Seahawks rank 27th in Run Scheme Diversity

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Seattle's run scheme diversity (or lack thereof) ranks 27th out of 32 teams. Talk about vanilla.

seabowl

Reaction score
Hence why Eric Biennemy said Seattle is easy to game plan for because you know what you’re gonna get. I think mine, and everyone else’s issue is not the predictable defense, but rather , last game they were playing zone when the Cowboys were at our 7 yard line. What coach with any type of experience plays zone on your own 7 yard line?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Seattle's run scheme diversity (or lack thereof) ranks 27th out of 32 teams. Talk about vanilla.

Just sad.

I want a double handoff flea flicker, goddamn it! I'm serious. (or double flea flicker, or whatever it's actually called). I want split RB sets. I want ANYTHING but what we've been doing.

The lack of adaptability/creativity in the playcalling is just retarded.

renofox

Reaction score
Maybe PC is trying to emulate Vince Lombardi, the guy who called the stretch run 40% of plays but refined it so much he could give week long seminars on that one play. It took the opposition over a decade to figure out how to stop the Packers from being successful with that playcall.

Kinda fits with PCs "We won't try to disguise anything - we'll just line up and do it better than you can" mentality.

The days of that strategy working are long behind us, but PC can't seem to grasp that basic fact.

rcaido

Reaction score
Well the 49ers is ranked 28th.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Maybe PC is trying to emulate Vince Lombardi, the guy who called the stretch run 40% of plays but refined it so much he could give week long seminars on that one play. It took the opposition over a decade to figure out how to stop the Packers from being successful with that playcall.

Kinda fits with PCs "We won't try to disguise anything - we'll just line up and do it better than you can" mentality.

The days of that strategy working are long behind us, but PC can't seem to grasp that basic fact.

We only got away with that when we had an all-time top 15 (arguably top 10) defense.

renofox

Reaction score
We only got away with that when we had an all-time top 15 (arguably top 10) defense.
And to achieve that, it required pro-bowl, all-pro, or HOF level players at nearly every position.

With that level of talent, the Seahawks should have had a minimum of 3 Lombardi's with a top-10 coaching staff.

It was a magnificent combination of extreme skill and outrageous luck to assemble that roster. Too bad that so little came from it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You don't go seven quarters without a TD with two very talented RB's, a competent veteran QB, three above average WR's and three good TE's without something VERY wrong with how predictable your offensive schemes and playcalling are.

Yeah the line hasn't been great this year, but for this team to be this predictable on both sides of the ball? Not hard to figure out this mystery..........it's the coaching. MORE than enough talent to be much much more consistent, again on both sides of the ball.

The NFL game has passed Pete by, it's time.

knownone

Reaction score
The Niners arguably have the best offensive scheme in the league and, according to the graphic, are less diverse than ours. Perhaps this doesn't say what some think it says.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
And to achieve that, it required pro-bowl, all-pro, or HOF level players at nearly every position.

With that level of talent, the Seahawks should have had a minimum of 3 Lombardi's with a top-10 coaching staff.

It was a magnificent combination of extreme skill and outrageous luck to assemble that roster. Too bad that so little came from it.

3 Lombardis? How many did the famed Baltimore Raven Defence or TB Buc defence win with arguably better defences? That's right, same as the Seahawks. It's rare for a dynasty to be built on a great defence. It almost always takes an elite QB and an elite coach to enter dynasty land. In the free agent/ salary cap world, only one team has done it. And maybe Reid and Mahomes will be the next.

It's hard to win Lombardis. Especially with only a world class defence.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would argue a couple of the better run offenses are in the same territory. The Niners are unique because it is basic but they disguise it well so it’s still tough on defenses and a lot of their success is the similarity of all their plays

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I would argue a couple of the better run offenses are in the same territory. The Niners are unique because it is basic but they disguise it well so it’s still tough on defenses and a lot of their success is the similarity of all their plays
Good point. A few of those top teams suck ass at running and a few of the better ones are in that bottom 5. The versatility doesn't necessarily lend itself to success, clearly.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
In fact, it may be more indicative of unsuccessful teams trying the kitchen sink. The Eagles run it at will, it'd probably be bad of them to NOT be running the staples.

EasyEd48

Reaction score
Hey All,

Posts like the last one just frustrate people who can see the main issue.

It is simple simple simple. You cannot cannot cannot play successful power football when you don't have the size muscle strength skill to play simple straightforward my guys are more powerful than your guys power football - especially with respect to the offensive and defensive lines. It really is really is that simple. Totally that simple.

You have to have to use alternative offensive game plans. The Seahawks do occasionally show flashes of this ability. They do have the skill players. The Seahawks coaching staff simply don't have the brains or imagination to comprehend this. As a result the fans and players are frustrated in addition to a losing football team while the power teams of the NFL laugh.

I guess this is what the Seahawks coaching staff believes Seattle deserves.

-Ed-

Weadoption

Reaction score
Diversity is important, giving a white running back a chance to contribute has really paid off for SF. I was apprehensive at first, but once you embrace inclusivity, let’s face it we all win.

EasyEd48

Reaction score
Hey All,

A quick followup.

I said you must change your offensive schemes (and defensive but we will focus on offense) when you don't have players good enough to implement the offense you want to play. As a set of coaches you must simply must have that mental flexibility or you don't deserve your job.

We have seen the predictability of the Seattle run game - now look at the ability of the offensive line to protect the QB.

I think coaches need to plan offensive schemes for all possible scenarios. For example - what if we lose both offensive tackles in the first game - how do we change our entire offense - our entire offensive philosophy? Did Seattle do this? I don't think so. The coaches basically decided we stay with our scheme and substitute players. A guaranteed fail especially when you have the skill players to totally change. Seattle fans were failed by the coaches.

Yes I believe you must be prepared for anything. You must have the ability to for example within a week or two totally change from a drop back passing to a rollout moving pocket fran Tarkington type offense.

I think that as a coaching staff you do have the responsibility and obligation to change that much that fast. If you don't have it you are fundamentally incompetent.

Let's see what sunday against the niners bring.

-Ed-