Roquan Smith anyone?

ivotuk

Reaction score
We can't afford him. We have about 13 million in cap space, and who do you cut?

Do you risk losing out on a QB in the 2023 NFL Draft by trading away draft picks? NO! There is NOT enough upside to the deal. Jimmy Graham...lost on that deal...Percy Harvin...Lost big time on that deal, tens of millions of dollars for ONE KO Return TD, and because it cost us Golden Tate...

We have LOST on every high profile trade we've made, except in my humble opinion, the 2 1sts, 2nds, Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, and Drew Lock trade.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jamal Adams > Percy Harvin. By a lot.
Harvin was a clubhouse cancer on this team. Adams is a leader. Just need him healthy and a scheme that uses him, which it looks like will happen this year.
This. Adams was helping coach guys on the sidelines last Saturday. He's said he'd run through a wall for Pete and the Hawks.

Percy was causing fights in the locker room.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Wow, this could possibly become a real trade. But, the Seahawks really can't afford to lose either of their 1st round picks. Who knows how the team records will turn out. We are banking on a new quarterback. Could we trade one of our second round choices???

The video mentions that this would be expensive and the contracts would need to be long term for stars like this. But, we would have one of the best linebacker duos in the NFL. Our defense would be "locked and loaded"...Could we afford it?

I think that we can! With our current cap and the fact that our future quarterback is most likely one of our future first round choices, this could mean that next year and for 4 years going forward, we might be back to having a rookie contract at quarterback...and could then afford to have a team with high quality starters and a lot of depth.

Thank you and goodbye #3!

GROW HAWKS!!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks have plenty of money to get Smith. Money is not the issue. If they want Smith and feel he's a fit for what they want to do on defense, they'll acquire him. I think he'll be a great addition. He had 100+ tackles last year. He along with Brooks would instantly upgrade the insde LB core which is one of the weak areas currently on the defense. He also provides a pass rushing threat. Much like what Bobby Wagner was earlier in his career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Seahawks have plenty of money to get Smith. Money is not the issue. If they want Smith and feel he's a fit for what they want to do on defense, they'll acquire him. I think he'll be a great addition. He had 100+ tackles last year. He along with Brooks would instantly upgrade the insde LB core which is one of the weak areas currently on the defense. He also provides a pass rushing threat. Much like what Bobby Wagner was earlier in his career.

All makes sense, but I assume the Bears are asking a lot. Probably at least one 1st rounder, and probably a couple more high picks.

So not sure I want to get into another bad Adams trade where we're overpaying for a defensive starter.

Especially when we still need to find our QB of the future, so trading away one of our 1st rounders when we might need that pick to trade up next year to grab one of the top QB prospects isn't a good idea IMO.

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
The Bears aren't in a good position to get value. This is the middle of training camp, not ideal for getting value for a traded player. Put that on top of the fact that he is prepared to sit out games. New coach and GM are not attached to him either, I don't see how anyone would give up a 1st rounder for him. I think this is a situation that if Schneider will make this trade unless its something like a 3rd rounder and either Cody Barton or Dee Eskridge. I might be willing to give up a 2nd, if a 5th rounder came with it.

toffee

Reaction score
Need knowledge and education here: May I know the function and importance of middle line back in a 3-4 defense? So used to watch Boddy being the QB of defense, right in the middle and patrol a large area, in 3-4, duty splited? or taking on more duty to help the tackles?

I have never played the game, with very limited XO knowledge.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Bears aren't in a good position to get value. This is the middle of training camp, not ideal for getting value for a traded player. Put that on top of the fact that he is prepared to sit out games. New coach and GM are not attached to him either, I don't see how anyone would give up a 1st rounder for him. I think this is a situation that if Schneider will make this trade unless its something like a 3rd rounder and either Cody Barton or Dee Eskridge. I might be willing to give up a 2nd, if a 5th rounder came with it.

Smith is a top 3-4 MLB in the the entire league in his prime, no way the Bears take this deal.

They'll hold onto him, and even franchise him for a year until they get the value they want.

samwize77

Reaction score
I have to think that the point made about J Brooks getting close to signing a big contract, plays big into the equation. Certainly not a deal breaker but it has to be considered. I don't really see the money to pay a rookie QB next year has alot of effect. So...I guess it could come down to if the bears will let loose with a "not so great" deal for them...and if PC/JS will be willing to put that kind of money on the defensive side of the ball.

I am on the fence here as far as draft picks. I definitely do not want to let go of one of our firsts.

KinesProf

Reaction score
No disrespect to Roquan, but that needs to be a definite no.

Don't give up valuable assets for someone else's unhappy star anymore. Don't give up valuable draft picks going into a draft where you may need as much ammo as possible to be aggressive in getting the QB that you want.

Jordyn Brooks is quite good, not great yet, but should be in line for an extension in the mid-slightly upper class of off ball LBers. Paying Roquan too at the top of the off ball lber market plus giving up something to get him would be an irresponsible use of resources. Use one of the 2nds in next years draft on an off ball lber to play next to Brooks on a rookie deal - Too'Too, Flowe, Overshown, Campbell.

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Smith is a top 3-4 MLB in the the entire league in his prime, no way the Bears take this deal.

They'll hold onto him, and even franchise him for a year until they get the value they want.
That's possible, unless he's not in their future plans. I've heard the 3rd round price tag from a couple different sources now. I'm guessing if the Bears are truly looking for a 1st rounder, they aren't going to get it and might have a player that sits out an entire year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's possible, unless he's not in their future plans. I've heard the 3rd round price tag from a couple different sources now. I'm guessing if the Bears are truly looking for a 1st rounder, they aren't going to get it and might have a player that sits out an entire year.

Maybe.

I also don't think Pete and John want to have 30-40M of cap space tied up with two MLB's.

Remember, Brooks is going to get a new deal we presume after this season. Do people really want to sign Smith to a monster deal, then turn around and have to give Brooks another big deal next off season?

I get it, Smith is a top 10 defensive player in the league right now. Just don't think it makes sense from numerous angles. Both cost wise and what it'd take to get him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Need knowledge and education here: May I know the function and importance of middle line back in a 3-4 defense? So used to watch Boddy being the QB of defense, right in the middle and patrol a large area, in 3-4, duty splited? or taking on more duty to help the tackles?

I have never played the game, with very limited XO knowledge.
Maybe this will help. The article was published in 2011 so the 3-4 tactics may have evolved since then but it may give the basics -NFL: Breaking Down the 3-4 Defense

OP
OP
dutchcoug

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Maybe.

I also don't think Pete and John want to have 30-40M of cap space tied up with two MLB's.

Remember, Brooks is going to get a new deal we presume after this season. Do people really want to sign Smith to a monster deal, then turn around and have to give Brooks another big deal next off season?

I get it, Smith is a top 10 defensive player in the league right now. Just don't think it makes sense from numerous angles. Both cost wise and what it'd take to get him.
WWTRD (What would the Rams do)

Honestly, there are the Rams, Chiefs and Saints that seem to immune to the salary cap. Time for Seahawks to figure out how to pull some cap magic off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WWTRD (What would the Rams do)

Honestly, there are the Rams, Chiefs and Saints that seem to immune to the salary cap. Time for Seahawks to figure out how to pull some cap magic off.

The Rams haven't had a 1st round pick since McVay got there.

What they do is sign their key 7-8 stars to backloaded long term deals with a ton of signing bonus cash so there's never big cap hits until the end when usually the player's gone and it's only dead cap, then use their draft picks and free agency to build around those stars on a short term basis so they can easily cut players and get off of contracts if they need to...................which wait for it.............continues to open up cap space each off season.

Entire articles have been written about how the Ram's cap guru does it.

https://www.lafbnetwork.com/tony-pastoors-how-the-rams-cap-genius-makes-magic/

Ruminator

Reaction score
I guess there was a Bears/Seahawks game on last night, but on ESPN, you would have thought it was the Roquan Smith Show.

GemCity

Reaction score
Why not go get him? A lot of you said we’re fine with Geno and Lock at QB.

I don’t understand the dismay of losing the picks for a great LB since we’re fine at QB.

Unfortunately, this team has been managed similarly to how some advocate certain moves right here in these forums. Disgusting.

Without sarcasm, no..,don’t give up the capital.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why not go get him? A lot of you said we’re fine with Geno and Lock at QB.

I don’t understand the dismay of losing the picks for a great LB since we’re fine at QB.

Unfortunately, this team has been managed similarly to how some advocate certain moves right here in these forums. Disgusting.

Without sarcasm, no..,don’t give up the capital.

Because we're not fine at QB. Not even close.