Seahawks release Al Woods

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Going into the offseason I thought Siaki Ika would be a top draft choice after Jalen Carter...But it looks like Miza Smith and Keeanu Benton have really shown their value.
Benton highlights

Maybe Carter has shown that he is not a top 10 draft choice.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Interesting.

I want to believe this means A’Shawn Robinson is going to be a Seahawk.

We released Woods just after Robinson had a visit with the Giants. And Robinson is pretty much a younger version of Woods.

Also, is it crazy to think that if Jefferson, Harris, and Woods are still on the market post draft the Seahawks could possibly bring 1 or 2 back at a relatively cheaper rate if the need is there?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not surprised only because his workload reduced to just 39% of defensive snaps last season at age 35 and it was going to go down again from there. The role is still important but if anything it's probably one year too late to replace him with a younger player.

I think you nailed it. Numbers from OTC follow ......

Big Al had a year off from the game (2020) which he credited as having allowed his body time to heal up. His snap percentage went from 46.8% in 2021 to 31.1% in 2022. One always wonders about how quickly an aging player can recover their wind and legs going forward.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Going into the offseason I thought Siaki Ika would be a top draft choice after Jalen Carter...But it looks like Miza Smith and Keeanu Benton have really shown their value.
Benton highlights

Maybe Carter has shown that he is not a top 10 draft choice.

Ika & Mazi Smith are both very appealing as NT's. Benton played some Nose in college. But he's likely more of a penetrating 3T at the next level.

I think Carter is pretty much off their radar if we're being honest. Just too many red flags.

nwHawk

Reaction score
DL just got completely blown up!

Good. It’s sucked for a while. When you hit rock bottom it’s time to start over. Loved big Al, but I’m glad to see this unit get a massive overhaul. Keep improving.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Kind of shocked about this one since Woods was the only healthy NT on the roster. Mone is lucky he’s injured otherwise he’d be cut too. This purge is indicative of who PC believes is at fault for the run defense woes last season.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Wow, thank you, nanomoz! I just watched the Mazi Smith highlights and he looks really impressive. Not just big...but athletic and dominating!!!

I'd be shocked if he's not high on Pete and John's draft board. But if they want him, they shouldn't d!ck around with it. I'd be fine with him in the late first.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I want to believe this means A’Shawn Robinson is going to be a Seahawk.

We released Woods just after Robinson had a visit with the Giants. And Robinson is pretty much a younger version of Woods.

Also, is it crazy to think that if Jefferson, Harris, and Woods are still on the market post draft the Seahawks could possibly bring 1 or 2 back at a relatively cheaper rate if the need is there?

I will also add that it doesn’t make sense to release Woods now if the plan is to take a NT type in the draft. Why show your hand when you have a month or two to get rookies under contract and figure out the cap.

Releasing Jefferson and Harris were almost simultaneous lateral moves in conjunction to bringing in Jones and Reed.

So I’m thinking releasing Woods also has to be another lateral move in bringing in another NT.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Carter is a 3tech. A DE in a 3-4. He's not a NT.
Several of the pundits I've heard seem to think Jalen Carter could play Nose Tackle at the NFL level just fine. Not saying the Seahawks will draft him, and if they did would use him at NT, simply saying it's within the realm of possibility. Pete would put him wherever he felt he'd make the team strongest, 3-4 DE or NT.

Al Woods has been a great Seahawk and I wouldn't be surprised if the team is telling him to stay in shape, get healed and healthy, and be ready for a call in November. In any case, I'm in the camp that says the Hawks will draft some young NT candidates. No idea if Woods will choose to play somewhere else instead of retiring.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maybe a Smokescreen so people think we are going to draft Carter who could probablybeef up and play NT.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are setting things up, someone else will be let go I am thinking with a big salary or a major restructure coming, John and Pete don't like to be short on cash to pick up F.A. on the fly and after June cuts.

Mick063

Reaction score
Trade for Grady Jarrett. Throw Adams into the deal and be willing to eat some of his salary to get it done.

Joking aside, if Carter could approximate Jarrett, he is well worth the pick at #5. Carter picked up nine pounds for pro day. OK, he is apparently pining for nose tackle anyway. Jarrett is one of the most consistently impactful nose tackles I have ever seen. He was the biggest reason that Seattle lost to Atlanta last year. He dominated the Seattle interior line in the fourth quarter. I want a guy like that.

Last edited:

massari

Reaction score
Carter picked up nine pounds for pro day. OK, he is apparently pining for nose tackle anyway.
How would adding more weight work for him and his conditioning when he can barely stay on the field as is?

Mick063

Reaction score
How would adding more weight work for him and his conditioning when he can barely stay on the field as is?

View attachment 58374

I'm not buying the part about "barely stay on the field". Two months ago, he was projected to go first over all in many mocks. "Barely stay on the field" guys don't rise to that level of desirability. He must have done something right to get to that level. I never once heard that comment when he played at Georgia and if I did, he wouldn't have been projected so high.
I think a lot of the bad press is pre-draft smoke screen and "click on my link" speculation.

Last edited: