Reaction score
I like any method that isn't what we did last year
I think this is gonna benefit us in multiple ways
I thought the analysis wasn't too bad actually
Looks good on paper anyway lol
Go Hawks

Jville

Reaction score
Look and see if this has been posted. This guy breaks down McDonald's scheme regarding the run in an interesting way. It proves to me that I really don't know anything about football. Self depreciating humor aside, have a look if you are so inclined.

For me, that pod cast featured reaches in inference along with novel lexicon and descriptions.

Thanks for posting, but the pod cast wasn't all that useful or informative for me.

What I do know is that talent dictates scheme. What that brings ....... is yet to be unveiled.

Looking forward to the great unveiling ..... one game at a time.

Last edited:

McGruff

Reaction score
It was all a very convoluted way of saying we will play a ton more cover two. Which makes sense with Jenkins and Love being more versatile, interchangeable cover based safeties.

It also mean we will likely struggle against the run by design.

McGruff

Reaction score
Wallace is the odd one. He is more of a box safety. Not sure where he fits.

Same goes with the draft linebacker. The starters are both rangy coverage guys and he is a box LB.

Will be interesting to see where all the pieces fit.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Run defense is where I'm concerned. The Ravens were actually pretty bad down the stretch in run defense, especially on early downs.

Stats from Sharp:
Since Week 10, the Ravens run defense ranks:

• #28 in success rate allowed
  • #27 in EPA/rush allowed
  • #17 in YPC allowed
  • #23 in yards after contact per run allowed
On early downs in the first half of games, it has been even worse:

• #32 in success rate allowed
  • #32 in EPA/rush allowed
  • #25 in YPC allowed
  • #28 in yards after contact per run allowed
The pod touches on the Ravens run fits being light, which aids coverage on the backend. It also touches on the Ravens D being generally fine with giving up a decent rush on early downs. This was exploited a bit as the year wore on.

Run defense is what has me tempering my expectations for this first-year Macdonald defense.

McGruff

Reaction score
Any time you run Cover-2, you are vulnerable to the run. It’s what made Wilson’s/Waldron’s dogmatic desire to throw against cover 2 so maddening

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think McDonald had his pick of jobs, and chose the Seahawks based on D-Line talent, and John Schneider's philosophy. I think JS is more "start in the trenches" than Pet was, and this will benefit the defense.

With our D-Line talent (Hankins, JReed, Weaver, Byron, etc, etc), I think McDonald will adjust his defense to "stop the run" on early downs, then tear up the QB on 2nd and 3rd downs. Where do I get these 'feelings?' I cram all I see and read in to my brain, let it gestate, then spit it out through my "keyboard konsciensceness." Which means nothing. But it sounds great.

But seriously, I think our defense is going to kick ass right out of the gate.

OP
OP
MORGULON

MORGULON

Reaction score
I agree with many people in that the defense is going to be exciting to watch.