"Russell is losing his mind out there" per Polumbus

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
On his first viewing, so instantly picked up the shot of Ciara getting backdoored at 005.

keasley45

Reaction score
But you're taking one side as fact without knowing anything. Are we implying DK is too dumb to figure it out himself? What was the effects of this supposed discussion? Who says he tried to convince DK and twist him into an "Anti-Pete"? This is all stuff we are making up or assuming. Russ didn't agree with Pete on how things should be done. It happens all the time, he got traded and they both get to do business now and suffer or reap the consequences. Ironically a lot of the things we're doing now are the things Russ wanted to do, so was Russ 100% wrong in not being a fan? Now we can laugh at Russ for not being patient and letting Waldron get settled in or we can say Waldron couldn't do this new stuff with Russ because he's not a good fit....both are viable.

I will again call out the "Russ couldn't run the offense" Russ was involved in a very, very good offense his whole time here so he obviously ran the offense fairly well that Pete laid out.

But having said all of that I'm not telling you what you can or can't believe. I think he definitely deserves a lot of blame for how things went and how things are going. I just think some of the character stuff is wild. But I understand a lot of it too, he has made it easy to criticize him because of some of his antics.

If he obviously steered Olson to believe Pete was handcuffing him and the offense, why would he not do the same with DK? So its obvious Russ twists narrative to protect himself, but youre saying now that he would have been truthful and told DK ' yeah... the offense isnt working and being simplified because Pete knows i cant read defenses...'? Because thats what woukd habe had to happen. Instead, Dk was talking all the same nonsense that the offense was limited because of Pete his rookie year. You do know that Russ strategically pulled DK into his 'let me continue to cook' campaign, right? DK was right there next to him on Fox pregame all buddied up and Russ was constantly praising the dude, buttering him up. Yes. He absolutely was too fresh to know the difference in the beginning, especially after 2020 when the shift from Russ cooking (and the failure of it that was obvious on tape) could be mistaken for Pete grabbing control and neutering the offense. But he obviously figured out the truth relatively quickly, when over and over again, the following season, he'd be running routes wide open and Russ wouldn't get him the ball. This is well documented on the forum via game tape. And his frustration boiled over last year on national TV in the game against Washington. And the pair went from best buds to their being an obvious rift.

And as to Russ running the offense here in Seattle effectively... that's also very obviously not true and also well documented and made even more clear this year with Geno's play. Russ rarely ever ran the intended offense while he was here. He ran HIS offense which consisted of a handful of plays HE was comfortable with and a lot of him just going off script and improvising. It's known that his improvisation worked... until it was entirely figured out by the league and his legs no longer afforded him the escapability to overcome his deficiencies. His play in Denver is nothing more than a continuation of a downward spiral that's been picking up speed since week 6 of the 2020 season.
But even before that, Russ created on his own, not because, he had to, but because he wanted to. And the offense, as a result, struggled in large part because of him (perennially average or worse on 3rd downs through the air) and also soared because of him when he freed himself from the restriction of having to read defenses to succeed and just bought time with his legs.

But run an offense effectively, he did not. All you have to do is listen to Pete talking about his offense this year to understand the truth of it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing from multiple former teammates of Russell's, so the perception is there by people who are/were "close" to Russ.

This (along with the product placement) definitely shades the good deeds, but doesn't take away from it completely. I do know there are many more professional athletes that do JUST as much community service and/or hospital visits and don't bring the camera crew to document.
Your friends with a bunch of ex teammates?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Pnw, remember when Bwags went into a Seattle supermarket before Thanksgiving and just bought everyone groceries for an hour? He didn’t even announce who he was, the public picked it up and made him go viral.

As opposed to Russ with that product placement for an Insignia clothing brand that Showed up in that first subway ad.

Bobby is A good man. Russ is the anti Bobby as hes actually using dying children to maximize his own product placement.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Your friends with a bunch of ex teammates?

No. One of my best friends is close to ADB, as I have said multiple times on this board. I have become casual friends with ADB since he has retired. Through ADB I've met probably 5-6 other prominent Seahawks from the Super Bowl team; all starters, mix of offensive and defensive players. I've had numerous conversations over the years with Russ' ex-teammates, very few of them have positive things to say about Russ. Most of them ask not to have anything attributed to them. Baldwin used to be the same way, but he doesn't really give a shit anymore now that he is so far removed from football.

toffee

Reaction score
No. One of my best friends is close to ADB, as I have said multiple times on this board. I have become casual friends with ADB since he has retired. Through ADB I've met probably 5-6 other prominent Seahawks from the Super Bowl team; all starters, mix of offensive and defensive players. I've had numerous conversations over the years with Russ' ex-teammates, very few of them have positive things to say about Russ. Most of them ask not to have anything attributed to them. Baldwin used to be the same way, but he doesn't really give a shit anymore now that he is so far removed from football.
So Russ's locker room problem was real? Got to wonder in those years, did Russ have any friends in our locker room? At this point, I guess it would be safe to assume that he doesn't have too many in Bronco's locker.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm having trouble squaring this with the guy who learned all of Wisconsin's playbook in a week or two and who so impressed Pete with his quick learning at rookie minicamp that Pete let him compete for the starting job. What happened to THAT guy?

sc85sis

Reaction score
This is what Pete has done for many years way back when he was a Trojan, quietly going into the gang sections of LA at night to seek out and help troubled youth. He did it quietly without fanfare. Just one of the reasons this life long USC fan became a Seahawk fan when Pete left LA.
Lots more stories of his help of the underprivileged with a minute spent on google.
Truth. Pete didn't start seeking attention for it until he founded A Better LA and needed money so the foundation could be run. At that point he'd already been going into Watts for a couple of years or more.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
So Russ's locker room problem was real? Got to wonder in those years, did Russ have any friends in our locker room?

The article that Greg Bishop wrote a few years ago details exactly when and where the major rift in the locker room occured, but that was more of a straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back situation. Doug was a major source for that article (not Sherm, as many suspected at the time).

My understanding (of where it all started) is that Russ was always aloof from day one, and apparently never attempted to connect with anyone in the locker room. It only got worse as time went on, as Russ became more brand focused. The talk of him making teammates go through his agents to contact him is 100% true.

He had a few friends on the team but they were mostly rooted in shared religious views. Clint Gresham was one of his closest friends, to put it in perspective. Russ has a tight knit group of friends outside of football, and doesn't really interact with anyone else.

At this point, I guess it would be safe to assume that he doesn't have too many in Bronco's locker.

I can't imagine he does. He had a hard time connecting with anyone in Seattle, and that was before all the self-centered behavior really became a problem.

toffee

Reaction score
He had a few friends on the team but they were mostly rooted in shared religious views. Clint Gresham was one of his closest friends, to put it in perspective. Russ has a tight knit group of friends outside of football, and doesn't really interact with anyone else.
I recalled that he did made effort with Jimmy Graham, went across the country to attend funeral of Graham's relative, and he made an effort with Metcalf, invited him to private vacation in Mexico (?) and taught Metcalf how to swim. Those were efforts, and aimed at new comers to the team. Mark Turbin was one of Wilson's groomsmen, they must be close too. Russ and Golden Tate were close, not sure what happened to that friendship.

D9GcSF18TNXXSDwQX8cd Fs6kpggTd9UT4S7e1qS2l2o5bEQs

Russell's groomsmen included: his Best Man, Scott Pickett as well as Kenny Dichter, Jimmy Graham, Cole Hawthorne, Matthew Rodgers, Mark Rodgers, Robert Turbin and Harry Wilson (Russell's brother). Russ invited over 100 guests to his wedding, I couldn't find pics of him and teammates, Marshawn was supposed to be in attendance, but no pic.

May be Russ's just one of those dudes that are socially awkward, in his case, the awkwardness was covered by a smooth talking veneer.

BamKam

Reaction score
I'm having trouble squaring this with the guy who learned all of Wisconsin's playbook in a week or two and who so impressed Pete with his quick learning at rookie minicamp that Pete let him compete for the starting job. What happened to THAT guy?
Ego.

His ego has exponentially ballooned since he got into the NFL. When he started, he was just a kid who loved playing football and would do whatever it took to win for his team. Now it’s the complete opposite, he does whatever it takes for him to look like the star and hopefully the wins will follow. He still spews the “I’m a winner all I want to do is win” nonsense but it just rings hollow now. I’m sure he cares about winning, but he wants to win while making sure people know Russ was the reason they won, not the team.

toffee

Reaction score
Ego.

His ego has exponentially ballooned since he got into the NFL. When he started, he was just a kid who loved playing football and would do whatever it took to win for his team. Now it’s the complete opposite, he does whatever it takes for him to look like the star and hopefully the wins will follow. He still spews the “I’m a winner all I want to do is win” nonsense but it just rings hollow now. I’m sure he cares about winning, but he wants to win while making sure people know Russ was the reason they won, not the team.
Ego, of course, but it's also a case of priorities. When he enter the league as a 3rd round pick, making the team was priority number 1. Once he got his first contract extension, the priority shifted to become the highest paid. By the time we reached the second extension, Wilson's priority shifted again. Wilson has been moving away from football slowly, as witnessed by the slow growth of his belly.