Revisiting Tyree Wilson for the Seahawks

Chevy

Reaction score
I had a hard time seeing Tyree Wilson's fit on a 3-4 defense earlier during the draft process. But, I've gone back to him and I think his best fit for us would be OLB in our 3-4 defense. He isn't the athlete or have the bend like Iowa State OLB/DE Will McDonald. But, Wilson's athleticism looks on par if not better than Alabama OLB/DE Will Anderson...And Wilson is bigger, stronger, and longer than Anderson.

I like Tyree Wilson's comparison to former Patriot/Cardinal OLB/DE Chandler Jones. Jones was a DE in college, he didn't blow up the NFL combine. Yet his size, length, on field athleticism/game tape played out to him being a dominate pass rusher at OLB in the NFL.

NFL Combine
- Chandler Jones: 6'5" 3/8, 266 lbs., 35 1/2 inch arm length, 1.69 10-yard split, and 35 inch vert. 22 on bench.
- Tyree Wilson: 6'6", 271 lbs., 35 3/8 inch arm length. 23 on bench. (out with injury for other drills)

So I think Wilson could be a great fit at OLB for us. I have Will McDonald as the #1 rated 3-4 OLB and Tyree Wilson as the #2 rated 3-4 OLB in this draft. With Will Anderson being rated the #3 rated 3-4 OLB in this draft. Anderson talks a big game in interviews, but he does not have the high motor of Will McDonald and is not the athlete like McDonald and Wilson (size/length/athleticism/strength).

So if we don't take a QB at #5 then, for me it's, McDonald or Wilson.

Chandler Jones college highlights. He played DE in college and mainly 3-4 OLB in NFL

Here is a video of Tyree Wilson: You can see him play OLB in a 3-4, he was great at that position...so it's not so much of a projection of him playing OLB on a 3-4 defense. Wilson has good speed-to-power and looks to have good agility.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Anderson 3rd? That seems over the top.

McDonald is a guy I've had my eye on for a while. Oddly Iowa St. didn't really use him properly. I'd be fine grabbing him with our 2nd pick. But taking him at 5 is too rich.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing Wilson covering the flat/short quarters. I know he was kind of a LEO/34 edge at TT, but he looks like a pure 43 end to me.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing Wilson covering the flat/short quarters. I know he was kind of a LEO/34 edge at TT, but he looks like a pure 43 end to me.
Wilson's comp is Chandler Jones, who was the same size and played 3-4 OLB the majority of his career at a Pro Bowl level.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of Wilson I would need to see him in OLB drills to see how he looks in space I have only seen him attacking the offensive backfield and not have to deal with a TE or RB in pass coverage. The Hawks have a huge need at DE and could see him as a dominate 5 tech especially if he could gain 20-25lbs

I also like Bresee as a DE he has similar measurables as JJ Watt has a big motor, going into the 2021 college season was the top rated DT over Carter than life got in the way with his sisters illness and an ACL injury to his left leg. Watching him in game film it appears the knee is fully healed he is able to plant and move to his right. I see Bresee as a player who has something to prove and his best football is ahead of him. He can play DT and DE equally well

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I had a hard time seeing Tyree Wilson's fit on a 3-4 defense earlier during the draft process. But, I've gone back to him and I think his best fit for us would be OLB in our 3-4 defense. He isn't the athlete or have the bend like Iowa State OLB/DE Will McDonald. But, Wilson's athleticism looks on par if not better than Alabama OLB/DE Will Anderson...And Wilson is bigger, stronger, and longer than Anderson.

I like Tyree Wilson's comparison to former Patriot/Cardinal OLB/DE Chandler Jones. Jones was a DE in college, he didn't blow up the NFL combine. Yet his size, length, on field athleticism/game tape played out to him being a dominate pass rusher at OLB in the NFL.

NFL Combine
- Chandler Jones: 6'5" 3/8, 266 lbs., 35 1/2 inch arm length, 1.69 10-yard split, and 35 inch vert. 22 on bench.
- Tyree Wilson: 6'6", 271 lbs., 35 3/8 inch arm length. 23 on bench. (out with injury for other drills)

So I think Wilson could be a great fit at OLB for us. I have Will McDonald as the #1 rated 3-4 OLB and Tyree Wilson as the #2 rated 3-4 OLB in this draft. With Will Anderson being rated the #3 rated 3-4 OLB in this draft. Anderson talks a big game in interviews, but he does not have the high motor of Will McDonald and is not the athlete like McDonald and Wilson (size/length/athleticism/strength).

So if we don't take a QB at #5 then, for me it's, McDonald or Wilson.

Chandler Jones college highlights. He played DE in college and mainly 3-4 OLB in NFL

Here is a video of Tyree Wilson: You can see him play OLB in a 3-4, he was great at that position...so it's not so much of a projection of him playing OLB on a 3-4 defense. Wilson has good speed-to-power and looks to have good agility.

I like your thought process and presentation. I'd still be tempted to choose Anderson, but wouldn't be disappointed with any of the three.
I have a hard time buying into the scheme limitations. I think these young guys can quickly absorb all they need to know to play either or both schemes. When known talent is on the roster and a scheme fails I tend to think it is more coaching that is not succeeding.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Anderson 3rd? That seems over the top.

McDonald is a guy I've had my eye on for a while. Oddly Iowa St. didn't really use him properly. I'd be fine grabbing him with our 2nd pick. But taking him at 5 is too rich.
Is it over the top? Wilson is now being mocked before Anderson in some mock drafts, which lines up with my evaluation. So Anderson is #2 best pass rusher for a decent amount of other draft people. I know I'm really high on McDonald, so are others when you read their evaluation of him, but they are afraid to go agains the grain of the norm. Which is fine.

I'll eat crow on draft day if I'm proven wrong. But I'm good with putting myself out there for a pospect that shows out during the draft process.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of Wilson I would need to see him in OLB drills to see how he looks in space I have only seen him attacking the offensive backfield and not have to deal with a TE or RB in pass coverage. The Hawks have a huge need at DE and could see him as a dominate 5 tech especially if he could gain 20-25lbs

I also like Bresee as a DE he has similar measurables as JJ Watt has a big motor, going into the 2021 college season was the top rated DT over Carter than life got in the way with his sisters illness and an ACL injury to his left leg. Watching him in game film it appears the knee is fully healed he is able to plant and move to his right. I see Bresee as a player who has something to prove and his best football is ahead of him. He can play DT and DE equally well
Taking Wilson in the top-10 and expecting him to be the same player with 20-25 extra pounds is a huge gamble. That would be worth a try if he was drafted in round 3 or later, but not top-10.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
McDonald is considered a borderline 1st Rounder.

I think ranking Tyree over Anderson is ridiculous based on their college output. But whatever. Teams will love his measurables. Wilson is still a top 10 talent imo. But I would be pissed, as would a lot of people, if we passed on Anderson truthfully.
Bro thats fine. Everyone can have opinion about whatever. I can scout prospects off stat sheets as well, but scouting off of purely stats/production is not scouting. It is just a small piece of the puzzle.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Wilson's comp is Chandler Jones, who was the same size and played 3-4 OLB the majority of his career at a Pro Bowl level.
Physically, I see it. But watching him move, I don't see it at all. Jones is elastic and slippery and can change directions in no time. Wilson doesn't look like that to me. His game is predicated first and foremost on overpowering people.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Is it over the top? Wilson is now being mocked before Anderson in some mock drafts, which lines up with my evaluation. So Anderson is #2 best pass rusher for a decent amount of other draft people. I know I'm really high on McDonald, so are others when you read their evaluation of him, but they are afraid to go agains the grain of the norm. Which is fine.

I'll eat crow on draft day if I'm proven wrong. But I'm good with putting myself out there for a pospect that shows out during the draft process.
I like McDonald quite a bit too.

My hesitation with him is weight and age. They’re are some similarities with Bruce coming out. Both played as a down lineman in a 3 man front and were athletic testers. (Bruce was more explosive I think but McDonald is more refined as a rusher and has more length, so different players all and all.)

But Bruce never overcame his lack of power in the NFL to become a true #1 pass rusher.

Are you worried about that with McDonald?

12forlife

Reaction score
Why are we not considering Nolan Smith? Dude ran a 4.39 40. He is a tick smaller then ideal, but at his size he has no problem setting the edge verse the run. When he is able to pin his ears back he gives me Von Miller, Micah Parsons vibes. I also believe he is solid in coverage. I want this guy to be s a Seahawk!

CactusJack

Reaction score
Bro thats fine. Everyone can have opinion about whatever. I can scout prospects off stat sheets as well, but scouting off of purely stats/production is not scouting. It is just a small piece of the puzzle.
If you watch his 2021 film, it's a no brainer. This past year he played more downs inside & his productivity suffered. Still was a double digit sack guy.

Fwiw I don't think McDonald gets enough attention. Having him ranked as high as the #2 OLB I think is fine. Nolan Smith is the other name.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Why are we not considering Nolan Smith? Dude ran a 4.39 40. He is a tick smaller then ideal, but at his size he has no problem setting the edge verse the run. When he is able to pin his ears back he gives me Von Miller, Micah Parsons vibes. I also believe he is solid in coverage. I want this guy to be s a Seahawk!

I would say it’s because everything is a projection with Smith. That and lack of size. I love the idea of trying to convert him to ILB if the coaching staff is confident in his ability to do it.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Physically, I see it. But watching him move, I don't see it at all. Jones is elastic and slippery and can change directions in no time. Wilson doesn't look like that to me. His game is predicated first and foremost on overpowering people.
I thought that about Wilson at first. But going back to look at his game tape, he does show agility, better than Will Anderson...which is may be why Anderson didn't do agility testing.

I recommend really going back and scouting Wilson's games, not just highlights. He does show good agility for his size, not so much a linear prospect.

12forlife

Reaction score
What about putting 20# on Wilson, then put him at DE use him in a Chris Jones style?

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's not like Tyree did agility testing either, although he does an excuse for it. Could your opinion of his agility be influenced by the quality of the tackles he was matched up against? Obviously he didn't play vs. Oklahoma and there weren't many decent tackles in that big 12 schedule last season beyond that. The remaining good matchups he had (Houston / NC State) were also two of his least impressive games.

week 2 vs. Houston: Wilson's size stands out more than his play does. He gets a few pressures but they are off blitzes, when a RB chips him, or beating the RT once. To be fair Wilson was getting double teamed a lot, but LT #76 Patrick Paul (6'7" 310lbs) held his own pretty well whenever Wilson tried to go outside.

week 3 vs. NC State: Anthony Belton (6'6" 330lbs) was more than agile enough to stay in front of him, although Wilson was a complete mismatch against his RT teammate McKay. The only pressure I saw on Belton's side was when he split a double team with power - something he is good at. He did catch Belton by surprise once or twice with a bull rush, but I came away more impressed by Belton than Wilson overall.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I agree with Chevy about Anderson being a rigid athlete I noticed this in the beginning of the 2022 season. When playing the run he was in a more traditional position but when rushing the passer would be in a wide 9. I do like McDonald, at the Senior Bowl was by far the best pass rusher. I saw him at the combine and he looks really thin to me built more like a basketball player my guess he will be a situational pass rusher I would need to see how comfortable he is in space before trying him at OLB