Seahawks are Super petty

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
This is really a nothing burger. As others have said he will probably change his number after cut downs. I don’t think would want the number anyways. There are limited number of #’s to hand out but I am sure if the organization was really protective they would have not done it. Doesn't anyone else see the irony in the whole thing anyways? Artie BURNS. Hahaha. I love it. Whoever had this idea it was funny to me. It’s just pre-season anyways. Besides the Hawks have not been historically good about protecting numbers. 25 is currently being used. I do also remember number 80 gettin used and IMHO that is more of a crime than this.

Boohman14

Reaction score
This is really a nothing burger. As others have said he will probably change his number after cut downs. I don’t think would want the number anyways. There are limited number of #’s to hand out but I am sure if the organization was really protective they would have not done it. Doesn't anyone else see the irony in the whole thing anyways? Artie BURNS. Hahaha. I love it. Whoever had this idea it was funny to me. It’s just pre-season anyways. Besides the Hawks have not been historically good about protecting numbers. 25 is currently being used. I do also remember number 80 gettin used and IMHO that is more of a crime than this.
Well, we gave #80 to Jerry Rice with Steve Largent's blessing. HOF'er to HOF'er.

GemCity

Reaction score
I have two Wilson #3 jerseys. The good ones. The official NFL jersey types. One was signed by the man, the myth, the rider…me3 himself.

I’ll send them to anyone that wants them.

Need to mention that they’re in ashes as I burnt them both.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I have two Wilson #3 jerseys. The good ones. The official NFL jersey types. One was signed by the man, the myth, the rider…me3 himself.

I’ll send them to anyone that wants them.

Need to mention that they’re in ashes as I burnt them both.
My Wilson and etiii jerseys went to goodwill. Kept lynch and customized super bowl 48 jerseys. Won't be buying any more jerseys.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It might have been better to have waited a couple of years before they re-issued the number, but there's not a snowball's chance in the lower reaches that Russell's number will ever be retired. Even if he makes the HOF, which at this point seems unlikely, he burned enough bridges in forcing his way out that I doubt we'd consider retiring his number. But he should be a slam dunk for ROH some day.

So I come down more on the nothingburger side than I do the outrage side.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
No. 3 should be given to the 3rd/PS QBs moving forward.

KinesProf

Reaction score
3 shouldn't be retired, regardless of how the breakup happened.

Russ doesn't meet the justifiably high standards for jersey retirement with the Seahawks. He's a Ring of Honour level player - no shame in that.

The standard for jersey retirement with the Seahawks is guys who spent extended periods of time as the top 1-2 players at their position, 1st Team All-Pro, Hall of Fame level players. Russ was very good, but he wasn't that. Tez, Largent, Easley, Jones and Wagner.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
As long as the agreement is that Artie burns switches to a different number if he makes the team, then I'm okay with it. You have 90 guys and only so many 2 digit numbers.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
As long as the agreement is that Artie burns switches to a different number if he makes the team, then I'm okay with it. You have 90 guys and only so many 2 digit numbers.
Why must 3 be protected if he's not in the HOF or ROH? Russ left the team and did so in a way that made most fans cringe. I see no issue with Burns wearing it during the regular season if he wins a spot. Now he may decide the drama is not worth it...but 3 is the same as all other numbers not hanging from the rafters IMO.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I seriously question your fandom if you think RW guided us to a SB. With that team all we needed was some one to be evasive, hand off and be smart with the ball. He is limited by his height and couldn’t carry this team. The truth is he aspires to be Brees but he really isn’t nearly as good.
You can argue the semantics of "guided" but although they were a defense oriented team, the offense still needed to produce and he did so at NFL record pace. QBs guide the offense regardless if they're the best player on the squad. Of course, having Lynch and the benefit of a shut down defense's contribution to offense was a large part of his success but we still need to give him credit for his accomplishments in the good years despite him turning into a bitch in the later years. It wasn't like he was Dilfer. His running ability, perfect deep ball, and refusal to get down on whatever situation they were facing were absolute tent poles of the offense. I'm not a Me3 apologist, I'm glad he's gone and still utterly confused what the hell he was thinking in throwing away a borderline HoF career for his ego, but dismissing his real accomplishments in the first half of his career here is just silly and revisionist.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Why must 3 be protected if he's not in the HOF or ROH? Russ left the team and did so in a way that made most fans cringe. I see no issue with Burns wearing it during the regular season if he wins a spot. Now he may decide the drama is not worth it...but 3 is the same as all other numbers not hanging from the rafters IMO.
If someone else can wear 25, 31, or 24 then absolutely 3 is up for grabs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a freaking Bronco and wanted to be traded from Seattle, who cares about his old number it was available and the team assigned it to Burns.

Disrespect??? Not on your life.

Frankly I'd suspect that Artie Burns will change numbers once the cuts to 53 happen. This is a non-starter.