Report: Harvin had Cortisone shot in hip over weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Al Bundy had a cortisone shot before that Andrew Johnson High game...just sayin

Cartire

Reaction score
hawker84":3knjzmv1 said:
beasthawk":3knjzmv1 said:
Cartire":3knjzmv1 said:
Cortisone is a anti-inflammatory that is often give to players at halftime that have issues. It relieves pressure pains in muscles and joints. Him getting one of these shots over the weekend adds nothing more to the already known story line. Can we please stop having a thread for every minute of Harvins day.

What? You don't like it?

I have stayed out of almost all the Harvin threads. But when I saw the title, I couldn't help it. It screamed overreaction. It's no different then someone writing about him taking some IB Profin. It's cortisone. Might as well be part of a balanced breakfast for many people in this league.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
I had a couple cortisone shots in my throwing shoulder. Monster needle, lol. Could hear it break through the skin. If you pushed a decently sized needle through a deflated but stretched out balloon, that's what it sounded like. Unfortunately, it didn't help much. Hoping it has the desired effect on Percy.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Cartire":3vh0bcgt said:
hawker84":3vh0bcgt said:
beasthawk":3vh0bcgt said:
Cartire":3vh0bcgt said:
Cortisone is a anti-inflammatory that is often give to players at halftime that have issues. It relieves pressure pains in muscles and joints. Him getting one of these shots over the weekend adds nothing more to the already known story line. Can we please stop having a thread for every minute of Harvins day.

What? You don't like it?

I have stayed out of almost all the Harvin threads. But when I saw the title, I couldn't help it. It screamed overreaction. It's no different then someone writing about him taking some IB Profin. It's cortisone. Might as well be part of a balanced breakfast for many people in this league.

How is a title that states a fact an overreaction? It's news relevant to this board.

Largent80

Reaction score
Cartire":2qec3k6b said:
Largent80":2qec3k6b said:
Here is the thing. Everyone knows you get those shots to play through pain, but in doing so you are risking a far worse injury because you feel no pain. As a drummer in a rock band having tendinitis the shots allowed me to get through a few gigs but they NEVER cured the problem, but just masked it.

Half truth. It's a steroidal shot. By decreasing inflammation, on top of decreasing the pain, it allows for better blood and lymphatic flow. This in turn increases the rate of healing. It's not used for healing, but it does promote it.

Incorrect...What I stated is 100% truth, this was my personal experience. It helps promote healing IF you do limited exercises that correspond with the injury. Playing all out in a football game isn't one of them.

Outta this thread before it turns into some uglyfest that seems to be permeating the joint.... :escape:

hawk45

Reaction score
It's not news when the high-priced weapon on a SB team, who has been out for the entire season, and who has a surgically repaired hip, needs a shot to calm things down 2 weeks after seeing his first snaps of the year?

What it adds to the storyline is reinforcing the notion that the hip is not fully recovered and that at this point we're perhaps better off shutting the guy down for the rest of the season in hopes he can do something in the playoffs. Nobody on this board wants to see any more of these setbacks and have any more of these threads, I think the best way to avoid it is to leave Percy in the garage as long as we can.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawk45":nk3sbsyg said:
It's not news when the high-priced weapon on a SB team, who has been out for the entire season, and who has a surgically repaired hip, needs a shot to calm things down 2 weeks after seeing his first snaps of the year?

What it adds to the storyline is reinforcing the notion that the hip is not fully recovered and that at this point we're perhaps better off shutting the guy down for the rest of the season in hopes he can do something in the playoffs. Nobody on this board wants to see any more of these setbacks and have any more of these threads, I think the best way to avoid it is to leave Percy in the garage as long as we can.

The guy has to get playing time at some point, even if it means some downtime for recuperation.

I think it makes more sense to allow for a "two steps forward, one step back" process so Harvin will be closer to full go when the playoffs roll around. Slowly increase his workload and get him whatever rest/therapy he needs as necessary.

Mindsink

Reaction score
One thing that we ALL know and agree on is that Pete Carroll & Co are being VERY careful with Harvin. If he's getting a Cortizone shot, I can only trust that they know what they're doing with the best interest of Harvin's long-term Seahawks career in mind.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":hflkxbmv said:

Logically you're right, but it's still super frustrating.

If we keep winning, the Harvin conversations won't get beyond disappointment and frustration. But if we lose? God help this fanbase because these discussions will turn to anger that his so-called "tough" ass isn't on the field earning his bloated paychecks.

hawk45

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1tinsw5g said:
hawk45":1tinsw5g said:

The guy has to get playing time at some point, even if it means some downtime for recuperation.

I think it makes more sense to allow for a "two steps forward, one step back" process so Harvin will be closer to full go when the playoffs roll around. Slowly increase his workload and get him whatever rest/therapy he needs as necessary.

That approach makes a lot of sense in most situations. It could make a lot of sense in this one. 2 things concern me however.

1) If 1-step-back is still feeling pain and having inflammation 2 weeks later, it feels like the damage outweighs the gain.
2) I would like the limited participation approach much better if he wasn't returning kicks. I get that the Kearse injury was sort of a weird coincidence, but Pete sort of lost his head a bit and Percy clearly cannot be trusted to gauge his own health. I don't want to see that happen again.

ITA that in an ideal world he would get playing time, I just think that where he is in his recovery that just may not be an option. We may just need to sit him, and then in the playoffs limit his participation, and let that be the ramp-up if need be.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawk45":zxo3o00r said:
volsunghawk":zxo3o00r said:
hawk45":zxo3o00r said:

That approach makes a lot of sense in most situations. It could make a lot of sense in this one. 2 things concern me however.

1) If 1-step-back is still feeling pain and having inflammation 2 weeks later, it feels like the damage outweighs the gain.
2) I would like the limited participation approach much better if he wasn't returning kicks. I get that the Kearse injury was sort of a weird coincidence, but Pete sort of lost his head a bit and Percy clearly cannot be trusted to gauge his own health. I don't want to see that happen again.

ITA that in an ideal world he would get playing time, I just think that where he is in his recovery that just may not be an option. We may just need to sit him, and then in the playoffs limit his participation, and let that be the ramp-up if need be.

1) Pain & Inflammation are to be expected I would think. The more important question would be if the pain & inflammation is worse than expected or if it is just standard for this type of recovery.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seems to me that means he is going to try and play then. I don't see why he would take a shot if he were IR'd or just going to sit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3g1qiib6 said:
1) Pain & Inflammation are to be expected I would think. The more important question would be if the pain & inflammation is worse than expected or if it is just standard for this type of recovery.

It's standard for any major surgery. Remember, it's barely been three months, so not unexpected. Just FEELS like longer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":167eu9ju said:
Seems to me that means he is going to try and play then. I don't see why he would take a shot if he were IR'd or just going to sit.

Not necessarily. Cortisone is a steroid that reduces inflammation, and thus reduces pain. So regardless of whether Percy plans on playing, he'd have the shot just to help reduce the inflammation and pain..........which then would allow him to start practicing again.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Largent80":1f9wjuu8 said:
Here is the thing. Everyone knows you get those shots to play through pain, but in doing so you are risking a far worse injury because you feel no pain. As a drummer in a rock band having tendinitis the shots allowed me to get through a few gigs but they NEVER cured the problem, but just masked it.

Cortisone is not a pain relieving medication, it only treats the inflammation. When pain is decreased from cortisone it is because the inflammation is diminished.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gin9vwne said:
KCHawkGirl":gin9vwne said:

Not necessarily. Cortisone is a steroid that reduces inflammation, and thus reduces pain. So regardless of whether Percy plans on playing, he'd have the shot just to help reduce the inflammation and pain..........which then would allow him to start practicing again.
Could be. I had major hip surgery myself and I definitely had to be on pain killers/inflammation medicine from time to time through my rehab process.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7e4f1pw5 said:
EverydayImRusselin":7e4f1pw5 said:

It's standard for any major surgery. Remember, it's barely been three months, so not unexpected. Just FEELS like longer.

I'm sure it is standard for this type of surgery. Is it also standard that the patient go out and accelerate on the injured body part and be struck on it or near it, fly through the air, etc. as an NFL player does?

The point here is that if you have to go on the shelf for 2 weeks after limited action, it's not "business as usual" in the recovery process. I'm sure most of us have been injured on this board, when working back into things if we push too hard the Dr generally says yikes, okay, back way off the throttle, and the next time we ramp up we'll do it even more cautiously. It certainly happens, and happens all the time, but the reason it's not a concern is we don't have jobs where we have to go out and leave the throttle wide-open or risk being injured some other way.

By the time you're talking "more cautiously" than limited action in 1 game then out of commission for 2 weeks, you're darned close to being shut down for the rest of the season anyhow, for all intents and purposes.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
According to the NFL Network, Percy Harvin (hip) views himself as "out" for Monday night's game against the Saints.

CANHawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2m3s0rha said:
According to the NFL Network, Percy Harvin (hip) views himself as "out" for Monday night's game against the Saints.

Yes, but what is your scientific opinion on Cortisone..? We require expert opinions and you are allegedly a scientist.

Status
Not open for further replies.