Seahawks can now begin contract talk with 2011 draft class

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don't think any of those guys will get extensions this offseason.

James Carpenter - Pass. Not deserving.

KJ Wright - Wont tie money up in LB, not an extraordinary player. Draft to replace. <-- someone will pay him more than we want to, I think.

Richard Sherman - Talks will be long and complicated. Will come down to a tag situation.

Byron Maxwell - Will be starting next season, can make more money by waiting on contract.

Malcolm Smith - Could be starting next season over KJ or others, probably best for him to wait.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I dont think malcolm will be starting over kj.
Hes just the new kool toy. but ya never know..

I think Thomas, Sherman, Tate, baldwin get re upped this year.
Next year they see what washes out.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The nice thing about being able to negotiate a year before the contract expires, is that the team can hang the prospect of playing an extra year on their rookie deal over their head instead of taking a smaller yearly hit. You could make 14 million NEXT year, or 10 million right now and only after a few years will you be making a few bucks more. Sherman shouldn't be looking for Revis money since he stands to make such a gigantic raise this year. Playing on your rookie contract the 4th year if you are Sherman means you are going to spend the rest of the contract making up the $$$ you lost out on that year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2278z5n4 said:
I really HATE the salary cap. Especially when we have a filthy rich owner that we sure could have used before the damn cap came along. Crap, this sucks.....

While I agree we'd have one of the biggest payrolls in the league with no cap, I think the NFL is the greatest league in sports because of the combo of no guaranteed contracts AND cap............which equals parity. No other league can promise you that you're terrible 2-14 team has a chance the next year of winning a Super Bowl.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree with Absolut that it isn't best for any of these guys on low rookie contracts to wait.

A guy like Malcolm Smith will have earned $2m total if he plays out his current deal through 2014, but a lot of that has probably gone to taxes, a house purchase, family and friends, etc. There is a lot of risk that comes with playing in the NFL and no way of being certain that he will even get a big payday in 2015, so the notion of getting a multi-million dollar bonus right now is hugely attractive.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2l3k7rke said:
The nice thing about being able to negotiate a year before the contract expires, is that the team can hang the prospect of playing an extra year on their rookie deal over their head instead of taking a smaller yearly hit. You could make 14 million NEXT year, or 10 million right now and only after a few years will you be making a few bucks more. Sherman shouldn't be looking for Revis money since he stands to make such a gigantic raise this year. Playing on your rookie contract the 4th year if you are Sherman means you are going to spend the rest of the contract making up the $$$ you lost out on that year.

Not to mention you could get injured and lose it all. Take the money while you can, you then get to work on your 3rd contract 1 year earlier as well possibly.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Cap hits and salaries aside, which of these guys would we want to have to face if they leave, for say an inter division rival? Carpenter I am not too worried about. I think of the bunch Sherman is the most pressing concern. His type of talent simply does not fall from the sky! As others have said KJ and Malcolm are players that COULD likely be covered in FA or the draft. Maxwell is coming into his own right now and if his Manager is worth a damn he is going to leverage that to the hilt. All of this hinges on what kind of deals the FO is working towards with ETIII and young Mr. Wilson in the coming years!

Going to be some pain coming!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, this FO already created a history of getting things done with a contract in plenty of time when they re-signed Kam last offseason. I look for more of the same with most of these guys including and especially Sherm. And don't forget how smart Richard is as well. He knows how it is here in terms of talent, coaching and especially teammates. He talks a LOT about the LOB which tells me being part of that group means a helluva lot to him.

Will I

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3o4r1pww said:
One thing to keep in mind, this FO already created a history of getting things done with a contract in plenty of time when they re-signed Kam last offseason. I look for more of the same with most of these guys including and especially Sherm. And don't forget how smart Richard is as well. He knows how it is here in terms of talent, coaching and especially teammates. He talks a LOT about the LOB which tells me being part of that group means a helluva lot to him.

This is exactly what I think & hope is true as well.

Will I

Reaction score
Want to add that there is a bit of a home town discount in Seattle... WA has no state tax. That's a lot of extra coin in a players pocket. WA is not the only state, but it helps. FL and TX are two others I can think of off hand.

Dreo

Reaction score
AgentDib":93bfe64a said:
NFL League Calendar":93bfe64a said:
12/30/13: Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.

James Carpenter
2014: $1.4m base, $2.4m cap hit

KJ Wright
2014: $645k base, $766k cap hit

Richard Sherman
2014: $645k base, $690k cap hit

Byron Maxwell
2014: $645k base, $670k cap hit

Malcolm Smith
2014: $645k base, $655k cap hit

Wright, Sherman, Maxwell and Smith all look like great candidates for extensions.

Looking at that list reminds me of how good that draft turned out to be. Except for Carpenter, imo.

The only way, in my completely amateur opinion, I can see re-signing all of them to fair market contracts would be to:

- Cut Rice
- Restructure Miller's contract
- Restructure Red's contract
- Do not sign either BB or Thurmond
- Let a couple of the D-Line guys walk
- Let Carpenter or McQuistan walk

I don't like any of those options. And we haven't even looked at what needs to get done to keep Tate and Baldwin too.

Ouch.

Geologic

Reaction score
All this talk about extending Maxwell makes me think we might let WT3 go in free agency

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
Sherman's city and teammates love him, but he has made a lot of enemies. He might not like how other non seahawk players treat him in a new locker room. He also has to look at what happened to revis. Less talent around revis= a bridge onto revis island

Chapman

Reaction score
Wow Roland,
You must really like Sherman. You begged God for something, thats not like you at all. :3-1:

HawkMeat

Reaction score
seahawksfanatic000":1xsy6npp said:
Sherman's city and teammates love him, but he has made a lot of enemies. He might not like how other non seahawk players treat him in a new locker room. He also has to look at what happened to revis. Less talent around revis= a bridge onto revis island
Winning solves all problems. Enemies disappear with wins too.

I think Sherm does make good coin off of our fans with clothing and other marketing be does. He could gain that in another state, but it may not be as lucrative. I don't believe home town discounts occur often especially in NFL, and he will get paid.

ET, Okung, and then Sherm in that order.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Geologic":hg8j1ekv said:
All this talk about extending Maxwell makes me think we might let WT3 go in free agency
I would take the risk on Maxwell before WT3. Yes please

ceej22

Reaction score
morgulon1":1ahmdx9h said:
I have a feeling he'll be the one. I absolutely love Sherman but out of all the players coming up on a contract, who's going to command the most?
#25 is going to get Crazy $ probably the most ever for a cb, the way the Seahawks plug replacement cbs in is uncanny. We lose 2 of our three starting
corners and never miss a beat. Now I know Sherman is special but #3 is going to get paid 1st.

Hell, I don't know I could be wrong. Thoughts?

IMO, they will keep Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson. Everyone else is replaceable. Those guys are not as easily replaceable. To stay on top JS/PC will have to continue to hit in the draft and find role players in FA for cheap. Our window could slam shut in 2015 if they miss in the next 2 drafts. I know Sherman can command $12 mill/yr but if they get him on an extension this offseason I believe they will get him at a discount. How much of a discount only Sherman knows. I have heard plenty of interviews with him, Thomas, and Chancellor about them wanting to play their whole careers together. They aren't dumb and know they will have to make sacrifices to make that happen. However, everyone has a price and if they let him test free agency then I think he will get paid.

TJH

Reaction score
Mark my words, Sherman is gone. Probably end up with 100 million from Washington or Dallas.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not too sure how this works but aren't some of these players eligible to be a "Restricted Free Agent (RFA)". In that case don't the Seahawks have to make a qualifying offer and be eligible to retain their rights?

Latest posts