Ruminations on the Vikings Game

getnasty

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":13i3j0sc said:
Kirk Cousins is such a joke. 0 - 8 on MNF. It looks like it too. He has the height, weight, throwing arm, beautiful spiral and all the prototype stuff. But if it's a big game, prime time game, against a big time opponent, playoffs or playoff atmosphere I would definitely not count on him.

Cousins is playing well this year and was not the reason they lost yesterday. He's not a top 5 quarterback in this league but i have no peoblem putting him in that next tier at least for this year.

xray

Reaction score
A win for 1st place in the division is a huge step . The periods with lack of concentration during most games bothers most fans . The playoff atmosphere is much more intense and a lack of discipline resulting in even small mistakes can and probably will eliminate most teams . To get to the SB mistake-free play is essential in the playoffs .IMO

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fade":2xa2natd said:
hawksfansinceday1":2xa2natd said:
MontanaHawk05":2xa2natd said:
Fade":2xa2natd said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1201673142676205568[/tweet]

See, tweets like this are why Baldwin is such a needlessly polarizing figure. He's not wrong about the numbers, but the team is 10-2 against immensely difficult competition and here's this couch jockey trotting out "cowards". There is a point at which criticism turns into douchiness, and he crossed it along time ago and then lapped it. There are probably countless pundits out there who could and did put the exact same point far more professionally.
VERY well said

I definitely see your point on this guys, but contextually, the tweet is being made in the heat of the moment, mix the emotions with the math, and this is what results. It was a cowardly punt ultimately, with a high surrender index.

It continues to be an area that Pete gets wrong. It had a surrender index of 85% which is ridiculous. Everyone keeps defending Pete and says it's not a big deal which so far has been true. Except it's not a big deal until it is and it costs us a game. It's an easy fix though so maybe in higher leverage instances he gets it right.

I actually feel much better about this team after this game for possibly the first time all season. We dominated a very good team in almost every facet and without a couple of very fluky plays/mistakes that could easily be a 41-17 or even better score. The defense is where we thought they would be. Diggs has been huge for the turn around. The line is playing better, Russ is possibly the MVP and this team could win the whole thing. The constant inability to not get out of our own way is worrisome but fixable. I think.

justafan

Reaction score
Fade":9ok6lp2g said:
hawksfansinceday1":9ok6lp2g said:
MontanaHawk05":9ok6lp2g said:
Fade":9ok6lp2g said:

See, tweets like this are why Baldwin is such a needlessly polarizing figure. He's not wrong about the numbers, but the team is 10-2 against immensely difficult competition and here's this couch jockey trotting out "cowards". There is a point at which criticism turns into douchiness, and he crossed it along time ago and then lapped it. There are probably countless pundits out there who could and did put the exact same point far more professionally.
VERY well said

I definitely see your point on this guys, but contextually, the tweet is being made in the heat of the moment, mix the emotions with the math, and this is what results. It was a cowardly punt ultimately, with a high surrender index.

There is no heat of the moment. He is nowhere near the moment. The dangers of mixing math and emotion? He is sitting on his ass trying to sound like he knows more about football than Pete. Questioning his heart.

Why give this guy an excuse for being an a##hole because he was in the heat of the moment but our coaches and players get railed for being imperfect when they really are in the heat of the battle.

aawolf

Reaction score
I love that this team is consistent in winning these close games, even if its bad for my heart. That's why we are not getting the love in the media as being among the top teams, because we never blow anyone out. We stay the course and we play not to lose and in the end, we end up winning. This strategy may bite us in the ass at some point, but its worked so far. All that playing time our young players got in garbage time, where we could have been blowing out the Bengals and the Falcons and the Steelers, but played young guys and let them hang around in the fourth quarter, seems to have paid dividends. I thought that was crazy to begin with, but I'm seeing our young players step up and get right at the best time. I think we can hang with anyone the way we've been playing.

Boycie

Reaction score
Fade":386gbicl said:
Ruminations on the Vikings Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

I never gave this game a second thought when the schedule came out. Easy Seattle W. Seatlle @ home, @ night, against Cousins. Even going into the week, still I penciled it in as a fairly easy win. Cousins who I still am not a believer in. As he is surrounded by so much talent it ridiculous. And now he has Kubiak as the architect of the offense. It couldn't get any better than what Cousins has. Well maybe, Mahomes, but that would be it. Cousins is being propped up big time.
So as the Seahawks were down in the 1st half, I didn't flinch, I wasn't worried at all, I was still highly confident they would win as they trailed by seven at the half. By the beginning of the 4th, Seattle had taken over the game as I expected and they were up 3 scores, Time to kick back and relax, ahhhhhh.

Then the Seahawks did the whole Seahawks thing, where they let the opponent back into the game no matter who they are playing. I still wasn't nervous after the busted TD give up. I was chill totally relaxed.... BUT THEN DK METCALF FUMBLED AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE SHOT THREW THE ROOF!!!!! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO HARD???!!!!!!!

In the passing game Seattle seemed to have no answers, as the receivers were plastered the whole night. No matter how much time Wilson bought they were covered. They did have some mild success on the quick game, but Pete hates dink and dunk so they promptly went away from it. Thankfully the running game was a different story as the O-Line was firing off of the ball and Seattle right now has a real nice 2-headed monster at RB. Schotty had a couple of nice calls on the goaline to spring easy TDs for both Carson and Penny.

Defensively, I damn near had a heart attack when they blitzed Cousins in the 4th, but thankfully Cousins misfired or it would've been a TD. This after already giving up the cheapo TD the series prior. Flowers committed PI shortly after for reference, it might've been the very next play. What happened to keep everything in front? Just dumb. Seattle has also gotten sloppy again covering RB screens, after being airtight in that area for the last month.

PLAYER & COACH NOTES

Classic PeteBall to start the game. Wilson didn't attempt a pass on the 1st series, that inevitable stalls out. Not surprising.

*Pete Carroll chooses to punt on a short 4th and 1 at mid field. These kind of dumb desicions can lose you games. It makes sense if you have the #1 Defense maybe. But they are more like a middle of the pack defense. Bad choice.

*Penny still has that juice from last week. I want to see him carry the ball more.

*You're supposed to bat it down, not forward, Wilson. :lol:

*Nifty little shift and pitch by Schotty for the Penny TD. I haven't been real impressed with the passing schemes tonight, but they are doing great things in the run game.

*Rasheem Green is a young pup, and It's cool to see him begin to flash more every week. He has the tools to be a Bennett type of player.

*Nobody is open. No matter how long Wilson extends the play. Everything is beyond tight window. Settling for another FG.

*Rhodes passes off D. Mo to... nobody for the easy TD. Thank you, Rhodes for sucking and having that miscommunication snafu.

*I would like to see Penny carry the load here in the 4th, he touches the ball and good things happen.

*Tre Flowers is also a young pup. It's only his second year playing corner, as a converted safety, and boy is he developing nicely.

*Diggs has really transformed this defense. Obvious is obvious.

*Right on cue, they feed Penny the football, and he goes in for the easy TD. He looks another gear faster than anyone else on the field.

*It's confirmed the stadium just isn't as loud as it used to be. The stadium at night used to get to 110+ decibel routinely, now it can't crack triple digits.

*The Seahawks follow up with their own coverage bust. :pukeface: The Seahawks just don't feel comfortable blowing out other teams. They have to make it a game.

*DK the fumbler, bailed out by refs for now. Challenge incoming. Predictably overturned.

*Wilson holding the ball and spins right into a sack, if he continues to the right he would've been fine.

FINAL THOUGHTS

With the 49ers beating the Packers, the 49ers losing to the Ravens, and the Seahawks beating the Vikings, makes the Seahawks the #2 seed. Had the others who can't do math gotten their desired result with the Packers winning, the Seahawks would be the #3 seed, and not have a bye week.

Green Bay probably won't lose a game the rest of the way, as the Vikings were wiped out tonight with injuries. So thank you SF for handing GB that loss, the Seahawks needed it.

Interesting rooting decision upcoming Sunday. SF or NO? If you told me Seattle will beat the Rams. Go SF!!!. But I don't know if that will be the outcome of the SEA-LA game. So I don't know which to go with between SF or NO. Seattle right now has a first round bye and that's what is most important. The #1 seed is just the cherry on top.

I will continue to mull it over during the week, but right now I am indifferent. Where as I was staunchly opposed to GB beating SF.

Please do leave a comment, or extended thoughts about the game. This is not a weekly soapbox post by any means. I am just here to get the ball rolling.

There is plenty I have left out, as a thousand things happen in a football game, and I am not trying to type a giant wall of text. I am going to go for a walk, and try to cool down, for now. :irishdrinkers:

Thanks for doing these Fade!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I can't ever root for SF. I hope the Saints win so that SF will have lost to the same teams we did and give us a full game lead in the win/loss column. Winning the division is most important.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I was concerned a bit at half time after giving up a cheap TD on the RW tipped ball. However when it got to 34-17 I was happy and chilled and decided to have a big glass of wine, thinking at last the Hawks will win a game completely convincingly. I thought wrong.

Fade":1halxd9f said:
Ruminations on the Vikings Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

Then the Seahawks did the whole Seahawks thing, where they let the opponent back into the game no matter who they are playing. I still wasn't nervous after the busted TD give up. I was chill totally relaxed.... BUT THEN DK METCALF FUMBLED AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE SHOT THROUGH THE ROOF!!!!! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO HARD???!!!!!!!

PLAYER & COACH NOTES

Classic PeteBall to start the game. Wilson didn't attempt a pass on the 1st series, that inevitable stalls out. Not surprising.

*Penny still has that juice from last week. I want to see him carry the ball more.

*Rasheem Green is a young pup, and It's cool to see him begin to flash more every week. He has the tools to be a Bennett type of player.

*Rhodes passes off D. Mo to... nobody for the easy TD. Thank you, Rhodes for sucking and having that miscommunication snafu.

*Tre Flowers is also a young pup. It's only his second year playing corner, as a converted safety, and boy is he developing nicely.

*Diggs has really transformed this defense. Obvious is obvious.

*Right on cue, they feed Penny the football, and he goes in for the easy TD. He looks another gear faster than anyone else on the field.

*It's confirmed the stadium just isn't as loud as it used to be. The stadium at night used to get to 110+ decibel routinely, now it can't crack triple digits.

[u]*The Seahawks follow up with their own coverage bust. :pukeface: The Seahawks just don't feel comfortable blowing out other teams. They have to make it a game.[/u]

*DK the fumbler, bailed out by refs for now. Challenge incoming. Predictably overturned.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Interesting rooting decision upcoming Sunday. SF or NO? If you told me Seattle will beat the Rams. Go SF!!!. But I don't know if that will be the outcome of the SEA-LA game. So I don't know which to go with between SF or NO. Seattle right now has a first round bye and that's what is most important. The #1 seed is just the cherry on top.

Please do leave a comment, or extended thoughts about the game. This is not a weekly soapbox post by any means. I am just here to get the ball rolling.

There is plenty I have left out, as a thousand things happen in a football game, and I am not trying to type a giant wall of text. :irishdrinkers:

Also I stated this on another post Diggs makes a difference however I wish one of the younger draft picks Hill or Thompson could have claimed the starting role.

I agreed mostly with all you posted but agreed totally with what I left of your post above. Thanks for your work.

Why can't the the team just have a game where they don't make huge mistakes and let the other team back in the game? That part of this years special season is increasingly frustrating to watch. I want to see a solid comfortable W.

Carson was special running against a very good run D last night. The team has got more from Penny and will get more as he continues to be used as a mostly outside break away runner. The Hawks beat a strength of Minnie last night and the Vikes had difficulty adjusting the changes between Carson and Penny.

The WRs were not special last night and several of them were almost invisible, it was unusual to see any of them get separation. Is there some reason why Gordon was not targeted more often, is he being saved until later? Metcalf needs to secure the ball better, his hands are becoming early Tate like suspect. Am hoping Lockett is better by the Rams game.

I thought the whole OLine played very well against a good defensive front all night.

Am liking the improvement in play of Ziggy, am beginning to really like the improvement in Green's game and think he hasn't scratched his true potential yet. Thought Clowney looked like he was a half step slow last night and saw him limping on one play, truly hope he can be managed through the end of the season with little downside. The interior Dline was steadying tough on Minnie's run game. The D got gouged by screens early however.

Diggs makes the other DBs look a lot better and has transformed the pass D into a strength o this D. They do all need to stay on the same page though. I suspect we have seen all we are going to get from Thompson and Hill, both of whom look to have been over drafted.

Despite my kvetching about not winning convincingly the team won against a quality opponent and although they let the Vikes back in the game the game wasn't as close as the final score revealed, yet could have been blown with the big mistakes made. The Hawks controlled the TOP 2-1 having the ball for almost 40 minutes of the game. The gamebook attached shows the game wasn't as close as the final score yet still came close to slipping away. See gamebook: https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/game ... mebook.pdf . Finally the Hawks had a surprising absence of penalties called against them only 1.

Once again it was a sort of ugly W if you can truly say any W is ugly. After 12 games the team has ugly'd itself to the #2 seed with 12 Ws one conference L and a L to the Ravens, a Dvisional record of 3-0. No lipstick is needed for that record as the only 2 Ls have come against the #1 seed from both conferences.

I'm happy today and want the team to beat the Rams and the Digits to lose against NO. Really do want to see a total game domination type W, as my blood pressure levels watching the team this year have been more than I like.

Chapow

Reaction score
austinslater25":15ny5sht said:
Fade":15ny5sht said:
hawksfansinceday1":15ny5sht said:
MontanaHawk05":15ny5sht said:
VERY well said

It continues to be an area that Pete gets wrong. It had a surrender index of 85% which is ridiculous. Everyone keeps defending Pete and says it's not a big deal which so far has been true. Except it's not a big deal until it is and it costs us a game. It's an easy fix though so maybe in higher leverage instances he gets it right.

Let me know when punting on 4th down from our own side of the field with 57 minutes remaining in the game costs us a game. Thanks :2thumbs:

Also, in regards to the "surrender index",

This project contains a Twitter bot that automatically tweets every time there is a punt in an NFL game. It tweets each punt's "Surrender Index" - a completely arbitrary metric created by SB Nation's Jon Bois to quantify how cowardly a punt is.
https://github.com/andrew-shackelford/Surrender-Index

You guys are literally using a completely arbitrary metric to try to legitimize your opinion that Pete is wrong, continues to be wrong, and is apparently a coward. Which is far more ridiculous than punting on 4th down from our own side of the field 3 minutes into the 1st quarter.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
In defense of Metcalf, his hands aren’t the problem. It’s his strength and mindset. It’s beautiful to watch him carry a host of defenders while he refuses to go down to a bad tackle, but while he’s being ridden, defenders are stripping the ball. While he can squat a ton, he is being out muscled with the ball. He needs to drop after reasonable contact or when he’s being pulled from the ball.

His fumble last night was a result of a great hit. The pad from a 240# defender hit his hand/ball at full Gallup. That drop was inevitable.

A fun statistic is that russle is throwing a 66% pick six in his interceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":14f20iy0 said:
austinslater25":14f20iy0 said:
Fade":14f20iy0 said:
hawksfansinceday1":14f20iy0 said:
VERY well said

Let me know when punting on 4th down from our own side of the field with 57 minutes remaining in the game costs us a game. Thanks :2thumbs:

This project contains a Twitter bot that automatically tweets every time there is a punt in an NFL game. It tweets each punt's "Surrender Index" - a completely arbitrary metric created by SB Nation's Jon Bois to quantify how cowardly a punt is.

You guys are literally using a completely arbitrary metric to try to legitimize your opinion that Pete is wrong, continues to be wrong, and is apparently a coward. Which is far more ridiculous than punting on 4th down from our own side of the field 3 minutes into the 1st quarter.

But.....it was on twitter, it must be legit! Seriously, this number has zero backing. They are basically citing someone else's opinion, but posing it as a fact. It is disingenuous.

Chapow

Reaction score
justafan":7rimvslc said:
Fade":7rimvslc said:
hawksfansinceday1":7rimvslc said:
MontanaHawk05":7rimvslc said:
VERY well said

There is no heat of the moment. He is nowhere near the moment. The dangers of mixing math and emotion? He is sitting on his ass trying to sound like he knows more about football than Pete. Questioning his heart.

Why give this guy an excuse for being an a##hole because he was in the heat of the moment but our coaches and players get railed for being imperfect when they really are in the heat of the battle.

This.

When/if Baldwin ever decides to grow up and conduct himself with a little more professionalism I might consider taking anything he has to say seriously. Until then I'll continue to disregard him just like I do with every other overly emotional fan that gets mad at Pete because they disagree with an in game decision he made in the actual heat of the battle.

You know what's almost as lame as calling football players and coaches cowards from the safety of your couch? Excusing it, or worse yet, justifying it.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Surrender index is dumb. I have posted on here about 4th down stats. I even reply to ben baldwin when nobody replies and he is a mute.

Tical21

Reaction score
Did you just quote Ben Baldwin in your initial post, and in a serious fashion?

D

DomeHawk

SanDiego49er":3gmoba50 said:
Kirk Cousins is such a joke. 0 - 8 on MNF. It looks like it too. He has the height, weight, throwing arm, beautiful spiral and all the prototype stuff. But if it's a big game, prime time game, against a big time opponent, playoffs or playoff atmosphere I would definitely not count on him.

Six or seven of those games were when he was with Washington.

D

DomeHawk

NOLAHawk":3ds8np0y said:
In defense of Metcalf, his hands aren’t the problem. It’s his strength and mindset. It’s beautiful to watch him carry a host of defenders while he refuses to go down to a bad tackle, but while he’s being ridden, defenders are stripping the ball. While he can squat a ton, he is being out muscled with the ball. He needs to drop after reasonable contact or when he’s being pulled from the ball.

His fumble last night was a result of a great hit. The pad from a 240# defender hit his hand/ball at full Gallup. That drop was inevitable.

A fun statistic is that russle is throwing a 66% pick six in his interceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DK had a great night but it can all be nullified with one fumble that could have cost us the game. He had the rep of bad hands coming into the league. It's just something he needs to concentrate on more.

Nice work Fade.

sutz

Reaction score
DomeHawk":a4gpiq8s said:
DK had a great night but it can all be nullified with one fumble that could have cost us the game. He had the rep of bad hands coming into the league. It's just something he needs to concentrate on more.

Nice work Fade.
Yeah, DK's fumbling is rising from the "rookie jitters" stage to full blown "it's a legitimate concern" level.

:snack:

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Louie/status/1201897436391911425[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1201898394970710016[/tweet]

Wilson has the highest degree of difficulty in the league, but he always finds a way.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1201955446837268480[/tweet]

Super impressive.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Chapow":2eq16xcv said:
austinslater25":2eq16xcv said:
Fade":2eq16xcv said:
hawksfansinceday1":2eq16xcv said:
VERY well said

Well when almost every other coach in the league goes for it there because the numbers say you should then its a bad decision. I love Pete as much as anyone but this weird allegiance to every single decision he makes like he's infallible is strange. There are many other metrics that should its smarter to just go for it instead of gaining the potential 30 yards in field position. Points matter and you have a better chance of scoring more if you go for it. The risk outweighs the reward. Harbaugh in Baltimore talked about this in a recent interview and moving forward it will continue to be a situation where more and more teams do go for it.

You said let you know when it costs us a game but that's not really true. if Pete does do this and it does costs us a game you won't admit and neither will every other Pete apologist on this subject. We get it Pete is perfect and if you don't agree you're not a true fan. This take is tiring.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
austinslater25":4lhedcz3 said:
Chapow":4lhedcz3 said:
austinslater25":4lhedcz3 said:
Fade":4lhedcz3 said:

Well when almost every other coach in the league goes for it there because the numbers say you should then its a bad decision. I love Pete as much as anyone but this weird allegiance to every single decision he makes like he's infallible is strange. There are many other metrics that should its smarter to just go for it instead of gaining the potential 30 yards in field position. Points matter and you have a better chance of scoring more if you go for it. The risk outweighs the reward. Harbaugh in Baltimore talked about this in a recent interview and moving forward it will continue to be a situation where more and more teams do go for it.

You said let you know when it costs us a game but that's not really true. if Pete does do this and it does costs us a game you won't admit and neither will every other Pete apologist on this subject. We get it Pete is perfect and if you don't agree you're not a true fan. This take is tiring.
You're overreacting to support your opinion Fade, imo.