much Sounders play, but I'm assuming adding two experienced, yet aging attack players will help them in some way?

For sure, both quality players. Not exactly as exciting as a well known DP type player, but if we've learned one thing over the past month, this club needs depth at the attack and set piece, and both players seem suited for that.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pe9ezt4 said:
Uncle Si":1pe9ezt4 said:
haven't watched much Sounders play, but I'm assuming adding two experienced, yet aging attack players will help them in some way?

For sure, both quality players. Not exactly as exciting as a well known DP type player, but if we've learned one thing over the past month, this club needs depth at the attack and set piece, and both players seem suited for that.

Ivanschitz is not a DP player, nor uses any of our Transfer Allocation Money (TAM)....Which indicates his salary is less than 400k. Solid attacking player with a proven record of scoring from the midfield, which is what we lack right now. All season the goals have come from 2-3 players and that is always a dangerous game to play.

He's also got a great left foot and will instantly becoming our set piece deliverer. He will most likely fight for time on the left wing vs the likes of Thomas, and Pappa if/when he returns.

With the CCL starting....shit...tomorrow, this is a great depth signing for us. He will get minutes and hopefully net a few for us along the way.

We tried to sign Valdez in 2013 as a DP on a contract work $4 million. He rejected the deal to stay with Valencia who where in the midst of a UCL Run.

Valdez is a player who has spent a lot of his years as a striker, but recently has transitioned into an outside midfielder....which as we all know is a position of desperate need for us.

It is possible that Valdez will be a TAM player.

If we are actually signing both these players (only Ivanshitz is confirmed) then well done Garth. Two quality players right in time to help turn the tide again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":22v0coe2 said:
If we are actually signing both these players (only Ivanshitz is confirmed) then well done Garth. Two quality players right in time to help turn the tide again.

For sure, and with Pappa's undetermined return and now Ozzie's hammie issue more than one addition was needed to get through the rest of the season.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If either one of them can make accurate passes out of the midfield and can move faster than an arthritic turtle then they're a vast improvement over anyone we currently have in the midfield.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":k5k7sh6b said:
If either one of them can make accurate passes out of the midfield and can move faster than an arthritic turtle then they're a vast improvement over anyone we currently have in the midfield.

This is the most on point description of Gonzalo Pineda I have seen this week.

knownone

Reaction score
It's worth noting both players are younger than Dempsey.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If these guys can keep Pineda and Rose on the bench or out of games entirely, it's a huge step forward.

In other MLS news, I saw that Penedo, goalkeeper for Galaxy, got waived. More of his asking than performance. He is unhappy with the MLS CBA and his pay. So hopefully this weakens a rival that the Sounders are fighting with for a playoff spot.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2cqee1jx said:
Smurf":2cqee1jx said:
knownone":2cqee1jx said:

Is it though?
That was for SI who referred to the signings as aging.

Aren't they aging? I also referred to them as Internationals.

Neither are investments for the future, which is what this club really needs.

Honestly... None of you knew who these guys were until today. They could be crocked.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Well I know what Sounders kit I am getting next...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bpaul711/status/628667417607176192[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2ehcftfu said:
. So hopefully this weakens a rival that the Sounders are fighting with for a playoff spot.

You mean the rival that now has Gerrard, and just signed Dos Santos?

I like our chances down the stretch with these new additions and Oba getting healthy. But LA losing their average keeper and picking up another average keeper is not something I'd hang your hat on as a game changer.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30n839jt said:
knownone":30n839jt said:
Smurf":30n839jt said:
knownone":30n839jt said:

Is it though?
That was for SI who referred to the signings as aging.

Aren't they aging? I also referred to them as Internationals.

Neither are investments for the future, which is what this club really needs.

Honestly... None of you knew who these guys were until today. They could be crocked.
I disagree, the Sounders core has a small window and adding two veterans is a good move in the neat future, especially if they don't take up DP slot.

Most people know of Ivanschitz from Fifa. Valdez is basically the face of Paraguay, a lot of us do know who they are... To your point though I haven't followed either enough to know their health status.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2af0oi0p said:
hawkfan68":2af0oi0p said:
. So hopefully this weakens a rival that the Sounders are fighting with for a playoff spot.

You mean the rival that now has Gerrard, and just signed Dos Santos?

I like our chances down the stretch with these new additions and Oba getting healthy. But LA losing their average keeper and picking up another average keeper is not something I'd hang your hat on as a game changer.

Just because a comment is made doesn't imply a "hanging of a hat as a game changer" Losing Pennedo, whether he's average or not, is still a loss for the Galaxy. He was their starting GK.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
What it sounds like then is no.. noone really knows anything about these two players as players. Santa Cruz is the face of Paraguayan football... I don't know much about Paraguay and know that. And "most" people know Ivanschitz from a video game? Howso? Trolling Mainz for cheap transfers? or for some reason playing as Austria in Tournament mode?

I'm looking at it pragmatically, and in the player's brought in. I won't pretend to know anything about the two players more than I've read and seen (a little of Valdez, nothing of the Austrian) I guess I'm confused as to what the "core" of this club even is. It wasn't addressed properly in the off-season, and now the club is supplementing its off season failures with moves for "experienced" vets on low minimums in the hopes of maximizing the one, maybe two good seasons Dempsey has left? And in doing so found players that take up both Martins and Dempsey's better positions... and offering nothing to help the not so distant reality of a team without both of them.

Still haven't added to the deep midfield... and not a lick of pace or experience out wide (where MLS games tend to gravitate possession and attacking channels). Best summary anyone has offered thus far was Sgt. Largent's "help on set pieces"... and that's just, well...

The team maybe got somewhat better.. but reading this thread it seems as if the Sounders are bottoming out.

Dos Santos, Gerrard, Keane, Villa, Pirlo (Pirlo!?), Drogba (sort of), Lampard, even Kaka are signs of intent from clubs willing to take advantage of closing windows.

Let's not mask what this is... cheap moves of desperation. And because this isn't the shack I won't offer any metaphors of cheap and desperate.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":c1ywhnku said:
Let's not mask what this is... cheap moves of desperation. And because this isn't the shack I won't offer any metaphors of cheap and desperate.
It's ok, Throw doesn't read this thread. :)