Seahawks Trade Rumors

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
chris98251":133e6vln said:
Trading Reed is Maddenesque, why get rid of a proven player, having Dunlap and Snacks and maybe a returning Green will keep legs fresh and quick twitch reactions up. This is like saying well we got Avril lets Trade Bennett.

Couple of reasons this comparison doesn't work:

First off, Avril and Bennett played different spots.

Secondly, and more importantly, Bennett was actually good.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Reed has been mediocre at best the last two seasons. But he's still young and has showed promise so that's why I suggested offloading him with a pick if you can grab a guy like Gilmore or Watt. In any case, I don't think we are done. I expect another trade of some kind before Sunday.

PNW

Reaction score
If this front office gets Gilmore instead of more DL I’ll be pretty pissed, we need to make QB’s fear our DL, Gilmore will get burned if QB’s have all day to throw it, not to mention the whole salary cap thing

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I totally disagree with this. Gilmore is a lockdown corner and would be a huge upgrade over either Dunbar or Tre. He also would add some much needed attitude. It would give you a lot more flexibility with your secondary packages and it would lighten the pressure off Shaq, who would be a stellar #2 corner. As it is, he's an ok #1.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":16wrmw7p said:
If this front office gets Gilmore instead of more DL I’ll be pretty pissed, we need to make QB’s fear our DL, Gilmore will get burned if QB’s have all day to throw it, not to mention the whole salary cap thing

They won't do this - but I'd be absolutely elated to get a true lockdown corner. Shutdown corner helps the pass rush and secondary - defense gets to cheat a bit to one side.

PNW

Reaction score
I totally disagree with you, defensive line is the most important part of a championship defense, right now other than LOS we’re fielding a bunch of backups on any other defense disguised as starters, maybe Reed/Ford would be rotational DL’s.

PNW

Reaction score
If Gilmore is a lock down corner why did DK treat him like that, but Pat Peterson could actually lock DK down? Pff has him ranked well below the level he was playing last year at 61. Gilmore will not be as effective this year plus he doesn’t even do well in zone, he’s a man to man type of corner, this isn’t madden where you just throw someone in because they were good last year. DL is still our weakness, I have faith John and Pete see this.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":i3lrz8gd said:
I totally disagree with you, defensive line is the most important part of a championship defense, right now other than LOS we’re fielding a bunch of backups on any other defense disguised as starters, maybe Reed/Ford would be rotational DL’s.

Well, position by position:

Ford and Mone are playing great - Ford is near Pro Bowl level. Snacks Harrison is coming to help bolster the spot.

Just acquired Dunlap, whose play only fell off when his defense switched schemes and tried to force him out, meaning Mayowa is now a rotational backup. Alton Robinson has shown good stuff. Taylor waiting in the wings.

For big end, Collier is playing alright, and quickly improving. Rotates with Rasheem when Rasheem is healthy. They do a fine job replicating QJeff's production.

Meanwhile, at corner, you have both starting corners getting torched every week, and Flowers coming in to get torched, too. A shutdown corner would be transformative, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to add one.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":1uuoqher said:
If Gilmore is a lock down corner why did DK treat him like that

Nope. No way, no how. Can't use Gilmore's PFF grade as a negative when Pat Pete is 7 points lower. One game sample sizes are horrible when considering the overall value of veterans.

This is all a pipe-dream anyway, Seattle has hardly anything to give up. But, theoretically, adding a top-tier cornerback likely helps the defense more than adding any pass rusher save for Aaron Donald or prime JJ Watt.

Also, people keep using the Madden phrase, but also clamor for players like a horrendously washed Everson Griffen and act like defensive needs are just slots you need to fill. I'd argue that's more Madden-esque than discussing how a player would elevate the defense.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Shaq has been solid overall. Dunbar has honestly been pretty pathetic compared to what he was supposed to be coming in. He's playing through a knee injury that has slowed him down. Tre is horrific and honestly, I'd rather look to add a corner than another DE. We are just bad when Tre is out there. Poona/Mone/Snacks/Reed is very solid up the middle. Dunlap/Mayowa should be much improved. I think the hope is that Taylor comes back and starts opposite Dunlap, which lets Collier/Rasheem/Alton rotate. I would really love someone like Gilmore/Xavien Howard opposite Shaq, primarily so I never have to see Tre in a Seahawks uniform again. He is flat the worst player that sees time on this team.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I'd also like to add that I think Dunlap is going to be a beast. I think a HUGE reason for the drop off this year was his lack of motivation and reduced role. He wants to play. He seems motivated and excited to be a Seahawk. And yeah, Everson is garbage. I'd rather keep running Alton/Rasheem/LJ out there. If we want to go on a super bowl run, we need one more guy on D in addition to Jamal/Snacks/Carlos. I think you can do that with another end like Watt/Kerrigan OR another corner that can actually lock down one side of the field. And trying to say Gilmore is bad because he let one of the three best receivers get by him on one play is absurd.

PNW

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":37do916z said:
PNW":37do916z said:

Ford and Mone are playing great - Ford is near Pro Bowl level. Snacks Harrison is coming to help bolster the spot.

Just acquired Dunlap, whose play only fell off when his defense switched schemes and tried to force him out, meaning Mayowa is now a rotational backup. Alton Robinson has shown good stuff. Taylor waiting in the wings.

For big end, Collier is playing alright, and quickly improving. Rotates with Rasheem when Rasheem is healthy. They do a fine job replicating QJeff's production.

Meanwhile, at corner, you have both starting corners getting torched every week, and Flowers coming in to get torched, too. A shutdown corner would be transformative, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to add one.
So you think 2020 Gilmore, who’s weakness is zone coverage which the Hawks play mostly, who’s definitely not playing up to his 2019 form at all would have helped us with our atrocious DL not hardly getting any pressure on QB’s? I have to strongly disagree. We need to get more QB pressure that’s the real issue on D. If he was our missing piece Pete and John would have gotten him already, but no, they went and got a DE which is the weakness and will probably get more DL help. Collier sucks lol Green is coming off the dreaded neck injury(stinger)our team has bad luck with those, Taylor is still laid up rehabbing with a metal rod in his leg and might not even play this year or be effective, Alton Robinson can only do so much as a 5th round rookie, Bruce is out for the year, Mayowa is a backup/rotational player at best, Snacks is here to help with run defense NOT pressure on opposing QB’s.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
New England SUCKS. People keep forgetting that there's a huge mental aspect to this game as well. Of course Gilmore hasn't been playing as well. Doesn't mean he suddenly sucks. And yeah I'm all for getting another edge rusher. Just depends on if we can. But I'll also happily take Gilmore or Howard. Like I said, I'd rather put LJ Collier at corner than continue to watch Tre Flowers play like a zombie.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":33dlow49 said:
Maelstrom787":33dlow49 said:
PNW":33dlow49 said:

So you think 2020 Gilmore, who’s weakness is zone coverage which the Hawks play mostly, who’s definitely not playing up to his 2019 form at all would have helped us with our atrocious DL not hardly getting any pressure on QB’s? I have to strongly disagree. We need to get more QB pressure that’s the real issue on D. If he was our missing piece Pete and John would have gotten him already, but no, they went and got a DE which is the weakness and will probably get more DL help. Collier sucks lol Green is coming off the dreaded neck injury(stinger)our team has bad luck with those, Taylor is still laid up rehabbing with a metal rod in his leg and might not even play this year or be effective, Alton Robinson can only do so much as a 5th round rookie, Bruce is out for the year, Mayowa is a backup/rotational player at best, Snacks is here to help with run defense NOT pressure on opposing QB’s.

More surface level analysis that is rife with concrete statements that aren't backed in reality.

Gilmore, in zone snaps last year, allowed a below-50 completion percentage, and notched 2 interceptions. I don't know about you, but that doesn't necessarily sound very weak to me.

The fact that you are honestly trying to sit here and convince anyone that a defense on-pace to be the worst of all time has only ONE NEED and it's the defensive line is inconceivably naïve. We've watched the top 3 corners get toasted all year.

I'm not claiming Stephon Gilmore is the only missing piece. That'd be as stupid as thinking the only problem on defense is the defensive line. But, the coverage has been lacking, and a lot of the damage is coming WELL within the 2.6-3 seconds it'd take a good pass rush to get to the QB anyway. Indicates a fault in coverage. It's pretty well established that the correlation between pass coverage and winning is stronger than that between pass rush and winning, so why anyone would turn up their nose at a top-tier corner who was DPOY last year is beyond my comprehension.

Also, prove to me that Collier is playing badly for a guy playing his first 6 healthy games. Please, do it. If you think QJeff was good but Collier is bad, I got news for ya: you're biased against Collier because of his disappointing 2019. It's the only explanation there is.

PNW

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":39nvnodv said:
I'd also like to add that I think Dunlap is going to be a beast. I think a HUGE reason for the drop off this year was his lack of motivation and reduced role. He wants to play. He seems motivated and excited to be a Seahawk. And yeah, Everson is garbage. I'd rather keep running Alton/Rasheem/LJ out there. If we want to go on a super bowl run, we need one more guy on D in addition to Jamal/Snacks/Carlos. I think you can do that with another end like Watt/Kerrigan OR another corner that can actually lock down one side of the field. And trying to say Gilmore is bad because he let one of the three best receivers get by him on one play is absurd.
Stats dont lie, Gilmore: pff 61 ranking, 24 targets, 15 receptions with 1 int making 13,000,000 this year
Griffin: pff 59.7 ranking, 43 targets, 29 receptions with 2 int making 2,133,000 this year

We got Adams, Dunbar, Griffin, Diggs, Ugo, Neal......we need to get pressure on QB’s we don’t need Gilmore, a man to man overly price corner failing in zone coverage because that’s his weakness. Were you guys not around for the failed nahmdi asomugha experiment by the eagles where they turned a great lock down corner into a zone corner???? I agree with getting more DL, getting a CB like Gilmore at his price right now makes no sense.

Fade

Reaction score
Pass rush will only help a little bit. The Seahawks are too simplistic on the backend. Tre Flowers = a free 1st down anytime the opponent needs one. So they need to get a Corner, and another pass rusher.

But it won't fix much in the end. Like Tom Cable with the O-Line. The defense isn't going to start making actual strides until Ken Norton is gone, and they hire a DC who has actually had success at that position at the NFL level.

PNW

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2kfpqhl8 said:
PNW":2kfpqhl8 said:
Maelstrom787":2kfpqhl8 said:
PNW":2kfpqhl8 said:

More surface level analysis that is rife with concrete statements that aren't backed in reality.

Gilmore, in zone snaps last year, allowed a below-50 completion percentage, and notched 2 interceptions. I don't know about you, but that doesn't necessarily sound very weak to me.

The fact that you are honestly trying to sit here and convince anyone that a defense on-pace to be the worst of all time has only ONE NEED and it's the defensive line is inconceivably naïve. We've watched the top 3 corners get toasted all year.

I'm not claiming Stephon Gilmore is the only missing piece. That'd be as stupid as thinking the only problem on defense is the defensive line. But, the coverage has been lacking, and a lot of the damage is coming WELL within the 2.6-3 seconds it'd take a good pass rush to get to the QB anyway. Indicates a fault in coverage. It's pretty well established that the correlation between pass coverage and winning is stronger than that between pass rush and winning, so why anyone would turn up their nose at a top-tier corner who was DPOY last year is beyond my comprehension.

Also, prove to me that Collier is playing badly for a guy playing his first 6 healthy games. Please, do it. If you think QJeff was good but Collier is bad, I got news for ya: you're biased against Collier because of his disappointing 2019. It's the only explanation there is.
Gilmore is a shell of himself this year cool story hahaha he’s gotten a chance and failed so far. You love wasting $13million on a man to man corner playing zone okay lol (nahmdi asomugha), we will see if the coaches share your same point of view, if they do they’ll go get him hahaha

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":227phx0h said:
FearTheHawk":227phx0h said:
Stats dont lie, Gilmore: pff 61 ranking, 24 targets, 15 receptions with 1 int making 13,000,000 this year
Griffin: pff 59.7 ranking, 43 targets, 29 receptions with 2 int making 2,133,000 this year

We got Adams, Dunbar, Griffin, Diggs, Ugo, Neal......we need to get pressure on QB’s we don’t need Gilmore, a man to man overly price corner failing in zone coverage because that’s his weakness. Were you guys not around for the failed nahmdi asomugha experiment by the eagles where they turned a great lock down corner into a zone corner???? I agree with getting more DL, getting a CB like Gilmore at his price right now makes no sense.

Stats don't lie, but they need to be applied with proper context. You're misrepresenting Gilmore's historical performance in zone coverage to fit your own argument, while using an outlier season with his whole team being horrible as an irrefutable indication of his value.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I 100% agree that Norton has to go. He's atrocious. But it isn't gonna happen mid season. It's not Pete's style. So we make the best of it. At the least, I hope they release tre soon. I'll watch literally anyone in the NFL or on the street over him right now.