Schneider to speak to media 11am PST today

renofox

Reaction score
He’s in control of all the coaching staff choices now. Hc, OC, DC
And he described is as "contractual".

Which means not only did he make sure his contract extended to a few years after PC left, he also made them promise, in writing, that he could fully run the show after PC was gone.

Good negotiator!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I think he's going offensive coach based on the answer at the end of the press conference. I know he listed the problem of losing both but the defensive guy seemed to be thrown in after the fact. Completely reading into it but that's the vibe I got.
I kinda got that sense too when he was talking about the issues with a QB when an OC gets hired away.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Interesting John used the word "stale"...then he tried to walk it back when pressed on using the word stale.

Glad that the Brass felt more compelled to act on "stale" than not to act due to "culture".

GemCity

Reaction score
He touched on ‘culture’ quite a bit. Bits and pieces of his presser had DQ written all over it.

But, I also think JS throws smokescreens as good as anybody.

knownone

Reaction score
It's probably just John's personality not being a match for the setting, but nothing about that press conference inspired confidence.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's probably just John's personality not being a match for the setting, but nothing about that press conference inspired confidence.

What would you have liked him to say that would inspire confidence for you?

He said what we've all been saying for years........the message and play was stale and not working, they underachieved this year when they should have taken a step forward, etc. etc.

We don't want more Pete everything's amazing glass half full BS, and IMO John nailed that truthful no BS tone that most fans were looking for.

i.e., "not gonna blow it up, this roster has the potential to be a Championship roster and we're going in a new direction."

SeaWolv

Reaction score
So pretty much your typical press conference.

knownone

Reaction score

He said what we've all been saying for years........the message and play was stale and not working, they underachieved this year when they should have taken a step forward, etc. etc.

We don't want more Pete everything's amazing glass half full BS, and IMO John nailed that truthful no BS tone that most fans were looking for.

i.e., "not gonna blow it up, this roster has the potential to be a Championship roster and we're going in a new direction."
We?

John looked visibly uncomfortable at points. He gave pretty good answers. He offered some clarity on who was calling the shots and how he viewed Seattle's culture. But nothing about it inspired confidence in the team's direction.

If you feel differently, that's great.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We?

John looked visibly uncomfortable at points. He gave pretty good answers. He offered some clarity on who was calling the shots and how he viewed Seattle's culture. But nothing about it inspired confidence in the team's direction.

If you feel differently, that's great.

Yes, I guess I was being presumptive as many fans wanted Pete to stay.

But you didn't answer my question, what did you want to hear John say to inspire confidence for you? All you said above is he was uncomfortable, so better body language?

Seems the content of his words should be the most important part, not his delivery or speaking demeanor.

Wheetie

Reaction score

It'll be fascinating to see how this roster performs under a new regime. A lot of players currently labeled as "busts" will likely surprise a lot of people with their success in a new scheme brought in by fresh coaches.

knownone

Reaction score
Yes, I guess I was being presumptive as many fans wanted Pete to stay.

But you didn't answer my question, what did you want to hear John say to inspire confidence for you? All you said above is he was uncomfortable, so better body language?

Seems the content of his words should be the most important part, not his delivery or speaking demeanor.
The delivery is everything, which is why I included that caveat in my original post. I think John would have done a better job articulating his message in a less formal setting.

I didn't hear a coherent plan for the franchise moving forward. I learned about his history, how he views Seattle's culture, and what he looks for in the next coach. But very little about what he expects that future to look like. What does his vision of the team look like, and how does he intend to bring that vision to life? The messaging was muddled, maybe because John's not good in these settings. Either way, nothing about it inspired confidence in me.

renofox

Reaction score
His demeanor (came across as slightly nervous, disorganized, and unclear) wasn't the greatest, but I give him a total pass.

First presser as The Guy along with still trying to absorb the implications of his new role while dealing with 18 hour days on this coaching search. His head is probably still spinning a little and it will take a few weeks for him to settle in.

It also takes quite a few pressers to develop your style and feel comfortable.

renofox

Reaction score
The delivery is everything, which is why I included that caveat in my original post. I think John would have done a better job articulating his message in a less formal setting.

I didn't hear a coherent plan for the franchise moving forward. I learned about his history, how he views Seattle's culture, and what he looks for in the next coach. But very little about what he expects that future to look like. What does his vision of the team look like, and how does he intend to bring that vision to life? The messaging was muddled, maybe because John's not good in these settings. Either way, nothing about it inspired confidence in me.
I think John won't feel comfortable with developing either a primary vision or the concomitant talking points until after he has spent plenty of time with the new HC.

His whole career has been collaborative and he even stressed that as a big point in the little info he gave regarding the new HC hire. He's a touch out of his depth and flying solo, and waiting to work with a partner (new HC) can be a good thing for many personalities.

Remember, PC referred to their working relationship as a marriage. I think that's what John still needs to excel.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m excited he appears to be looking for an offensive minded coach.