Roquan Smith anyone?

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I heard yesterday Roquan Smith was unhappy with the Bears and I immidately thought about the Seahawks making a move and pairing him up with Brooks. Then I thought about the draft capital it would cost, as well as the new contract he would require. Then I saw an article from ESPN about the front runners to get him and they listed the Seahawks as the #1 team. It does make sense, given our defensive coaching ties to the Bears. The article states that 1 exec said he potentially could be had for a 3rd rounder. Why not send them a 3rd round pick and Cody Barton for him? The amount he's asking for on his new contract could be a deal breaker but that would be a scary and young LB core.

Article Here

nanomoz

Reaction score
Instead of having draft capital for a QB? Hell no.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It would be a mistake to trade for him and then pay him top dollar.

It would be Percy Harvin all over again. Save our money and pay our guys.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Jamal cost 2 1st, if this cost 1 3rd, how is that Jamal Adams all over again?
From my perspective, if the trade is made, regardless of draft picks, the team definitely has to pay the man. The net effect on current Seahawk players is the team's money is going to another outsider... and not to those who grew up with the team.

In that regard, trading for Smith would be just like trading for, and paying Percy Harvin and Jamal Adams.

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
From my perspective, if the trade is made, regardless of draft picks, the team definitely has to pay the man. The net effect on current Seahawk players is the team's money is going to another outsider... and not to those who grew up with the team.

In that regard, trading for Smith would be just like trading for, and paying Percy Harvin and Jamal Adams.

Except DK Metcalf just got a huge contract. Lockett and Diggs have been paid really well. Hell, we even grossly overpaid for Will Dissly. We were willing to pay Bobby Wagner a lot of money to be a top 5 LB, this would be no different. Keep in mind, I'm not necessarily for this move but if we made it, I would get it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Except DK Metcalf just got a huge contract. Lockett and Diggs have been paid really well. Hell, we even grossly overpaid for Will Dissly. We were willing to pay Bobby Wagner a lot of money to be a top 5 LB, this would be no different. Keep in mind, I'm not necessarily for this move but if we made it, I would get it.
My point isn't that the team shouldn't pay its top performers (all teams must), it's that the team is better served by paying its own, not outsiders. Within a team, there's a salary balance that exists and must be maintained. If it's not, it causes dissension.

Re your comment on Will Dissly's contract, I suggest you read an article or two to understand what happened behind the scenes. Will was going to get $8M/year from one team or another. Denver was in the bidding war as was Tampa Bay. The Hawks value Will and didn't want him to leave. Bottom line, the Hawks paid the market price to keep Will.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I think Pete and John have gone back to the "believe in the system" ideals and unless something stupidly beautiful falls in their laps they will stand pat.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think Pete and John have gone back to the "believe in the system" ideals and unless something stupidly beautiful falls in their laps they will stand pat.
Yup

They just drafted Brooks, Taylor, Mafe and Barton and all look to be quality gets, with Brooks and Taylor looking to have All-Pro potential. They're confident in their ability to add LBers

The LB Corp lacks depth, but I dont think getting Smith is anything that would be on their radar. They like their guys and will likely roll with them. I do see them picking up a guy or two to come off the bench now and again.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yup

They just drafted Brooks, Taylor, Mafe and Barton and all look to be quality gets, with Brooks and Taylor looking to have All-Pro potential. They're confident in their ability to add LBers

The LB Corp lacks depth, but I dont think getting Smith is anything that would be on their radar. They like their guys and will likely roll with them. I do see them picking up a guy or two to come off the bench now and again.
They need one or two Malcolm Smith types who can sub in and play reliably without having to be spectacular.

Rat

Reaction score
He's an excellent player, and we'd be lucky to have him. However, I'd be shocked if he could be had for THAT little, and I don't think I'd want to give what he will cost. It's just not worth it for an off-ball linebacker.