Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1s6u49d9 said:
Shanegotyou11":1s6u49d9 said:
Can russ restructure his deal to fit both griffen and clowney? I would if i was a player who wanted to win but i won't ever make that money and live that lifestyle.

I dont want to get this thread off topic but i believe russ our highest paid?

By far. 15.5% of the cap next year.
Didn't RW say he wants superstars or something like that?
He can make it happen for sure by showing it and that is
by restructuring his deal...The numbers on the cap are
horrible going forward.
He can't have it both ways.. :roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
They can manipulate payment out and re route bonus money in future years creating space now if they agree, the Brady way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3p3rpwly said:
Can russ restructure his deal to fit both griffen and clowney? I would if i was a player who wanted to win but i won't ever make that money and live that lifestyle.

I think we'd cut Britt and/or KJ before going into a long drawn out process of restructuring Russell's contract.

Just one of those guys cut allows enough cap to fit both Clowney and Griffen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
IndyHawk":7bfiknzr said:
JayhawkMike":7bfiknzr said:
Shanegotyou11":7bfiknzr said:

horrible going forward.

Nah. The cap is going to continue to be raised at a quick rate. Russell's deal is already a good bargain for a top-3 franchise quarterback. There's no reason he should restructure. Clowney can fit under the cap comfortably if they structure the deal right, and they can clear enough room for Griffen by restructuring or releasing Britt.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":11vvci9f said:
IndyHawk":11vvci9f said:
JayhawkMike":11vvci9f said:
Shanegotyou11":11vvci9f said:

horrible going forward.

Nah. The cap is going to continue to be raised at a quick rate. Russell's deal is already a good bargain for a top-3 franchise quarterback. There's no reason he should restructure. Clowney can fit under the cap comfortably if they structure the deal right, and they can clear enough room for Griffen by restructuring or releasing Britt.
The cap sure wasn't raised like people assumed this year was it?
Paying any QB's 15% 0r more of a teams cap is not a great thing if you
want to win SB's,the best way is to restructure to reduce that %.
Maybe he wants to keep Britt?Do you know what the hits are after this
year?You seem to think it's one flat figure.Anyway I'm done being off
topic (sorry)I want both Clowney and Griffen :2thumbs:

HawkStrong

Reaction score
IndyHawk":158pfibb said:
Maelstrom787":158pfibb said:
IndyHawk":158pfibb said:
JayhawkMike":158pfibb said:
horrible going forward.

New TV deals on the horizon, plus extra games.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
IndyHawk":rrl4huqf said:
Maelstrom787":rrl4huqf said:
IndyHawk":rrl4huqf said:
JayhawkMike":rrl4huqf said:
horrible going forward.

Russ deserves his 15% and it's a bargain for a guy that is arguably the best QB in the NFL at the moment, definitely top 3.

Also, I know his cap hit isn't a flat figure, but the truth is that his cap hit doesnt escalate wildly. 31m this year, 32m next, 37m 2022, 39m 2023. With how the salary cap is projected to increase, we may even see his cap percentage decline as we near the end of his deal. It may be harder to construct a crazy talented roster with a marquee player taking up about 16% of the cap, sure - but I'd much rather have RW than that 16%.

With that being said, no need to restructure on RW's part. Clowney can be squeezed in without much maneuvering. Griffen too. Britt is weighing way too heavily on the cap - I am totally fine releasing him and rolling with Finney if he doesn't want to restructure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Right now we have roughly 15M of cap, subtract 5M for signing all our draft picks, and IMO that means we still have to cut another 1-2 vets to even fit Clowney under the cap.

So you wanna add Griffen too? That means cutting Britt and KJ, and probably another surprise cut like Fluker too. He'd save us 4.1M of cap.

All are fine by me cutting btw, the prospects of two game changing DE's like Clowney and Griffen playing together with Irvin and Reed > Britt, Fluker and KJ.

And I sneakily suspect Pete and John agree, cause they wouldn't sign Finney, Warmack and Shell unless they wanted to give themselves the necessary depth and talent needed to be OK without Britt and maybe Britt AND Fluker.

But first things first.............sign Clowney!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":y8ykyhel said:
Right now we have roughly 15M of cap, subtract 5M for signing all our draft picks, and IMO that means we still have to cut another 1-2 vets to even fit Clowney under the cap.

So you wanna add Griffen too? That means cutting Britt and KJ, and probably another surprise cut like Fluker too. He'd save us 4.1M of cap.

All are fine by me cutting btw, the prospects of two game changing DE's like Clowney and Griffen playing together with Irvin and Reed > Britt, Fluker and KJ.

And I sneakily suspect Pete and John agree, cause they wouldn't sign Finney, Warmack and Shell unless they wanted to give themselves the necessary depth and talent needed to be OK without Britt and maybe Britt AND Fluker.

They can fit Clowney under cap fairly easily by moving money out of his base salary and into a prorated signing bonus. They have about $13m in true space, which factors in the future cost of signing draft picks. Now, to sign Griffen as well, that's when they have to start shedding some more weight.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1245406393127108609[/tweet]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this stage the deal gets done, or the Hawks move on.

I'm at a point where I'd rather have the certainty going into the draft of a starter @ LDE.

The money to do the deal @!7-18 mil can be found if the deal is for a few seasons at least.

Griffen is starting to look better and better.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3f4x8f6s said:

They can also release Hunt, Jackson, Moore and Bellore to free up about 7.5m with zero dead money. Releasing Hollister would open 3.2m as well, though maybe a bit less likely.

If they were going to cut Wright, he would've been gone before his 1M roster bonus kicked in. Looks like he's staying with his $10M cap hit.

toffee

Reaction score
If Clowney signs tomorrow for $16mil, do need another DE or we are OK to go forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkfan68

Reaction score
massari":2s0voh2t said:
Sgt. Largent":2s0voh2t said:

They can also release Hunt, Jackson, Moore and Bellore to free up about 7.5m with zero dead money. Releasing Hollister would open 3.2m as well, though maybe a bit less likely.

If they were going to cut Wright, he would've been gone before his 1M roster bonus kicked in. Looks like he's staying with his $10M cap hit.

Great point. Clowney is more important than Moore, Jackson, Bellore, and Hollister. Get rid of them and bring in Griffen and Clowney, I say. I believe they will look to trade Hollister. Especially if they draft a TE or if they feel Dissly is recovering better than expected. If they do, $3.2M comes off the books. They still have Luke Willson, Greg Olsen. Luke is much cheaper than Hollister. I see significant cost savings going that route. The draft has some good TE's Cole Kmet, Hunter Bryant, Brycen Hopkins, Albert O, Harrison Bryant, etc. It's fairly deep there. Hollister has some good trade value based on his production last season. Probably higher right now than it will be. I don't see him getting much playing time with a healthy Dissly and Olsen in the fold.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Looks like the Browns have entered the Clowney picture.. Seems they have 43 million in cap space and can easily afford him. That will be one helluva DL with Garrett.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Bobblehead":co7m6sqn said:
Looks like the Browns have entered the Clowney picture.. Seems they have 43 million in cap space and can easily afford him. That will be one helluva DL with Garrett.

LOL have fun on the Browns, Clowney. Oh wow, such a contender, enjoy the daydream while you're getting paid what you wanted hahahaha

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":25dozque said:
Clowney already has stated he wants to play for a playoff contender. Browns don’t qualify.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
You want to be on a contender, but, if no contenders are going to pay you what you feel your worth, then.. you have to suck it up and get what you can.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2cpocngr said:
Bobblehead":2cpocngr said:
Clowney already has stated he wants to play for a playoff contender. Browns don’t qualify.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Money is definitely a driving force of FA. But playing with a contender is a driving force of playing football. Clowney entered FA to drive up his price and I don't think you can blame him for that. Problem is on our end for not having more money to spend at the moment. We either fix that or we'll need a different fix. I think we can do it but it will short us on depth unless we strike gold in the draft. So if he'll continue holding out til after the draft we'll know more about where we stand. If he doesn't continue to play the waiting game we still know more about where we're at. We're kind of stuck waiting for the roster to come to us rather than being in a position to lock it up now.

Latest posts