Salary Cap- Cap Increase

12forlife

Reaction score
I'm looking at it more from a cap perspective. But you're right about the Base Salary, roster bonuses, etc.

I would've preferred to keep him around just based on the dead money alone lol.
I'll ask the question? What does keeping Geno do for our "New Regime", as for now or in the future?
1. Do you honestly believe Geno Smith can win you a SB? IMO that is a hard NO.
2. Why waste everyone's time while our new coaching staff is figuring things out, and implementing the new Offense. Why would they put all that time into a 1-2yr rental? Stop kicking the can down the road, and need to draft a rookie QB this year!
3. By not taking the $22.5 mil in savings it may keep us from pursuing young FA that could help mold this team moving forward, Geno is not molding our future.
4. Now I'm not about "tanking", but what does Geno dragging us along to another .500 record do for us? Are we all warm and fuzzy because we made the wildcard rd, and lose? Which in turn leaves a young rebuilding team drafting in the dead spot of the draft 20-22? Your not getting a top 10 talent, and no one wants to trade to the bottom 1/3 of the 1st rd.
5. Look like it or not, Pete hitched his wagon to Geno, and obviously wasn't looking to improve at the position., and it got him fired. J/S has apparently not learned his lesson about spending money where it shouldn't be?

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'll ask the question? What does keeping Geno do for our "New Regime", as for now or in the future?
2. Why waste everyone's time while our new coaching staff is figuring things out, and implementing the new Offense. Why would they put all that time into a 1-2yr rental? Stop kicking the can down the road, and need to draft a rookie QB this year!
3. By not taking the $22.5 mil in savings it may keep us from pursuing young FA that could help mold this team moving forward, Geno is not molding our future.
4. Now I'm not about "tanking", but what does Geno dragging us along to another .500 record do for us? Are we all warm and fuzzy because we made the wildcard rd, and lose? Which in turn leaves a young rebuilding team drafting in the dead spot of the draft 20-22? Your not getting a top 10 talent, and no one wants to trade to the bottom 1/3 of the 1st rd.
5. Look like it or not, Pete hitched his wagon to Geno, and obviously wasn't looking to improve at the position., and it got him fired. J/S has apparently not learned his lesson about spending money where it shouldn't be?
1. The staff clearly sees him as someone they can win with.
2. $22M is not a lot of money for a good starting QB. His cap number is 16th among starters. Middle of the pack.
3. They're in a spot (Draft, cap wise) where they don't think they can upgrade the position at the moment. But they also still want to build out the team.

Coaches & Front office personnel want to win as many games as possible. Because they're worried about job security. One bad season can get them fired. They don't view things from a long-term outlook necessarily. They want to be competitive & win now. You may not agree with the logic of certain decisions. But this is reality.

They still have the option of drafting someone this year & having him sit.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Geno does not have to win a Super Bowl, he just has to not lose one ( Enter Russell Wilson and Bevell) he is so much better then you give him credit for. He has low mileage, he is a leader, he does have tendencies at time to lock on guys, but we can do so much worse, picking a guy like Aaron Rodgers to sit behind him is a practical solution. Yeah Aaron was picked at 24, look where Levis was picked 33 Bennett who filled in nicely in the 4th round. You don't need a top ten pick, just good homework and due diligence, do your own work and quit reading headlines.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
Two year extension for significantly less money/year to spread the current hit out
An extension at his age, is a difficult one to get behind. I think I would let him playout his contract. But I'm not totally against a Post June 1st release.

bigcc

Reaction score
An extension at his age, is a difficult one to get behind. I think I would let him playout his contract. But I'm not totally against a Post June 1st release.
Problem with post June 1 is that it's essentially useless for FA.

The 2 year extension would run through him being 35, but it'd be back loaded and the last year, if not two could be washable.

hawks85

Reaction score
The team has $12.9 million in available cap space (total).

Basically $7.8 million in effective cap space, when you also factor in the cost of draft picks.

But there will be other costs that will come into play. So, they don't have a ton of wiggle room at the moment.
Oh Ok. I'm assuming more restructures and or cuts are looming ahead. I think we won't sign to many FA, but the ones we do sign are going to be from the Ravens defense FA's, I hope.

sutz

Reaction score

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
1. Yes, because teams have won with QBs who have been worse than Geno this year and much, much worse than he was last year. The idea that Geno's ceiling is keeping us from winning a Super Bowl isn't based on anything but inaccurate preconceived notions about what you 'need' to win a Super Bowl. The Chiefs just rode their defense and special teams to a Super Bowl with just an 'above average' offense.

2. It's not wasting anyone's time to have a competent QB at the helm while you are literally implementing a brand new scheme. This also doesn't prevents us from drafting a QB this year and that new QB is not going to be doing nothing while Geno is here.

3. Yeah, but we weren't going to just 'have' 22.5 million. We still need a QB and while it's fun to wish-cast some hypothetical FA who was going to send us over the top, why are we even signing that guy this year if our plan is to suck? Any money wasted on Geno would be equally wasted on whatever FA you think we were going to get.

4. Teams improve drafting 'dead in the middle' all the time. Teams who suck often keep sucking. You say you aren't talking about tanking, but you are literally describing tanking. And what Geno 'dragging' us to a winning season does is help instill a winning culture.

It's easy for you to personally say you'd be happy for the Seahawks to suck for a year to get an imaginary draft haul that will catapult us to the Super Bowl in 2 years, but all you have to do for that is stare at your phone a little bit more while they're losing every Sunday. It's not quite the same for the players and coaches.

5. Geno didn't get Pete fired. Clint Hurtt got Pete fired.

Jville

Reaction score
That‘s a lot of money for what should be a 3rd WR. Love me some NoE, but it’s not value.

View attachment 65224

Guess it depends on what one values. Tyler is 2an all time in receptions, receiving yardage and touch downs. He owns the Seahawks all time highest catch percentage. Although, that stat category came into being only after the retirement of Yoda. Also known as Hall of Fame star Steve Largent.

When ya need to move the chains for another series of downs, whose number are you going to call? Why #16 if course. With any luck, he'll continue to contribute for another three or four years. After all, Yoda retired at age 35.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Guess it depends on what one values. Tyler is 2an all time in receptions, receiving yardage and touch downs. He owns the Seahawks all time highest catch percentage. Although, that stat category came into being only after the retirement of Yoda. Also known as Hall of Fame star Steve Largent.

When ya need to move the chains for another series of downs, whose number are you going to call? Why #16 if course. With any luck, he'll continue to contribute for another three or four years. After all, Yoda retired at age 35.
If he continues to protect himself and accepts a reduced workload, agreed he could play out a 4yr contract as Mr Clutch.

Hopefully he sees the value in being a career Seahawk and is open to a renegotiation.

Jville

Reaction score
If he continues to protect himself and accepts a reduced workload, agreed he could play out a 4yr contract as Mr Clutch.

Hopefully he sees the value in being a career Seahawk and is open to a renegotiation.

I'm not looking for phantom problems. Tyler has always been team oriented. He has always been trusted and counted on.

There will be plenty of snaps to go around. The receiving corps dealt with injuries thru out 2023. It's reasonable to assume that they will need to play thru injuries again in 2024. These receivers work at getting each other open. It's talked about often. It's a team sport.

12forlife

Reaction score
1. Yes, because teams have won with QBs who have been worse than Geno this year and much, much worse than he was last year. The idea that Geno's ceiling is keeping us from winning a Super Bowl isn't based on anything but inaccurate preconceived notions about what you 'need' to win a Super Bowl. The Chiefs just rode their defense and special teams to a Super Bowl with just an 'above average' offense.

2. It's not wasting anyone's time to have a competent QB at the helm while you are literally implementing a brand new scheme. This also doesn't prevents us from drafting a QB this year and that new QB is not going to be doing nothing while Geno is here.

3. Yeah, but we weren't going to just 'have' 22.5 million. We still need a QB and while it's fun to wish-cast some hypothetical FA who was going to send us over the top, why are we even signing that guy this year if our plan is to suck? Any money wasted on Geno would be equally wasted on whatever FA you think we were going to get.

4. Teams improve drafting 'dead in the middle' all the time. Teams who suck often keep sucking. You say you aren't talking about tanking, but you are literally describing tanking. And what Geno 'dragging' us to a winning season does is help instill a winning culture.

It's easy for you to personally say you'd be happy for the Seahawks to suck for a year to get an imaginary draft haul that will catapult us to the Super Bowl in 2 years, but all you have to do for that is stare at your phone a little bit more while they're losing every Sunday. It's not quite the same for the players and coaches.

5. Geno didn't get Pete fired. Clint Hurtt got Pete fired.
Well agree to disagree. No I don't ever want the Hawks to lose. "New Regime"
Makes more sense to move forward with a guy Menshew & Rookie. Naw your missing the obvious, but both Waldron & Hurtt did not help Pete's cause.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm not looking for phantom problems. Tyler has always been team oriented. He has always been trusted and counted on.

There will be plenty of snaps to go around. The receiving corps dealt with injuries thru out 2023. It's reasonable to assume that they will need to play thru injuries again in 2024. These receivers work at getting each other open. It's talked about often. It's a team sport.
Tyler's pay over the next two years isn't phantom problems.

We have the second highest paid wr room both this year and next.

Lockett counts 55 mil against the cap next two seasons, and while I love him as much as anyone, that number is just not reasonable.

35 of that 55 can be moved around, tack on 2/20 with a solid amount guaranteed to account for low salary, and even if the Restructure/extension was evenly spaced instead of backloaded (it wouldn't be that favorable for lockett), that 27.5/yr turns into 18.75.

I just can't find any excuse for justifying that price, 27.5/yr is lunacy for prime lockett, let alone 33 year old lock

Jville

Reaction score
Tyler's pay over the next two years isn't phantom problems.

We have the second highest paid wr room both this year and next.

Lockett counts 55 mil against the cap next two seasons, and while I love him as much as anyone, that number is just not reasonable.

35 of that 55 can be moved around, tack on 2/20 with a solid amount guaranteed to account for low salary, and even if the Restructure/extension was evenly spaced instead of backloaded (it wouldn't be that favorable for lockett), that 27.5/yr turns into 18.75.

I just can't find any excuse for justifying that price, 27.5/yr is lunacy for prime lockett, let alone 33 year old lock

My "phantom problem" remark was in response to an implied reduced role and 3rd receiver remarks. I added remarks about his performance and value in making the passing game go for 2024.

If some forum members want to fret over Tyler's numbers as a follow up to fretting over Geno's numbers, so be it. It's become something of a tradition during the silly season.

Jville

Reaction score
Following up ...... in regards for those who suffered thru fretting over Geno's cap numbers and face more of the same by fretting over Tyler's numbers, consider the following ........

Going from this ......

To a possible scenario of converting $14 million in 2023 salary into a new signing bonus prorated over 3 years ......

In this example, the 2024 cap number declines from $26,895,000 to $17,561,666. Thus creating an additional $9,333,334 in cap space. Note that published cap numbers doesn't necessarily reflect all individual contract details. The possibility of adding a year 2027 so as to convert salary to prorated bonus could be repeated in 2025. Actual base salary for added years will likely vary from the example numbers used. And there is the possibility of adding a void year.

That's why I'm chilling with the knowledge that the Seahawks have an in house cap guy on staff.

And, taking Ivar's advise to be clam.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

It’s not a problem with Tyler, it’s merely a path to maximize the value of a contract.

His upcoming 2yr cap hit exceeds the value of a 2B or 3A receiver. Stretch it out over a couple more years, add a little more money, and allow Tyler to retire as a Seattle sports icon.

That status has long term value in his current real estate ventures and any other regional endeavors.